none
Server freezes during startup

Question

• I could not access my shared folders on WHS this afternoon. Pushed the reset button on the server and it tried to reboot. It gives me the screen with the Windows name and the bar in the middle where the squares move from left to right showing Windows is loading. It does that for a few minutes then the squares freeze. My display connected directly to the server has a lot of scrambling to it. I can mostly make out what's showing but not all.
    Do I need to reinstall the software? Is there a possible hardware issue? Was there an automatic update that caused a reboot and went wrong?
    How do I rescue the files from my network folders before trying any other reinstall you may recommend?

Lance O.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    scrambled screen usually points to a broken video card. If the chip is overheating or damaged, this may also affect the entire system, since the video driver may crash it.
    Would the system boot up successfully without video card at all (which is the standard in the grand scheme of Windows Home Server)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by wdesign Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:22 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:25 AM