none
Hard drive removal not successful. File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal.

Question

• This is about purposely removing 1 of three "added" drives of equal size in a nearly empty test server.  No HDD failure.  No concerns about data loss.  Just want to remove the disk from the list of media in WHS Console Server Storage.

1. I removed one of the hard drives while the system was off.
    2. I rebooted WHS.
    3. WHS Console reports that a disk is missing.
    4. I attempt to remove the disk from the list of disks in Server Storage (Select disk > Remove > Next).
    5. WHS responds:  Hard drive removal not successful.  File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal. Retry or Cancel.
    6. CHKDSK on all remaining drives shows no errors, no repairs made.
    7. WHS Cleanup 3.0.1.0 fails to resolve problem.

This is obviously upsetting.  Thank goodness this was only a test.  All I want to know is HOW DO I REMOVE THE MISSING DISK?  So damn simple yet it completely baffles WHS.  Obviously the disk is presumed gone dead.  Why does it hang on to it despite all efforts to the contrary?  I think I have lost all faith in this product.  Thank goodness I never experienced a real fault while running this in production.  Am I beating a dead horse?

System description:

1. Oracle VirtualBox + 4 virtual hard drives
    2. WHS Quattro, latest patch level
    3. Threatfire (suspended)
    4. Diskeeper 2008 WHS Edition (paused / stopped automatically)
    5. 1 system drive and 3 equally sized "added" drives were attached.
    6. Folder duplication was set for all folders.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:58 PM

All replies

• All I can tell you is that running Windows Home Server V1 as a guest OS under a virtualization tool is not a "supported" scenario, i.e. any issues you may encounter are going to be blamed on the virtualization tool, rather than Windows Home Server. (This is as opposed to WHS 2011, which is supported as a guest OS under HyperV.)

I kind of doubt that the virtual environment is really to blame here (more likely something to do with add-ins) so try the same thing with physical hardware and let us know what happens...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, March 05, 2012 10:37 PM