Does your ISP block ports 80, 443 and/or have restrictions about having a server in your home?

Question

• I would like to hear from as many people that care to respond on this one.  Not really looking for a discussion around this issue.  More just trying to understand the answers to the following questions to collect a little market data:

1.  What country do you live in? 

2.  What is the name of your broadband provider?

3. What type of service are you using from them? What does your broadband provider call their offering?

If you have turned on and configured remote access on your home server.  Please answer the following:

4.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80?  (http://<yourname>.livenode.com/home )

5.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443?  (https://<yourname.livenode.com/remote )

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. USA (Minnesota)

2. Charter Communications (Cable)

3. 5Mb down / 256K up Residential package

4. Yes they block 80

5. Yes they block 443

They block all possible gaming and server ports as a server is against their SLA for residential.

Their only option currently is to upgrade to their business account which is slower (3Mb Down/128K Up) and more expensive.

• Proposed as answer by dwb1 Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:23 PM
    1. USA
    2. SpeakEasy
    3. 1.5/384 Residential DSL "Line-share Select"
    4. No
    5. No

Non-commercial servers are allowed.

All IP addresses are static.

Edited to remove ambiguity.

Edited again to reflect the current question.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:59 PM
  • 1.  UK

2.  BT (British Telecom)

3. BT Total Broadband (up to 8 MB service, with three pricing levels)

4.  No

5.  No

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:01 AM
  • 1. US

2. Verizon FiOS

3. 15/2 Mbps oooooooooooh yeah!

4.  Yes. Sad

5. No. (but I've moved my whs to another port, because another network appliance in my house is using 443)

The TOS  states:

'You may not use the Broadband Service to host any type of server whether personal or commercial in nature.'

which is a silly way to word the restriction, since pretty much any computer in the house can be considered a server at some point.

And later in the ToS, AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) it clarifies it a bit more, even if it ignores the previous prohibition.

"to use the Service to operate a server in a manner that interferes with the network or other users' use of the Service"

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:15 AM
  • I just switched from embarq's DSL to Road Runner's cable so I will talk about both providers.

Embarq DSL

1. Central Texas USA

2. Embarq

3. 3Mbps down, 640Kbps up.

4. No.

5. No.

RR

1. Central Texas USA

2. Time Warner Cable

3. 7Mbps down, 384 up

4. No.

5. No.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:24 AM
  • 1. US (Minnesota)

2. Charter

3. 3 Mb down / 256kb up (cable)

4. Yes

5. No

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:07 AM
    1. USA
    2. Comcast
    3. Comcast High-speed Internet with Powerboost. I have the basic package, which in my area is rated at 6 Mbps downstream.
    4. No, they don't block port 80.
    5. No, they don't block port 443.
    And for the question you probably should ask (but obviously can't Smile ):
    6. Are you potentially in violation of your provider's TOS/AUP?
    No, I'm not. I am permitted (according to my provider, who I asked) to run a personal server for the use of people who reside in my home (or even close family, like Grandma and Grandpa), as long as that server doesn't degrade the performance of their network.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:36 AM
  • 1.  What country do you live in? US

2.  What is the name of your broadband provider? Service Electric Cable TV www.sectv.com

3. What type of service are you using from them? What does your broadband provider call their offering? Cable Modem ; High Speed Internet Service (unique, huh?!

If you have turned on and configured remote access on your home server.  Please answer the following:

4.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80?  (Can you get to your server by going to http://<yourname>.livenode.com/home ? ) No they don't block port 80

5.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443?  (Can you get to your home server by going to https://<yourname.livenode.com/remote ?) No they don't block 443

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:36 AM
  • 1.  US

2.  Verizon FiOS

3.  5mbit down / 2mbit up

4.  Yes port 80 is blocked

5.  No port 443 is available and I am able to use it for remote access

6.  TOS and AUP appear to conflict.  I guess I may or may not be in conflict with them...  I doubt I am affecting the network or other users performance with my WHS machine.

Chad

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:53 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

4.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80?  (Can you get to your server by going to http://<yourname>.livenode.com/home ? )

5.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443?  (Can you get to your home server by going to https://<yourname.livenode.com/remote ?)

