Outlook freezes

Question

• I have just purchased a Dell notebook and have been moving programs from my old desktop to the notebook.  My problem is that after loading Office Professional 2003, I can't open Outlook.  Excell and Word work fine, but when I try to access Outlook it freezes and I then send off an error report to Microsoft and the Symantec website opens telling me the problem is with winfax pro.  My problem is that I don't have winfax pro.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:10 AM

All replies

• The same problem started around the same time.

Outlook 2003 has been stable on this machine for more than 6 months. Around Dec 20, 2006, it begins to freeze on its own, usually after some idling. When its window is visible, the status bar does not indicate activity such as 'Archiving...' or 'Send/Receive Status ...'; and I have yet to trigger it to freeze.

Error report used to blame WinFax Pro, and I never have WinFax Pro installed on this machine. On Jan 2, 2007, I started to see a new redirect page. It offers the following:

This problem was caused by Microsoft Office System Software. Microsoft Office System Software was created by Microsoft Corporation.

We've detected that an update is available for your Microsoft Office System product. This cumulative update fixes many of the errors customers have reported to us through the error reporting system.

and a link to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=56432, which seems to redirect me to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/maincatalog.aspx.

It used to give me 3 updates for Project 2000 SR-1, which I don't use and have uninstalled.

The Outlook problem remains. I still get the same message from "Windows Error Reporting". Except now, it has no update for me to install.
    Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I have no answer for you but I do have almost exactly the same problem.  I just loaded Office Pro 2003 and all work well with the exception of Outlook 2003, which freezes periodically.  Error reporting leads to Symantic and Winfax Pro, which is not loaded on my machine.
    Sunday, January 07, 2007 11:04 PM
  • I have just got the same problem today and no solution!!! I am unable to access emails or send any!! Very frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions and why do Microsoft not know how this is caused!!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 4:08 AM
  • I am working thru outlook freezing. from what I have been able to tell, the problem appears after the last service pack is installed. if I roll pack the problem computer to before the sp, the freezing goes away. I tried removing word as the default editor, and this did not help solve the problem
    Friday, January 12, 2007 3:00 PM
  • I have the same problem with outlook 2003 freezing when sending a message.  How do you rollback?"

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:05 AM
  • Just for the record, this is not unique to Outlook 2003.  I am still using Outlook 2002 and this seriously obnoxious and time-consuming problem started after a recent Windows update (in December?).  The message is still blaming WinFax Pro (as opposed to Office), though I, too, have never had the software (or any Symantec software, for that matter) on this PC.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:39 PM
  • I have too the same problem with my outlook 2003 since yesterday morning.

I already tried the restore, but with no success.

Could somebody tell us what to do??

(I don/t have WinFax installed)

Thursday, January 25, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Running XP Media center (SP2) with Office for XP (2002).

I had the freezing problem with outlook when pulling emails from my webmail account from my service provider. Outlook would download the email but then loop in status "send/receive complete" and could only be closed by terminating the process in windows taskmanager.

Afterwards it would send the error report to Microsoft and link me to Symantec telling me there was a problem with Winfax Pro.

I did 2 live chats with Symantec support and got following suggestions to resolve the issue:
    1) Delete all files from your temp folder (Start -> Run -> %temp%) -> Nice idea but the freeze problem remained
    2) Boot windows in safe mode -> Search for files named "Winfax" and delete them. I found winfax.exe and winfax.dll. After rebooting to multi-user Outllook was still freezing up but the message with WinfaxPro disappeared.

After some more googling I found a suggestion for the timeout setting for my SMTP account.
    Go to Tools -> Email accounts -> View or change existing email accounts -> Select your account -> Change -> More Settings -> Advanced -> Server timeouts:
    Change to 10 minutes.

Did some testing with send/receive emails and it worked several times quite ok but now it takes more than 5 minutes to finish the send/receive loop. During this time outlook does not respond but when the send/receive process is done it works again normal.
    I'm not sure what outlook is doing here? Synchronize folders? Or does Norton scan all emails in my inbox?

