none
SYSTEM ERROR 32

Question

• Software Licensing service is not running.
    My Vista Home Premium OS has been working for over a year of validations. 
    WGA diagnostic tool says that my OS is Genuine.

HOWEVER, Microsoft Vista Geniune Validation Results states:
    This copy did not pass geniune validation.
    And I now know that Microsoft has degraded my Vista OS capabilities.

My problem occurred after a Windows Update on Feb 6, 2008: 
    2/6/2009 12:35:56 PM
    LegitCheckControl.DLL WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE VALIDATION was modified by Mircosoft via an update

2/6/2009 1:21:41 PM
    Security-Licensing-SLC ERROR 

Have tried multiple suggestions to fix the issue, but still get 
    System error 32 when I run "net start slsvc"

thank you in advance,
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 9:41 PM

Answers

• Thank you display,

My Engineer should contact you shortly

Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 11:19 PM
    Owner
  • SFC scan seems to have resolved my problem, at least temporarily, after I ran it again.  SFC did not work the first time I used it early on in my month long process to regain my genuine Vista functionality and features.  Also I did run some regedit and other processes suggested by privious technicians and web information between my SFC scans.  I recall that my first SLVC not working error was Error 5, but then changed to Error 32 after I ran some processes to attempt to resolve the issue.  SFC says that I still have corrupted files that can not be repaired.  So I am not sure if a combination of processes or using SFC scan multiple times resolved the problem.  But I know to use SFC scan as the first process now to attempt to fix my next GWA revalidation that Microsoft determines nonvalid then reduces my genuine Vista features and functionality. 
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hello display,

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run
    4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.
    5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/f4f048d7-d9e5-4886-8fca-73bc0f025fad into the browser address bar.
    6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 10:13 PM
    Owner
  •  

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-F4GJK-KG77H-B9HD2
    Windows Product Key Hash: iJAth4TbScMi8HdcPurlASXdEkw=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00204
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {C28D1E0E-A0A0-47B2-9060-F46AAFFF3948}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\Spsys.sys[hr = 0x80070714]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C28D1E0E-A0A0-47B2-9060-F46AAFFF3948}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B9HD2</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00204</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2868369887-3701843791-83780778</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Dell XPS420                  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20071112000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>72313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>B9K    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>1EB6428B3F65DB0</Val><Hash>uggLnt+zBxFTIXWERZj/3s9HBnM=</Hash><Pid>81602-OEM-6872892-25994</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: OAAAAAIABAABAAEAAQACAAAAAgABAAEAeqi+7cSm/DJEtfb5ZP6I/a7v0DXy9BrsrB3KaaxWKoU=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   DELL    B9K   
      FACP   DELL    B9K   
      HPET   DELL    B9K   
      BOOT   DELL    B9K   
      MCFG   DELL    B9K   
      SSDT   DELL  st_ex
      OSFR   DELL    B9K   
      SLIC   DELL    B9K   

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Hi again display,

What is the full error message, you get, when you use the "net start slsvc" command?

the first part of the message is "System error 32" but there should be another line to the message.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:38 PM
    Owner
  • C:\Windows\System32>net start slsvc
    The Software Licensing service is starting.
    The Software Licensing service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 32 has occurred.

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:17 PM
  •   We have found that there are actually a number of different types of the "Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue. We clasify them by what error message the user gets whe he/she tries to restart the service.

We have a fix (and a root cause) for the "System error 3, The system cannot find the path specified." type. But we do not yet have a fix for the "System error 32, The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" type. 

If you are willing, I would like to have my Engineer contact you directly to troubleshoot the issue.

To do this, we will need you to go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and create a (no cost) Service Request and then post the SR's Confirmation Number in this thread. (Be sure to include, in your SR, an email address and/or a phone number that we can contact you at).

Thank you!,
    Darin MS

Thursday, March 05, 2009 7:55 PM
    Owner
  •  Support Request Number - 1095993280
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Thank you display,

My Engineer should contact you shortly

Darin MS
    Monday, March 09, 2009 11:19 PM
    Owner
  • Need a Microsoft complaint email address or legal department email and mailing address.

