hotmail email sent from my acct not by me, how did it happen? PC full scan didn't find virus/malware

Question

• received hotmail postmaster email that failed to deliver the following email that I did not send.  I ran full scan using 3 different software including ms onecare, none of them found virus or malware.  How was the email sent?  Just someone used my login to send it?  I've change changed my password, what else do I need to do to secure my pc/accnt?  Thanks.

Below is the email
    Subject: Secure shopping !
    Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:22:54 +0000

Dear friend!
    i would like to introduce a good company who trades mainly in  electornic  products.Now the company is under sales  promotion for Christmas,all the products are sold nearly at its cost.They  provide the best service to customers,they  provide you with  original products of good quality,and what is more,the  price  is a surprising happiness to you!It is realy a good chance  for  shopping.just grasp the opportunity,Now or never!
    The web address: vshopcn.com

• Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:15 PM user suspects virus (From:Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions)
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suspect that your email address was simply forged as the sending email for spam and the stupid server bounced it back to you.
    However, it could be that your email account has been compromised.

You may want to review this post:

https://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/accounts/archive/2008/10/25/what-to-do-if-you-think-your-accounts-been-stolen.aspx

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you believe that have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:15 PM
  • if you are getting failure notice then i must say that someone else is using your id.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:04 PM
  • A copy of this same spam email was just sent earlier today from my wife's email account to everyone in her address book.  Of course she claims she did not do anything to trigger it, but it must have been an account breach and not just an email from address spoof since they got all the addresses out of the address book, and the sent emails show in the sent folder.  AVG scanning is not finding any virus.  I'm still trying to figure out what she was doing to trigger it.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:47 AM
  • A copy of this same spam email was just sent earlier today from my wife's email account to everyone in her address book.  Of course she claims she did not do anything to trigger it, but it must have been an account breach and not just an email from address spoof since they got all the addresses out of the address book, and the sent emails show in the sent folder.  AVG scanning is not finding any virus.  I'm still trying to figure out what she was doing to trigger it.

I wouldn't pursue trying to figure out how the account may have been compromised - but pursue it per the instructions in my prior answer, cliffordmt.
    The most common reason for this is that the account was hacked - either through a successful phishing effort or through an outright hack of the account.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:37 PM