none
Friend has illegal copy of Windows 7

Question

• I know a person who downloaded and installed Windows 7 (a .iso file) and also downloaded and installed an activator program, which made Windows 7 think it's genuine. I've already tried to tell him that what he did is illegal, but he says it's genuine... so he won't buy Windows 7. How do I lock up his computer... or do something to his computer so he knows he has to buy a real copy? (Considering I can access it or not...) (This topic was posted at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/4dcc36a6-b841-4b5f-abdb-4fe8548d86e7?prof=required and a moderator suggested I ask here.)

I've heard that he should also download an update, KB971033, but I heard that when something removed his activation (or whatever it's called), he downloaded and ran a WGA remover.
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 4:42 PM

Answers

• Since it has been found that over 50% of the illegal Windows 7 ISO's on the 'net contain malware, such as spyware or rootkits, its only a matter of time when your friend's computer ( which is likely compromised) will transmit his important data to rouge computers and experience personal identity and financial loss issues.  See: Confessions of a Windows 7 pirate.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:22 PM
  • penguin jr. wrote:
    > I know a person who downloaded and installed Windows 7 (a .iso file) and also
    > downloaded and installed an activator program, which made Windows 7 think it's
    > genuine. I've already tried to tell him that what he did is illegal, but he says
    > it's genuine... so he won't buy Windows 7. How do I lock up his computer... or
    > do something to his computer so he knows he has to buy a real copy? (Considering
    > I can access it or not...)

*You* don't. Unless you're a law enforcement officer of some sort,
    acting under the guidance of a court order, anything you do to his
    computer would be just as, if not more so, illegal than anything your
    "friend" has done by pirating software. The only other action you can
    take it to report his actions to the proper authorities.

You've advised your "friend" that what he's done is illegal. If he
    chooses to continue the illegal behavior, it's his choice.

(And then you might want to take a moment or two to decide if you wish
    to remain friends with someone who is so clearly dishonest.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:37 PM

All replies

• Life is about choices, as long as you know that you are making the correct one then I would have to say don't worry about him. You can advise but you can't make decisions for him. Some here may advise reporting it but I don't think that is something you do to a friend, you don't push him under a bus to teach him a lesson.
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Since it has been found that over 50% of the illegal Windows 7 ISO's on the 'net contain malware, such as spyware or rootkits, its only a matter of time when your friend's computer ( which is likely compromised) will transmit his important data to rouge computers and experience personal identity and financial loss issues.  See: Confessions of a Windows 7 pirate.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:22 PM
  • penguin jr. wrote:
    > I know a person who downloaded and installed Windows 7 (a .iso file) and also
    > downloaded and installed an activator program, which made Windows 7 think it's
    > genuine. I've already tried to tell him that what he did is illegal, but he says
    > it's genuine... so he won't buy Windows 7. How do I lock up his computer... or
    > do something to his computer so he knows he has to buy a real copy? (Considering
    > I can access it or not...)

*You* don't. Unless you're a law enforcement officer of some sort,
    acting under the guidance of a court order, anything you do to his
    computer would be just as, if not more so, illegal than anything your
    "friend" has done by pirating software. The only other action you can
    take it to report his actions to the proper authorities.

You've advised your "friend" that what he's done is illegal. If he
    chooses to continue the illegal behavior, it's his choice.

(And then you might want to take a moment or two to decide if you wish
    to remain friends with someone who is so clearly dishonest.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Actually, it's my friend's cousin.

Thank you all for your advice.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:55 PM
  • the guy told you he wanted to damage the friends computer....and you are concerned about his choice of friends    which one  is the bad guy.....it seems you give bad advice
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:44 AM
  • I know a person who downloaded and installed Windows 7 (a .iso file) and also downloaded and installed an activator program, which made Windows 7 think it's genuine. I've already tried to tell him that what he did is illegal, but he says it's genuine... so he won't buy Windows 7. How do I lock up his computer... or do something to his computer so he knows he has to buy a real copy? (Considering I can access it or not...) (This topic was posted at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/4dcc36a6-b841-4b5f-abdb-4fe8548d86e7?prof=required  and a moderator suggested I ask here.)

I've heard that he should also download an update, KB971033, but I heard that when something removed his activation (or whatever it's called), he downloaded and ran a WGA remover.

It looks like u got mad bcuz ur friend is rubbing in ur face what he have done and u havent! and wont tell u! not saying that what he is doing is illegal..  stop playing childish games and suck it up and if u really hard on that report him on the auothorities im sure he will love u after that!!! and all his buddies including his cuz! i belive in this cases u leave it to the authority to take care of this not ur self... soon or later they will know and they will take actions! altho thanks for ur concerns! and please be happy...
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:46 PM