none
communities (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com)

Question

• michael rouppas posted on 09-03-2010 1:49 PM

When I click on join a community I get an application error below the error it looks like object reference not set to an instace of an object. and im not that comp literate to understand what it is telling me to do , need help

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:05 PM
    Owner

Answers

• siblog replied on 04-15-2011 6:38 PM

Thanks Jonathan & many congrats on the fantastic MIX11 demo, WWT has become a truly awesome product (and I'm a brit so when I say awesome I mean AWESOME!)

Yes, communities link works now and yes I have been seeing this issue for months.

I also have an issue that has occurred over last 2 or 3 updates. When I have run the update WWT installer it has failed. I have needed to uninstall the existing version and then run the installer. (I'm running Win7  Home Premium 64 bit)

Owner

All replies

• bam replied on 01-19-2011 3:00 PM

I get the I suppose same issue, always had this issue with WWT.

paste of the erronous webbrowser page WWT opens:

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Owner
  • Ursa replied on 02-22-2011 3:08 PM

I would like to add a little more information to this problem.  I’m getting the same error and have been for over four months now.  You also get the same error when using the error report on the Issue and Support page for WWT, so you cannot report any problems except on the forum (I’ve not been able to anyway).  I’ve tried the problem on three computers and get the same results. Two have the same hardware configuration using a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 2.67 GHz with 4 GB of memory and a ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO graphic card with 512 MB memory.  These two are running Forefront for the antivirus (current).  One of these is running Windows XP Pro (current on SP) with IE 8.  The second computer is running Windows 7 (current on SP) Enterprise 64 bit with IE 8.  The third computer is a Laptop with an Intel T2600 2.17GHz with 2 GB of memory and Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M graphic card with 256 MB memory.  The laptop is running Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit with IE 9 RC1 and is using Security Essentials for its antivirus (current).  I also tried and had the problem with IE 8 on this system as well. I’m running WWT 2.8.15.1 on all three computers, but I had the problem on the previous version of WWT.  On the laptop, I get the error at work and I get it at home (not going through a firewall at home except the one on Windows 7).  From the error message (same as above) it appears that the problem is with the WWT website server(s) and not with the WWT software itself (since you get the error on the error reporting with going straight to the support page without WWT running).

The above error is a major problem since it is affect several parts of the WWT website including the error reporting area.  Please, mark this problem as high.

Owner
  • siblog replied on 03-04-2011 12:32 AM

Same issue - Why no reply to this problem ?

Owner
  • noodlekebab replied on 04-14-2011 4:31 PM

Agreed. Same issue here. Is anybody able to access the communities directory? Has it really been down for four months? I just noticed it today trying to browse available communities, hoping to join one.The apparently broken directory is linked to through the communities tab in WWT. In fact it's the only option available under that tab for those who do not already belong to communities, rendering the communities tab useless. The directory in question seems to be http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/help/SupportHelp.aspx?Page=Communities . Status?

Owner
  • Jonathan Fay replied on 04-14-2011 7:09 PM

I appologize that some of you have been waiting for a fix for so long. It was finally able to reproduce the problem and find a fix.

The community link redirection was broken for some users, a fix is now in place and it should work for all browsers now.

There still may be an issue if you link from a VMWare or Parallels "Integrated" mode where the Mac Browser is used when the link is launched, or clicking a link from Saffari on the Mac/OS side of the WM.

If it is still breaking for anyone let me know.

Thanks

Jonathan

Owner
  • Jonathan Fay replied on 04-14-2011 7:13 PM

I have not been able to reproduce any issues with the link on the Settings...Product Support..

Are you still seeing either issue today?

Owner
  • noodlekebab replied on 04-14-2011 9:24 PM

Great Jonathan, the directory is open on my end now, thanks. Are you aware of any other WWT public community directories? What a cool way to crowd source or otherwise connect WWT users and groups. Are there very many private communities currently operating? Just watched your Kinect demo. Awesome stuff.

-nicholas

Owner
  • siblog replied on 04-15-2011 6:38 PM

Thanks Jonathan & many congrats on the fantastic MIX11 demo, WWT has become a truly awesome product (and I'm a brit so when I say awesome I mean AWESOME!)

Yes, communities link works now and yes I have been seeing this issue for months.

I also have an issue that has occurred over last 2 or 3 updates. When I have run the update WWT installer it has failed. I have needed to uninstall the existing version and then run the installer. (I'm running Win7  Home Premium 64 bit)

Owner