none
Cannot Backup Macbook Pro To Server

Question

• Lets start off by saying that I've had nothing but issues with mhs 2011. Among all the problems I have, I cannot backup my macbook pro. After going through a whole ordeal of just installing launchpad (i had to rename the macs launchpad from lion), its one issue after the other. The only way i can truely connect to my server is through a seperate program "remote desktop connection" and not the whs launchpad (it wont let me connect).

When I launch Remote Web Access from the launchpad, click on my macbook pro and try to click "connect" it says "This Web site needs to run the following add-on: Remote Desktop Services ActiveX Client. The add-on is currently not turned on." 

The main Problem is backing up

Ive tried this method http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/05/05/guide-backing-up-your-mac-to-whs-2011-with-time-machine/ and that didnt work.

I still havent found a way to back up. When i click back up on launch pad, it says "An unexpected error occurred (error code -6584)."

on the server its self, the backup status is "not set up"....

please help

Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:19 AM

All replies

• The issue with remote access to the dashboard or home computers is that you must be running Internet Explorer on a PC for ActiveX controls to run. It will never work on a Mac (and I didn't think a Mac would even show as available for connection, though I don't have one to test with). Also, are you trying to connect to your Mac from your Mac? That also won't work, and shouldn't work with a PC either.

As for backing up to your server with Time Machine, I assume you have OS X "Lion" installed? When Apple released OS X "Lion", they changed the protocols slightly and broke network backups to non-Time Capsule devices. They've been doing this fairly consistently, and I sort of suspect that it's intentional on Apple's part. Eventually NAS manufacturers will figure out how to support Time Machine backups again, then Apple will "improve" Time Machine, etc. In any case, it's really not Microsoft's fault it doesn't work right now; they're behind like all the other NAS vendors.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:05 AM
  • My home server works perfect except for one issue. I have a Mac Book Pro running OS 10.6.8 and it is on my home network. I can see the share files under Finder (I can access all of the share files and my other PC's) and the launch pad works fine.

The issue is that when I try to set up Time Machine it does not "see" the home server as the "back up disk". Is this likely due to the issue that you state above, the slightly changed protocols broke the network backup option for non-Time Capsule devices? If so, do you know of a fix or any rumor of a fix coming from either Microsoft or Apple?

Thank you in advance.  

Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:01 PM