none
Can Visual Explorer Display by Hierarchy?

Question

• Hi,

I am trying out Visual Explorer and it has been amazing so far. However, is it possible to display the hierarchy? For example, like an organization chart or a family tree? Where the top node is on top, while the leaf node is right at the bottom?

Thanks!

Regards

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:10 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your post.

The relations in Zentity are intrinsic and user defined at the time of creation of the entities. The purpose of the graph is to show the relations. If the relations are hierarchical it will display in that way only.  You need to do a bit of dragging to display in a nice “arranged” format.

Please check this url (not hierarchical)  http://academic.research.microsoft.com/VisualExplorer#338989&citation.

Please let me know if this helps you in achieving your goals or any further query.

-Regards

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Monday, January 16, 2012 9:59 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I understand correctly - you are saying that Visual Explorer will simply show the relations but will not display the hierarchy, even if there is one?

In that case, is it possible to 'fix' the position of an object if you click on it? For example, in the Microsoft Academic Search, the author is always at the top left corner on the Citation Graph. Also, when viewing the Co-author Graph, the display always seems to be in a standard layout (in that nice egg-shaped graph).

Thanks.

Regards

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Yes, the Visual Explorer will simply show the relations but will not display the hierarchy, even if there is one. You need to drag and ‘fix’ the positions of the nodes to put the graph in a desired order.

You can change this default behavior only through coding. You need to customize the Zentity.VisualExplorer project classes and ..\Zentity_Main\Product\Zentity.Web.UI.Explorer\Services\ VisualExplorerHelper.cs file to achieve the same.

Please let me know if you have any further query.

-Regards

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:25 AM