Microsoft's incorrect determination that my Vista was non-genuine and then Microsoft later reducing the capability of my Vista OS is not helpful to me.  My Vista is genuine and has always been geniune. 

I had a Microsoft "False Positive" month long bad experience with WGA that totaled over 10 hours and I want to make a complaint about the lack of customer assitance in identifying and then fixing a "False Positive" Microsoft induced problem in my Vista OS.  Microsoft reducing the capability of my Vista OS made it much more difficult to finally resolve. 

thank you
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hello display,

Microsoft's mailing address and phone number are:

Microsoft Corporation
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052-6399

1-800-Microsoft (642-7676)

Darin MS
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:17 PM
    Owner
  • Darin,

Microsoft says that even if a user stystems enters reduced functionality mode, users can enter a genuine product key at any time to activate and return to full functionality. 
    I don't see you giving the false positive users with genuine Vista the instructions to enter a genuine product key at any time to activate and return Vista to full functionality.  Why is that? 
    Does entering a genuine product key at any time work for false positives that are showing "Genuine" via their  WGA diagnostic report?

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/midsizebusiness/wga/wgafaq.mspx

Q. What about false positives? Will they need to reactivate as well?
    A.

A false positive occurs when a customer attempts to validate their genuinely licensed copy of Windows, but is incorrectly given a “non-genuine” result. False positives are a relatively rare occurrence. During these situations, Microsoft works closely with customers via our support lines and customer forum to help the user recover. In the event of a mistake, customers will have a grace period in which they will have full functionality and Microsoft support. Even if their system enters reduced functionality mode, users can enter a genuine product key at any time to activate and return to full functionality, and at no time will users be prevented from accessing their personal data.

Q.
    A.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hello display,

I will try to provide an answer to all you questions:

"Microsoft says that even if a user stystems enters reduced functionality mode, users can enter a genuine product key at any time to activate and return to full functionality."

Actually, in the WGA FAQ, Microsoft says "There are several remedies available depending on the circumstances that have occurred" some of those remedies do, indeed, include entering a Valid Product Key.  (Example: If a users enters Reduced Functionality Mode because they have a Pirated or otherwise invalid Product Key, then yes, entering a Valid Product Key would return the Vista to full functionality).

Please note that the 'Exit Reduced Fuctionality Mode' part of the FAQ does not mention (nor pertain to) False Positives, as you appear to suggest in your next question. 

"I don't see you giving the false positive users with genuine Vista the instructions to enter a genuine product key at any time to activate and return Vista to full functionality.  Why is that?  

Actually, you hardly ever see me talking to False Positive users, because most users in this forum (you included) do not have a 'False Positive issue', they have a 'Tamper Issue'.

From the WGA FAQ:

Q. What is “tampering”?
    A. There are a set of Windows system files and processes that are protected by Software Protection Platform (SPP) in order to prevent licensing hacks and work-arounds. Because changes to these files and processes can destabilize the system or open it up for further attacks, Microsoft requires tampered systems to be reinstalled from original media. Some forms of piracy may trigger the tamper response and cause Windows to require reinstallation.

The Software Licensing Service is part of that "set of Windows system files and processes".   Your Key is already Valid, so telling you to entering a Valid Product key would do nothing to resolve your issue. Someone or something is messing with Vista's protected systems files and processes (in your case, the Software Licensing service)

I think the better question would be:

"Darin, I don't see you telling user to reinstall from the original media when thier Vista is found to be in a Tamper state, why not?"

That's because I don't like telling users to reinstall. It's not a fun thing to do and it's definitly not a good user experience. So I try to fix the tamper as best I can. And if I can find a Cause for a specific tamper scenario, I pass it on the the Developers and push for some way to (if possible) not have that scenario occure in future versions.

