none
Workflow deactivated but still works!

Question

• Hi,

I have a workflow (on a Case entity) that has been deactivated. When a user creates a Case, that workflow is triggered and the steps in that workflow are implemented even though the workflow is deactivated.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

-SB

Sharjeel B.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can't see how this could happen unless there is a different version of the workflow somewhere - or there is a plugin that is doing the same steps.

A workflow can only execute when de-activated provided that it was activated as the time it was initiated/started. Existing instances of workflows will continue to run even if the original workflow definition was de-activated. A new instance of a workflow can never be started unless it is activated.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Thank you for your response. Can you kindly explain (perhaps with an example) on the aforementioned:

".... activated as the time it was initiated/started..."

"... Existing instances of workflows will continue to run even if the original workflow definition was de-activated..."

Greatly appreciate it!

-SB

Sharjeel B.

Friday, September 20, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hi Sharjeel,

Consider the circumstance that a workflow is currently 'In Progress' or 'Waiting' on an entity record.  If you de-activate the original workflow, it will not stop that running instances of that workflow, but rather CRM will not start any new instances of the workflow on other entity records.

Does that make sense?

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Friday, September 20, 2013 2:15 PM
  • never mind...I got what you meant.

I'm not sure why it's doing it. I'll check to see what plug in might be doing the same.

Sharjeel B.

Friday, September 20, 2013 2:15 PM