W11

Saturday, January 27, 2007 3:17 AM
  • Update:

Noticed the my outlook data file was >200MB. I deleted and archived some files and folders. Compression afterwards brought me back to 60MB. The "freezing/hang up" is gone now.

Check also: http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38161

W11

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:15 AM
  • I have this same "Download updates for Symantec WinFax Pro" problem on a few workstations where I work. None of my workstations have ever had WinFax Pro installed on them. My question is directed to ancbob, Microsoft and whomever else may have a fix for this problem. I am curious about what service pack ancbob is referring to. Are you referring to Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2): MAINSP2FF or are you referring to the latest Operating system service pack? I'm not sure why Microsoft hasn't come up with a fix for this problem yet. After speaking/being on hold with Symantec for several few hours about this problem they do not have any information or any resolution to this problem and there is nothing in their knowledge bases about this problem.
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 1:32 PM
  • A couple of thoughts about this, after wrestling with it and googling around.

There is some possibility that it's tied to Internet Explorer 7 - a random comment on one of the other boards mentioned this, and the timing works for me. If you're having this problem, please reply with either

Yes - the problem started when I installed IE7 or

No - the timing doesn't work for me.

Also, try going into Outlook | Tools | Options | Mail Setup and unchecking the "Hang up when send/receive is complete" box. I NEVER use my modem any more ... but the Outlook Hangs problem hasn't happened since I unchecked that box.

worth a shot!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I am having the same problems as noted above, but my lockup occurs when I try to connect to a hyperlink in an e-mail.

I don't have any Symantec products on my machine - I've scanned the computer and registry.

I can't recall if this occurred when I installed IE7, but it's quite possible.

I tried all the recommended fixes in this thread with no luck - does anyone have any additional info - this is frustrating!

Dave

Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I am in the same boat with the Outlook freezing and getting a bogus recommendation that it has something to do with Symantec WinFax Pro.  I do think the problem may have started after a recent windows update, perhaps even IE 7.0.  Microsoft needs to look into this more as it is clearly a problem that is in their court.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 4:17 PM
  • I have had the same problem since updating to Explorer 7 however the problem with Outlook has changed over the last couple of weeks and is getting increasingly worse.  Strangley enough there was a short break where it was working fine then back to hanging (just weird if you ask me).

I have called Symantec only to be told that they no longer support WinFax Pro and therefore do not have any information on the problem, back to microsoft then.

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:09 AM
  • After spending hours trying to fix this very annoying problem (to say the least) I have managed to get my Outlook to work again.

I am running Outlook 2003 on XP Home and do NOT have WinFax Pro or any other Symantec programs installed.

Go to Tools | Options | Mail  Format | Message Format | and untick the radio box/button - Use Microsoft Word 2003 to edit email.

This is probably only a temp fix but i am so annoyed i will try anything to get it working again.  When i was running the Start | Programs | Microsoft Office | MS Tools | Application Recovery, i noticed that Word was running when i did not open Word.

Hope this is of some help to some of you - I do however wonder when a fix will be available, seems to be taking a while???

Monday, February 26, 2007 1:54 AM
  • I have had two different sorts of freezes.  One was the stopping of my auto send/receive after a few minutes.  This I solved after several months of fiddling by turning off my screen saver.  Can't understand why, but have not had the trouble since.  The second happened when I tried to reply or forward emails and it stuck while telling me it was starting WORD as my email editor.  I "solved" this by deselecting the option to have WORD as my email editor.  It would be nice to be able to find a fix that woulf allow me to use WORD again.
    Friday, March 23, 2007 7:44 AM
  • I am having this same issue with 2002 outlook running on an xp pro system.  Have you by chance resolved this issue?
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:30 AM
  • Thank you - you are a super star - it worked a treat, I also deleted all the emails I didn't need!  It has been driving me mad for ages!
    Friday, April 13, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Hi ,

I have a Lenovo laptop and today i ran windows outlook, tried to reply to an email as i normally do and its frozen.  when i clear the task i am being told of the same winfax issue?? Has anyone got any ideas? could it be a virus??

