none
MS Online Learning Collections vs Courses (70-640, 70-642)

Question

• Hi, I'm planning to sit exams 70-640 and 70-642 and to have the oppertunity through work to attend a course for one of these exams. I'm currently in a desktop role and have limited server knowledge so I think I'll study 70-642 first. (Well actually I'm going to study N+ between now and then).

There are two courses and online collections available for 70-642:
    Collection 6420: Fundamentals of a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure and Application Platform
    Course 6420B: Fundamentals of Windows Server 2008
    and
    Collection 6421: Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Sever 2008 Network Infrastructure
    Course 6421B: Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure

I want to do the Fundamentals training first but I'm unsure whether to do this as a 5-day course (paid by work) or use the online collection/other resources (which I'll pay for myself).
    Looking at the outline of both of these, it looks like the course covers a bit of networking fundamentals that the collection doesn't. I need to know what else the course covers that the online collection doesn't (or if any topics are covered in more depth between one or the other). Can anyone advise if these online modules are worth purchasing? Is it also recommended that I use these videos in conjuction with the press book? (there's not much information regarding supplementray materials on the site)

What are the 5 day courses like (specifically 6421B)? Are they they quite intense/fast-paced?

Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:26 AM

Answers

• In my opinion, online courses aren't anywhere near as intense as classroom training and online courses also don't seem to provide the same in-depth learning opportunities as a classroom environment. That said, many people prefer online over classroom as they get to study at their own pace and aren't held back (or rushed along) by others in a classroom environment.

So the answer to your question is, it depends i.e. It depends on what you feel more comfortable with.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:45 AM

All replies

• I want to do the Fundamentals training:  I'm unsure 5-day course how to balance the the costs and time ? 

I use videos in with the book hands modules.

Fast Paced : Scheduling is needed 5 days is more than courses food sleep are required to learn retain the information.

Money Courses Training time the balance and 5 days. 

It depends on what I  feel more comfortable with Thanks that helps.

• Edited by Martin Rasch Friday, March 30, 2012 7:14 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Martin Rasch Friday, March 30, 2012 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:34 AM
  • In my opinion, online courses aren't anywhere near as intense as classroom training and online courses also don't seem to provide the same in-depth learning opportunities as a classroom environment. That said, many people prefer online over classroom as they get to study at their own pace and aren't held back (or rushed along) by others in a classroom environment.

So the answer to your question is, it depends i.e. It depends on what you feel more comfortable with.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:45 AM