Some tampers are caused by:

~Incompatible programs (which can be caused by the user installing a Program that is not compatible with Vista or by a Virus that does the same sort of thing as an inompatible program)
    ~Modified or corrupt system file (which can be caused by a bad sector on a hard drive, attempted piracy activity, wirus damage, random corruption and so on)
    ~Because a vista depedancy is erroring (such as being unable to restart a Service. It's a core function of Vista to start and stop Services, so even though the Software Licensing Service, itself, is part (and is supported by) WGA, the mechanism for starting and stopping is not. It's part of (and supported by) Vista support). 

We have found that the Soaftware Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart) issue can be cause by a Malware infection suppressing the service or by a Registry Cleaner that deletes the Registry Entry that tell Vista where the system file (that controles the service) is located. We do not yet know the cause of your specific variation of the issue.

"Does entering a genuine product key at any time work for false positives that are showing "Genuine" via their  WGA diagnostic report?"

Microsoft does not say that entering a product key, at any time will work for, false positives. The 'False Positive' part of the WGA FAQ does not say anything about Product keys.  It clearly states: " False positives are a relatively rare occurrence. During these situations, Microsoft works closely with customers via our support lines and customer forum to help the user recover."

Remember:
    A False Positive is when a Genuine Vista goes Non-Genuine for no reason.
    A Tamper is when a Vista (Genuine or Not) goes Non-Genuine because a Protected Vista System File has been (or is being) Tampered in some way. (iin other words, it goes Non-Genuine for a reason)

I hope I have answered all your questions,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:26 PM
    Owner
  • So I did not have a Microsoft MGA false positive, but a Microsoft Vista SPP tamper identification from my computer?
    So Microsoft then provided me information that my Vista did not pass validation and was non-genuine and then Microsoft reduced the functionallity of my Vista?

Friday, March 27, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Hello Display,

That's not exactly the way it works.

The Software Licensing service is one of the things that checks Vista for Tampers. When a Tamper is detected, Vista knows that no matter what the cause, changes to those files can destabilize the system. However, Vista doesn't know if the Tamper is an active attempt to bypass it's security or if the Protected system file was modified for some less sinister reason (such as random corruption, incompatible program or such) it assumes worst case and Vista goes Reduced Functionality mode.  but my understanding is that Vista goes into Reduced Functionality a) to indicate something is wrong with one or more of it's Protected System files and b) to minimize any further breach of it security.   

Another way of looking at it is that if Protected System Vista files have been changed, it's not the same software as Microsoft intended...it's not Genuine Microsoft Software anymore. The Product key may be Valid, it's the software that's not.

Your situation, is a little more complicated. The Software Licensing Service wouldn't start and as such, Vista couldn't even tell if there is a Tamper occuring or if it is Genuine or not (that's why the Validation Status in the Diagnostic Report can show either Genuine or Non-Genuine, in situations such as yours).  The Software Licensing Service should always be running and since the main function of the Software Licensing Service is to check for Tampers, if the software Licensing service is Not running, Vista must assume that the reason for it not running is that someone (or something) is attempting to Tamper protected system files and compromise Vista's security. Which puts Vista in a Non-Genuine state and triggers Reduced Functionality Mode.

But back to troubleshooting your specific problem,

What's the status of your issue? 
    Is your Vista still experiancing the Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart) issue? 
    When you attempt to restart the Service using the Net Start slsvc command, do you still receive the System error 32, The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process' message?
    Has my Engineer contacted you?

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, March 27, 2009 7:01 PM
    Owner
  • SFC scan seems to have resolved my problem, at least temporarily, after I ran it again.  SFC did not work the first time I used it early on in my month long process to regain my genuine Vista functionality and features.  Also I did run some regedit and other processes suggested by privious technicians and web information between my SFC scans.  I recall that my first SLVC not working error was Error 5, but then changed to Error 32 after I ran some processes to attempt to resolve the issue.  SFC says that I still have corrupted files that can not be repaired.  So I am not sure if a combination of processes or using SFC scan multiple times resolved the problem.  But I know to use SFC scan as the first process now to attempt to fix my next GWA revalidation that Microsoft determines nonvalid then reduces my genuine Vista features and functionality. 
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:24 PM