Can you rephrase these questions? The standard boolean answers are ambiguous.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:09 AM
  • removed confusing boolean questions - and left URLs as an example of how port 80 and 443 are used to access a home server.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:02 PM
  • any other volunteers - this information will be very useful for us ...
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:15 AM
  • T. Headrick

1. US/NY
    2. Optmum Online
    3. Cable. Optonline with Boost---4.5 mbps up/26.0 down
    4. No
    5. No

Note

Standard Optonline blocks Ports "80" and "25"

For approx 25% more they will give you "Boost" which allows you to open Port"80" and "25"

Running a "Web" or "Mail" Servers are allowed using "Boost"

Also I use

1. US/NY
    2. Verizon DSL
    3. DSL-768kpbsup/3.0 mbps down
    4. NO  - According to their Tech Support. Actual based on my testing -YES
    5. NO

I will have to give up one soon, most likely I will stay wih Verizon DSL and hope the bring FIOS  soon.

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:25 AM
  •  

1. USA (Wisconsin)

2. AT & T Elite DSL

3. IP Address: 1 Dynamic
          Downstream Speed: Up to 6.0 Mbps
          Upstream Speed: Up to 768 Kbps

4. No Block 80

5. No block 443

Friday, July 13, 2007 1:30 AM
  • 1) USA
    2) CableONE
    3) "High Speed Internet Service"  ("Up To" 3mb/ps down, 300k up - Local Cable Company)
    4) No
    5) No

You are welcome. Smile

T. Headrick wrote:

I would like to hear from as many people that care to respond on this one. Not really looking for a discussion around this issue. More just trying to understand the answers to the following questions to collect a little market data:

1. What country do you live in?

2. What is the name of your broadband provider?

3. What type of service are you using from them? What does your broadband provider call their offering?

If you have turned on and configured remote access on your home server. Please answer the following:

4. Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80? (http://<yourname>.livenode.com/home )

5. Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443? (https://<yourname.livenode.com/remote )

thanks in advance.

Friday, July 13, 2007 3:22 AM
  • 1 - British Columbia, Canada
    2 - Telus
    3 - High-Speed Enhanced
    4 - 80 Blocked
    5 - 443 Blocked

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Mines the same as Ken Warren's.  Except I did upgrade my connection to 8Mb/s down and 2Mb/s boost for 25 MBs then slows down to 768KB/s.

I also called Comcast and they said I could run my Windows Home Server and my Xbox for hosting games.  :-D

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Here goes:

1. Canada, Nova Scotia

2. Eastlink

3. Cable Internet access, 10Mb down - 1.2Mb up, Eastlink High Speed Internet 10

4. no

5. no

Vince

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Well, Joel, when my provider used to try to sell me a higher-speed service, I would tell them that:
    1. I don't do large downloads on a regular basis.
    2. I don't participate in online games.
    3. I don't use a peer-to-peer file sharing application.
    4. Everything that I do do with my connection is fast enough, all things considered.
    So I don't really need more speed. In addition, I would tell them that "I won't buy a higher speed plan until I start seeing something close to the base speed I'm paying for". Now, if they'd offer me a symmetrical high-speed connection...
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:19 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

I would like to hear from as many people that care to respond on this one.  Not really looking for a discussion around this issue.  More just trying to understand the answers to the following questions to collect a little market data:

1.  What country do you live in? 

2.  What is the name of your broadband provider?

4.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80?  (http://<yourname>.livenode.com/home )

5.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443?  (https://<yourname.livenode.com/remote )

thanks in advance.

1. The Netherlands

2. QuickNet / MultiKabel (mother company)

3. QuickNet ADSL XXL  (8 mbit down, 1 mbit up)

I don't use WHS, but WS 2008 beta, but:

4. No

5. No

(6. No, I don't violate TOS or AUP)

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 9:48 AM
  • 1. UK
    2. PlusNet
    3. MaxDSL (ADSL up to 8Mbps down, 448Kbps up); and I seriously have no idea any more.  They keep changing the name of their publicly visible residential products, while only occasionally actually moving me to the new products...
    4. Nope.
    5. Nope.

