Is delta sync impossible because Mesh relies on FeedSync?

Question

• One of the most useful features would be delta sync (syncing only the bits of a file that change). I've posted before about how important this would be, especially for media management--photo tagging, etc.

But does the fact that all the Mesh syncing relies on the FeedSync protocol make bit-level/delta sync impossible? The FeedSync spec doesn't include anything regarding delta sync, right? I do hope I'm very much wrong about this!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hello Paul,
    The current version of Live Mesh does not use any form of delta sync, but this is definitely on the table for the future--as you've noted, only synchronizing changes is much more efficient than sending the full bits over the wire.

Live Mesh uses FeedSync to represent metadata about files (as enclosures), which is orthogonal to delta sync for these enclosures.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hello Paul,
    The current version of Live Mesh does not use any form of delta sync, but this is definitely on the table for the future--as you've noted, only synchronizing changes is much more efficient than sending the full bits over the wire.

Live Mesh uses FeedSync to represent metadata about files (as enclosures), which is orthogonal to delta sync for these enclosures.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Richard,

Thanks for the explanation! I'm glad to hear that delta sync is "definitely on the table for the future". I got the impression that Mesh was all about simple bi-directional RSS/Atom feeds with file enclosures, but now I understand that FeedSync doesn't dictate how the enclosures are handled by the lower level Mesh platform. So I'll just try to be patient while you guys work your magic in implementing delta sync, file versioning, and whatever else you've got "on the table for the future". This looks to be very exciting...
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:00 PM
  • DevDuck said:

Hello Paul,

Thanks,
    Richard

As I know next to nothing about the meta data or the api, take with grain of salt.  But is seems to me this could be easy.  If each Entity is taken as a delta transaction with its own Blob, then delta could be applied.  It is really no harder in concept then db transactions within the feed and the file is the db of sorts.  Probably wrong.
    • Edited by WilliamStacey Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:29 AM grammer
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:27 AM