none
Need to buy new product key?

Question

• For reference, I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I installed a new processor yesterday, and now Windows wants me to reactivate. I tried to, but it said I couldn't use this key any longer. I know that if I make a major hardware change, then I have to buy a new product key. I don't like it, but I guess I don't have a choice. The activation window has an option for buying a product key online. When I click it, it brings me to the validation page. It tells me that my software is genuine. That's all well and good, but I thought I was supposed to be able to buy a key? I searched your store page a bit and found a way to buy different editions, but nothing about buying just a product key. I'm not interested in ordering a physical copy, or reinstalling Windows. I just want to get a new key.

So, I have two main questions. First, where can I buy just a key, like the activation window suggests? I may be overlooking something, but I just couldn't find it in the store. Second, would buying an upgrade version be able to reactivate Windows? As in, it would treat the upgraded version as a new, separate copy of Windows that is linked to my new hardware? Or would the upgrade still be linked to my old key that is now unusable?

Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:34 AM

Answers

• First, DON'T buy a new product key. You are a long way from having to do that. Download MGAdiag, run it, click copy in the lower part of the menu after it generates it's report. Post the results here.

You should have no problem reactivating after simply replacing a processor, in fact a processor alone should not have caused it to deactivate. Please post the diagnostic and someone here will gladly help you.

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:50 AM

All replies

• First, DON'T buy a new product key. You are a long way from having to do that. Download MGAdiag, run it, click copy in the lower part of the menu after it generates it's report. Post the results here.

You should have no problem reactivating after simply replacing a processor, in fact a processor alone should not have caused it to deactivate. Please post the diagnostic and someone here will gladly help you.

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Kilme,

If you need a new product key, Microsoft is selling them with media at a reduced price at their antipiracy website.   Just go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and press the validate button.  You should fail validation and be offered a kit that comes with a key and media sent to you in the mail.  Win 7 Pro is $149.  THe key is a retail licenese that can be moved from machine to machine.

Jim

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Kilme,

If you need a new product key, Microsoft is selling them with media at a reduced price at their antipiracy website.   Just go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and press the validate button.  You should fail validation and be offered a kit that comes with a key and media sent to you in the mail.  Win 7 Pro is $149.  THe key is a retail licenese that can be moved from machine to machine.

Jim

Why would he need to do that if like he says, he has a genuine license but just changed a processor? Look to the simpler (and cheaper) solutions first.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:27 PM
  • I agree with Carl_OH.

No need to get a new product key untill we have seen the Diagnostic Report.  With the Report we will probably be able to offer a solution that doesn't involve paying more money.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:39 PM
    Owner
  • No reply from original poster.

Issue is assumed resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:44 PM
    Owner