none
Will Windows home server install / run on IBM netvista 5100?

Question

• Hi,

I would like to install / run the home server beta on an IBM netvista 5100

specs:

Dual Pentium III 667MHz

1024MB ECC RAM (4 x 256MB)

IBM ServeRAID 3L controller

5 x 18GB UltraSCSI disk

DDS4 20/40GB tapedrive (internal)

The server is currently running Linux, and I would like to know if I have a reasonable chance to get the home server beta installed and running before completely removing the old config.

A major point of concern may be the BIOS, Quote from the homeserver download site:

"Check that the BIOS in your server is the most recent. In some cases, a PC will not boot any WinPE 2.0 based disk (including Vista RTM) until the the BIOS is upgraded."

I would appreciate any information concerning install / run issues on the above mentioned config.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:57 PM

All replies

• The key is when you click start shut down in windows it must actually turn off the box, and not stop at, "it is okay to turn off your computer"  Now I have no clue how you test this with linux.  Easy enough to test boot.  Just stick the DVD in and see if it boots

Other than that I would lean toward just getting an IDE drive to have more storage than your 5 18gb drives.  This way you could just swap it in and out and keep your Linux. 

Still......Grey

Saturday, March 03, 2007 1:13 PM
  • @still grey, thanks for your reaction. It's good to see this is an active forum

I agree testing if it boots at all is fairly simple. However if for some odd reason it does'nt boot I would like to be sure that's it's not some kind of hardware / config issue, especially since there are also some other possible problems such as brand of DVD disk, " bad burning of DVD" etc. 

I would like to keep the SCSI disks, currently they are in a proprietary IBM raid config (I think it's 1E), however that can be changed. Right now I don't want to invest in new hardware for this relatively old machine. The current config has sufficient space for testing.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with a similar hardware config, either positive or negative.

Thanks again for reaction,

barney

Saturday, March 03, 2007 2:41 PM