To the best of my knowledge, no major UK ISP blocks (or otherwise prohibits in ToS agreements) any server ports, with the exception of port 25 (SMTP) which a growing number block in various ways.  NTL used to prohibit the hosting of anything on their residential packages, but now that they are Virgin Media they allow you to host servers as long as they don't interfere with the "experiences" of other users on their network.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:02 PM
  • 1.  What country do you live in? USofA 

2.  What is the name of your broadband provider? Verizon 

3. What type of service are you using from them? broadband over fiber optic 5 mb down / 2 mb up

What does your broadband provider call their offering? "FiOS" 

4.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80?  yes Sad 

5.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443? no Smile

as previously stated, T&C for Verizon are at times ambiguous and generally nonsensical.  Considering I only download a file or two a week I think they'd have a hard time arguing that the device I have on my network is a "server".

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:04 PM
  • 1. US

2. Cablevision (owned by Comcast)

3. DOCSIS Cable (15M/2M?) Optimum Online

4. Yes. (http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/optimum.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2140)

5. No.

-- Starfox

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:58 PM
  •  tfieldho wrote:

as previously stated, T&C for Verizon are at times ambiguous and generally nonsensical. Considering I only download a file or two a week I think they'd have a hard time arguing that the device I have on my network is a "server".

Actually, the AUP is quite clear.
    http://www.verizon.net/policies/vzcom/tos_popup.asp (Verizon's Residential (including FIOS) AUP)
    3.7.5 You may not use the Broadband Service to host any type of server whether personal or commercial in nature.

You might not call it a server but WHS is.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

1 - Kuwait
    2 - FAST Telecommunication Co. W.L.L.
    3 - Business DSL 5M link.
    4 - No
    5 - No

My best.

Friday, July 20, 2007 12:11 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Well, Joel, when my provider used to try to sell me a higher-speed service, I would tell them that:
    1. I don't do large downloads on a regular basis.
    2. I don't participate in online games.
    3. I don't use a peer-to-peer file sharing application.
    4. Everything that I do do with my connection is fast enough, all things considered.

So I don't really need more speed. In addition, I would tell them that "I won't buy a higher speed plan until I start seeing something close to the base speed I'm paying for". Now, if they'd offer me a symmetrical high-speed connection...

I only did it because it was $10 bucks more and it doubled my upload.  I really needed a faster upload for online games and WHS.  :-D

Last year it didn't really matter.

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:06 AM
  •  

1. Australia

2. Internode

3. DSL Extreme-Pro

4. Dont block 80

5. Dont block 443

Friday, July 20, 2007 3:45 AM
  • 1 USA
    2 Comcast
    3 Comcast high speed internet 4Mbps down, 384 Kbps up.
    4 no
    5 no

Thanks to WHS, I may be upgrading to the same stuff that Ken has. The 384 kbps upload is choking out the remote functionality. If I could be watching TV shows and movies off my server while I am supposed to be working it will be worth it :-)

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:04 AM
  • 1. Uk

2. AOL

3. 8 Meg

4. No

5. No

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:42 AM
  • Hi quick question? I have Sky Broadband at the moment and they have locked there ports also soi'm thinking of changing to BT total broadband because of this. Does this seam to be the case with BT also? Many Thanks
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:44 AM
  • @Tom Thumb - As as per my post above yours: No. 

I have an issue with remote desktop (but I don't think it's related to BT) and everything else works fine, though the Home Hub can't be auto configured by WHS.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:10 PM
  • 1. United States

2. Cox

3. Cox High Speed Internet

4. Yes (inbound)

5. No

Found the information here:

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp

Lists all ports blocked.

Bob

Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Thanks to everyone who replied !!!

