none
Backup Failed - Not enough storage space to complete - But I do, don't I?

Question

• Ok, this thing has me confused. It was working pretty good, then I started getting the error about System hard drive only having less than 5GB, which I have over 5 and I thought I read that it is a known issue so I wasn't too concerned. But now that backups are failing I am more confused than ever.

I get the error that "There was not enough free server storage space to complete the backup"

Server makeup
    Home built
    Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v1 Motherboard
    Athlon XP 2800
    2 GB RAM
    3 HDs WD 250 which has WHS installed on
                 Max 120 for data
                 Max 160 for data
    No software installed on the server (other than audio, video and sata drivers)

I used to backup all three HD in my computer, when I started getting this error I dropped it down to just my "C" drive. This did not help. C drive has XP Pro and some apps and junk. with 23.1 GB of 48.8 used.

Server total size = 500.1 GB
    Shared folders = 146 GB
    Duplication = 146 GB
    PC Backup = 112 GB
    Operating System = 10 GB
    FREE SPACE = 86 GB

If I have 86 GB free and try to do an INCREMENTAL backup of 23.1 GB how can this thing fail for not enough storage space?

The only possible connection I see to this is that on the server in My Computer the SYS (CSmile drive shows 10.0 GB total and 5.21 GB free and the DATA (DSmile drive shows 222 GB Total and 2.22 GB Free. Is the 2.22 the issue, if so how do I solve it?

Last night auto backup failed
    Then the next two (one manual, one auto) worked ok.
    Then the next 4 (2 each) failed.
    Before this backups worked all the way back to 4/23.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:16 PM

All replies

• ok, the stupid smiley faces are ( C : ) and the ( D : )
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:18 PM
  • I think that the D: being full is your problem.

WHS uses the D: kind of like a staging area were it then moves the data to other drives.  It shouldn't have filled up the D:.

Have you accessed the D: directly?  You are only supposed to access storage in WHS thru the Shared Folders.

Mash

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Nope, I didn't do anything towards "D"

So D should be throwing more info onto the empty area and leaving itself emptier?

How much space does everyone else's D have?
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I turned off about 50 GB of duplication. My total free space went to 143 GB and my D Data Drive went up to 43.9 GB Free and last nights backup went fine.

I'm not understanding this and wish someone could help here.  I had enough space before, why wouldn't it work?
    Friday, May 18, 2007 10:58 AM
  • Funny thing is, the error about the system drive having less than 5 GB free went away when I removed duplication to increase the reported size of the D Data drive.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:12 AM
  • So no one has a clue why?

No one else could post if their D drive is or isn't almost used up?

Bummer
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:20 AM
  • I'm having the same issue over here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1331630&SiteID=50

And I don't even do any backups.  No solution in sight, apparently.  Sad

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:38 PM
  • I think the indexing of the shared folders is - by default - stored on C: so if you have a lot of files then the indexes get large (I'm not sure if it indexes the dupes as well....). Someone did post here about recreating his index on D: for this reason, to free up space on C:

The shuffling of data between drives is when WHS says it's "balancing the storage" , so that's when data gets moved to other drives - it doesn't happen immediately, and can take a time to process while it does its clever processing, especially if there's a lot of it, so the D: needs to be as large as possible to start with.

I do have storage space at the moment, but I have a seperate problem with Backup at the moment after a drive failure and therefore am not giving it a proper evaluation.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:51 PM
  • ok, does anyone know if these two could be related?

The "system hard drive has less than 5gb free space error message." and the "There was not enough free server storage space to complete the backup"

Not that I expect anyone to help. Excuse my sarcasm, but look at how many responses are here now. I pretty much gave up on this thread, for me it's hanging on by a thread.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Evening,

Firstly, I'm not one of the resident experts by any means!

Having said that, there are a few threads on here that might be relevant

Initially, 'system hard drive free space', is being eaten up by either the sytems logs building up to a large size, or the indexing service index is very large.

The answer to the log sizes, is to copy them to another area (Drive D:/?) then delete the originals - instructions are in one of the threads - have you had any problems which might have led to large log files?

Again, in another thread, a couple of people have set the indexing service to use drive D.

The backup failed message is probably also related to this lack of space as the backup service initially copies it's files to the C drive, then moves them around as required according to another thread. I think that's one of the reasons that the system drive size has been increased in later builds.

HTH,

Colin

Friday, May 25, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Hi Colin

The data is transferred to D:, which is why the C: drive is set as small as possible - to leave the maximum space for data on D: This is also why the primary HDD should be as large as possible.

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Well, it's beta software and no answers are guaranteed. Some of my questions are unanswered and maybe that's because people don't have an answer. I can understand your frustration but hopefully it's something that's sorted in RC1.

If the C: drive gets very low on space that would have an impact on the swap file; I don't know if that would affect the transfer though.

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:29 PM