none
cold calling thieves claiming to me Microsoft engineers

Question

• I received a call today from an indian sounding voice claiming to be a microsoft engineer offering to help with problems on my computer which they had detected.

He wanted me to go to my computer and he would help me fix it.

I believe this is fraudulent . He gave a telephone number which responds with the message this service is withdrawn.

Is there anything we can do?

• Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟MVP Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:55 PM should be posted to answers.microsoft.com
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please read: Don’t fall for phony phone tech support

Cheers,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by retiredoldfogy Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:30 PM
  • My wife had a similar call today from someone claiming to "do work for Microsoft". When I arrived home she was already on the screen going through instructions given by him to "improve" the computer. His preamble had been that he knew she was having problems with the computer and that he could help. He offered to repair the computer for £90 without her having to take the computer anywhere by offering a "code number" which would be "secret" just to her. This sounded a bit strange to both of us and my wife had quite a job terminating  the call. How would a complete stranger know that my wife was having problems with her computer or is it an easy assumption to start with? He claimed that his company was "given work" by Microsoft because Microsoft had too much work.Someone did answer on the number given , saying they were "in computers", but then an automatic voice machine cut the call short. Anyone had a similar experience, and what are we to make of it?
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:14 PM
  • I've had a similar call but didn't fall for it.

In a similar fashion to loan companies, these companies call at random knowing fine well that maybe 1 person in 10 will have a computer problem - be it a virus, hardware issue, Windows issue - and not know how to resolve it. That's the trigger which these type of companies need.

Basically, I personally play by the rules of if I need something fixing, I will sort it myself. No cold calls, emails from banks or text messages will persuade me to use their services.

Just don't fall for it - ever.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:30 AM
  • I agree, I received my second call today. My husband threatened to call the police. DO NOT FALL FOR THESE PHONEY CALLERS. 
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:09 PM
  • I haven't received any such call but would advise not to allow them for any help as MS never calls on their own & provides you help.

Regards

Awinish Vishwakarma| CHECK MY BLOG 

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:34 PM
  • i got the same call today as soon as i told him there was no issuse with my computer he hung up so yeah don't comply with what they what anyways just was going to post about this when i found this its kinda old but the calls are still going around be aware people anyways have a good day all
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Just got one of these calls today. Indian/pakistan sounding voice claiming he worked for Microsoft and that they had done a survey of my area and detected malicious messages coming from my computer.

I asked him how did he know it was my computer - did he know my ip address?

He couldn't answer that :)

I then asked him which one of the 6 PCs in my house was he referring to.

No answer to that either.

After that I decided was having too much fun so I hung up.

These calls are still happening.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 1:56 PM