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:45 PM
  • 1.  USA

2. Time Warner Cable of the Carolinas

3. Cable Modem 8mb/s downstream

4.  Block port 80

5.  Block port 443

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:34 PM
  • UK

Virgin

8Mb unlimited (they change the name pretty much every month)

no

no

best

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:50 PM
  • 1 USA
    2 Comcast
    3 Comcast high speed internet 4Mbps down, 384 Kbps up.
    4 no
    5 no
    Thursday, August 02, 2007 11:56 PM
  • 1.  USA

2.  ATT

3.  DSL

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:16 PM
  •  

1.  US

2.  Cox Communications

3.  Cox at Home

4.  Yes

5.  No

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:52 PM
  • 1. Canada (Quebec)

2. Videotron Inc.

3. Cable 5Mbs

4. Yes

5. Yes

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:58 PM
  • 1. UK

2. Vodafone

3. Vodafone At Home -  Upto 8Mbps download (nlimited internet usage).

4 . No

5.  No

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:06 PM
  • 1. Sweden
    2. Bredbandsbolaget
    3. Bredband 20 Pro, 20/3 Mbit (ADSL2+)
    4. No
    5. No
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  

1. UK (Staffordshire)

2. Sky

3. Up to 16mb

4. No

5. No

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:11 PM
  • 1 UK
    2 Freedom 2 Surf (part of Pipex)
    3 Home Broadband (5GB transfer limit)
    4 No
    5 No

They will also allow me to run a SMTP mail server or anything else I wish - only limit is the cap I put on the account for cost reasons.

Andrew
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:44 PM
  • 1) US

2) QWEST

3) DSL 1.5mb down / 756?mb up

4) No

5) No

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:05 PM
  • 1) US - WA state

2) Verizon DSL

3) 3 mbps / 768 mbps

4) Blocked port 80? Looks like YES from what I can tell

5) Blocked port 80? Looks like YES from what I can tell

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:36 PM
  • I see you're posting from work. A better way to test (since your IT department probably blocks at least some ports) would be to use ShieldsUp! from your home, and probe the ports 80, 443, and 4125.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:15 PM
  • 1. Canada

2. Telus

3. DSL High Speed Extreme

4. Yes

5. Yes

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:02 PM
  •  

1. Japan

2. Plala

3. B-Flet's Fiber Optic Mansion Type (100 Mbps up/down)

4. No

5. No

Friday, June 20, 2008 7:22 AM
  • 1.  Country: Canada
    2. Broadband provider" TELUS
    3. Service: High speed ADSL
    4.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 80?  YES and a whole bunch more
    5.  Does your broadband provider block the use of port 443?  YES

http://help.telus.net/services/webcgi.exe?new,kb=extcc_IS,solution=obj(1699),Company=%7B31F97061-1AC0-4D83-A1BE-D7C06017B947%7D

I know about blocked ports now, but I didn't when I bought the Mediasmart Server, and neither did 1st line technical support at TELUS when they insisted twice (indignantly) that they do NOT block any ports.

Wasted hours trying to figure out solution.

Finally (weeks and weeks later) 2nd tier support says they DO block ports. They connect the notion of a Static IP address with the port blocking as if that were a technical hurdle--but it is a "feature" decision on their part. If you buy their business Server internet package $92 per month you can have the ports unblocked.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Hi ,

How did you get your sky router to accept WHS remote access. I have tried everything opened my ports, check them on port detective and found Sky blocked all of them. I can see the WHS when I type in the IP address on a networked pc but when I use the alphabet web address I get an unauthorized access message in red on a back screen.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:38 PM
  • USA
    CLEAR (they suck!!) Las Vegas, NV
    Wireless 4g broadband  unlimited down (suppose to be around 6meg and 1 meg up)
    yes Port 80 is blocked
    no Port 443 isnt. :)
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:05 PM
  • 1) US
    2) Qwest/MSN ISP
    3) Qwest High-Speed Internet® with WindowsLive™ 12Mbps/1.2Mbps ADSL
    4) No
    5) No

Caveats: 1) My employer makes resolving many dynamic DNS addresses very hard somehow. Not sure how. So I have to resolve end-around using a DNS lookup web site and then use http://123.123.123.123/ (or whatever) IP address form to get at my server. 2) The TOS/AUP is probably chock full of the usual "and anything else we don't like is also not allowed". These things are usually kinda like EULAs. Nobody reads them. They generally have something vague enough that they could be construed as prohibiting anything and allowing nothing. They are written for the benefit of whoever is writing it and the detriment of whoever will be expected to implicitly agree to it without opportunity to negotiate.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:10 PM