none
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 fails to install (Code C0000135)

Question

• I allowed Windows update to install SP1 on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit laptop.  It seemed to install fine although Internet Explorer 8 stopped working.  I did a system restore to pre-SP1, had to uninstall and reinstall Norton Internet Security and regained Internet Explorer 8 functionality.  I waited a week before attempting to install SP1 again.  Now, however, SP1 fails during installation with the following error:

spinstall.exe-system error  "The program can't start because sqmapi.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I checked windows explorer and there are several hits for sqmapi.dll on my computer so I'm not sure why I'm now having this problem.  Any suggestions?  The Windows Update Code is C0000135.

Friday, March 04, 2011 4:04 AM

All replies

• I allowed Windows update to install SP1 on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit laptop.  It seemed to install fine although Internet Explorer 8 stopped working.  I did a system restore to pre-SP1, had to uninstall and reinstall Norton Internet Security and regained Internet Explorer 8 functionality.  I waited a week before attempting to install SP1 again.  Now, however, SP1 fails during installation with the following error:

spinstall.exe-system error  "The program can't start because sqmapi.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I checked windows explorer and there are several hits for sqmapi.dll on my computer so I'm not sure why I'm now having this problem.  Any suggestions?  The Windows Update Code is C0000135.

This is the EXACT same problem that I have, Norton and all. Anyone have any help, please???
    • Proposed as answer by barbiebabe Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by barbiebabe Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:54 PM
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Got same problem with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit and SP1.  Do not have Norton.  Was using Firefox, not IE8.
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Same here. I was having issues with my usb tv tuner after the sp1 update so I restored. The tuner still isn't working, so I'm not sure what caused it. I tried to reapply the sp1 update and got this same error. I get so frustrated with hardware and software not playing nice and random error messages! I spent several hours tinkering and got nothing out of it but a headache.
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Your post is off topic here in the TechNet Site Feedback Forum because it is not TechNet Site Feedback.  Please see this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnfeedback/thread/24ee65e4-0f35-403c-9bf7-41333cd13cb5

Moving to off topic.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:32 PM

This is the EXACT same problem that I have, Norton and all. Anyone have any help, please???

hazel jardine
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:57 PM