none
I bouht Windows 7 on eBay, didn't notice it's dell branded. Seller says it will work on any PC

Question

• I bought  this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251218343309?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    I didn't notice the photo of the disk itself before i paid. Now I'm worried its a scam. Does it look legit to you. Is it legal to do so? What should I do now (my pc ain't Dell). Can I have a link to buy Windows 7 Home Premium (I want legitimate source).
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:13 AM

Answers

• Return the item as 'not as specified'

It's a fake/con/counterfeit.

report it to eBay as such.e

OEM Licenses (which this *must be*) CANNOT be transferred to new machines.

You can purchase OEM software from legitimate sources (use only well-known brand sources) and install it yourself - MS have changed the rules and basically ignore the old restrictions on owner-installed OEM licenses.

Note that they still enforce the restriction on moving OEM licenses, so if you plan to upgrade the motherboard, it may be better for you to purchase a Full Retail license.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for help, I already ordered full retail home premium, and I requested an refund from the seller. Anyway, I read that OEMs are still not legal to install if I don't plan on selling that PC and that I need to be some OEM official something. Honestly, I just want to keep peace of mind, and maybe I'll be updating motherboard in the future so retail will be handy. And about reporting to eBay, i think guy is trying to avoid responsibility by selling it "with Dell PC" but you have to go there and pick it up cause it's to heavy to send. I'm just tired. Screw them greedy c****!
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:54 PM

All replies

• There is no such thing as a valid disk from Dell, unless bought direct from Dell.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Hi, thing is, I still dint get it, its on its way. And computer is not here either. Im assembling my PC on my own but i read i can't use oem with it (i know that oem can be only sold with computer it comes with, seller actuall says that: The CD and CoA comes with the original decommissioned Dell GX60 computer. Due to the value, size and weight the decommissioned Dell GX60 is available for collection only.) I don't know what to do. Apparently you can install win8 if its OEM but you can't win7. How's this with this OEMs. Seller of copy i ordered says it hasn't been installed anywhere, and that the pcs were discomissioned. Should i just return it once it arrives. Its really confusing. and can i install oem on my pc (i dont care about support and swaping hardware etc that lacks from OEM). This copy apparently has COA sticker and everything. Will i brake the law if i install it? It seem logical that it should be ok, but i just want make sure. Sorry for my writing and all but im absolutetly stressed because of that.
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Return the item as 'not as specified'

It's a fake/con/counterfeit.

report it to eBay as such.e

OEM Licenses (which this *must be*) CANNOT be transferred to new machines.

You can purchase OEM software from legitimate sources (use only well-known brand sources) and install it yourself - MS have changed the rules and basically ignore the old restrictions on owner-installed OEM licenses.

Note that they still enforce the restriction on moving OEM licenses, so if you plan to upgrade the motherboard, it may be better for you to purchase a Full Retail license.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for help, I already ordered full retail home premium, and I requested an refund from the seller. Anyway, I read that OEMs are still not legal to install if I don't plan on selling that PC and that I need to be some OEM official something. Honestly, I just want to keep peace of mind, and maybe I'll be updating motherboard in the future so retail will be handy. And about reporting to eBay, i think guy is trying to avoid responsibility by selling it "with Dell PC" but you have to go there and pick it up cause it's to heavy to send. I'm just tired. Screw them greedy c****!
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:54 PM