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:47 AM
  • I have now found that when I am trying to reply to or forward an email which contains images that haven't downloaded, and MS WORD is selected as the email editor, OUTLOOK freezes.  To get control again, I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del and close both the OUTLOOK and WORD processes that are running.  My PC is virus free, so I don't think a virus is the problem.  The other problem I had was the auto send/receive set to operate every few minutes would halt after a while on my laptop (but not my desktop).  This I "solved" by turning off my screen saver on my laptop.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:03 AM
  • Yes  the problem started when I installed IE7
    Friday, April 20, 2007 12:15 AM
  •  Yes the problem started with E7

I don't have Outlook at all but when I installed MS Office Pro 2003 my Internet Explorer 7 froze every time I went online.  My Outlook Express was not affected and  continued to work normally. My operating system is XP Home.  A friend who installed  Office 2003Pro on a computer with XP Pro has had no problems.  I have given up and reinstalled MS Office 2000!

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:58 AM
  • I have fixed my problem .  I updated my office and run the repair from the office installation CDROM.  this has worked for me...hope it works...
    Friday, April 20, 2007 11:36 AM
  • How did you update your Outlook? Has Microsoft launched any patch?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 5:47 PM
  • I work as a Help desk tech. I have had two machines (both runnung XP Pro and Office 2003 SP2) and with the same issues listed below. After fighting with them both for several weeks I realized the easiest repair is to delete the user profile and start over. Thus far this is the only thing that has worked to repair this issue. A little annoying as you will lose some information but if you back it all up you'll be fine. Best of luck.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:31 PM
  • I don't understand what user profile you are referring to.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:14 AM
  • I was having this hanging issue when trying to quit Outlook 2003 -- I'm running XP Home, but have not updated to IE 7.   For the record, I did as someone suggested and removed the "use MS Word as the email editor" (whatever it says...) and deselected the hangup option (hangup after dialing?) -- and no longer have the problem.  I never told Outlook to use MS Word nor did I specify anything about hanging up after dialing.  

I'm having shutdown issues as well -- not sure if the two problems are related...
    Monday, April 30, 2007 4:19 PM
  • I am having issues with a brand new Lenovo T60 with Windows XP SP 2 running Office 2003, specifically Outlook 2003. At various points while using Outlook the program will freeze and you have to shut it down in task manager. The error that it give is has the heading as follows:

Outlook 2003 stops responding when accessing Winfax PRO 10.02 or 10.03

The error also references Symantec but Norton was removed when the laptop was received. No version of Winfax PRO has ever been on this machine. The laptop is also using IE 7.0. Is there a fix that will stop whatever is causing this freezing?

Monday, May 07, 2007 11:15 PM
  • I am not sure about WinFax problem, but the way I fixed my outlook freeze problem was the theme change. From XP theme I change to Classic style. I don't have the problem any more. The only thing is that it takes a few sec to download messages from the server, but it does not freeze, it shows you that it is working with mouse pointer chage to 'sand clock'. Don't upgrade to IE 7.0. it has some issues. Machine has XP Pro SP2 and I do have Symantec running.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Great! This seems to work!

Makes me glad you helped me to solve it.

Makes me mad and very angry at MicroSoft, the brilliant company that caused this!

Makes me understand much more about Apple-users!!!

Windwos XP = Windows Xtra Problems and still it is.

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Anne, what seems to work???

Thursday, July 10, 2008 8:30 PM
  • I have had Outlook 2003 for yrs with not many problems until yesterday when it opened, began to receive messages, and then froze.  It took forever to even close it.

The only new programs I have installed are for my new G3 Iphone - Itunes and Mobile Me - which I have since removed.

Here's what I've tried so far:

remove and reinstall Outlook

search for updates

Detect and Repair for Outlook and Office

Ran a Bug and Registry Cleaner program

Cleared all Temp Files

Anyone have a clue?

When I turn on the computer I get an error message for NMindexStoreSvr.exe

When I run the bug program there are unfixable errors for four 'SHARED TOOLS' HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE.....etc

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:19 PM