none
How to restrict the number of cores to be used on a Compute Node

Question

• I am deploying HPC 2008 R2 into student labs. I need to be able to restirct the number of cores that HPC will use so as to leave some capacity on the computer acting as a CN.

At present I have quad core CN machines and HPC 2008 R2 will, happily, allocate four jobs. I would like to control this.

Any help would be welcome

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:05 AM

All replies

• 'Undersubscription' is not a feature currently available in the HPC Pack.

What's the exact scenario that you are trying to implement / why do you need to have un-used cores in your compute nodes?

Friday, February 04, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.

I have access to a large number of computers situated in computer teaching laboratories. These are quad core PCs and have Windows 7 installed (4 GB RAM). I can add them to my cluster as compute nodes and run jobs on them. The problem is that the scheduler will send 4 single core tasks (for example) to run on these and that restricts the available resources for the student using these computers. I am actually doing this on my desktop which is also a quad core and, to be honest, I don't see a lot of degredation in response on my desktop even though the Cluster Manager shows 95% plus.

The students, however, may be running some compute bound app and I wouldn't like to have them restricted by my HPC usage.

Ideally, I would like to use 2 cores for the student and use the other 2 for my cluster.

Hope that makes it clearer?

Cheers

Richard

Monday, February 07, 2011 4:14 AM