none
Lots of "Invalid File Handle" problems.

Question

• Hello. I own an HP MediaSmart and I am running the very latest WHS bits. 

I see "Invalid File Handle" when I try to access many of my files. 

I have never changed the configuration of my MediaSmart; never added or removed drives; etc. There are no health problems reported.

I see lots of discussion about this issue from over a year ago, including an acknowledgement from Microsoft of a data corruption bug. My understanding is that this is quite old. What is the latest information about "invalid file handle" errors?

Finally: I seem to have lost over 100 photos from 2004. Needless to say, I am not thrilled. How can I recover these files? "fsutil reparsepoint delete XXX" does not help -- it simply says "invalid file handle."

Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Lara,

I am trying to copy the files onto a separate windows machine, so I'm using network shares. I'm actually using robocopy to do this (right now) and it is keeping a log of the files that are broken. Whether I copy via wired or wireless does not make a difference (and I'm wired right now.) I can also see that even if I'm directly on my WHS box, the files still show 'invalid file handle'.

There doesn't appear to be much of a pattern to the problematic files. Sometimes all files in a directory (for example, all MP3 files in a directory) cause 'invalid file handle'. Sometimes just a handful of them cause the problem. For my music shares, a lot of the troubled files seem to have been accessed recently (via iTunes on another computer); for my photographs, the distribution of broken files seems very random to me. I certainly haven't recently accessed, for example, my 2004 photographs -- but they appear to be broken.

I have duplication enabled for all of my shares.

Looking at the event log on my server, under "HomeServer" I see about a dozen ERROR 270 and ERROR 262 messages going back several months. And under "System" I see a enormous number of ERROR 55s, all of which say 'The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U'

Okay, so things are corrupt. Is this a sign that one of my drives is failing, and if so why don't I see any health warnings? Where should I go from here to recover my files?

Thanks,
    Dave

Network Health would probably alert you to the drive errors within the next few days. After nightly chkdsk fails for several days in a row, it flags a disk as bad. We have a bug open to change this behavior in a later version of the product but for now, it does not immediately flag the drive when these events show up.

Please run chkdsk /f /r on the drive C:\fs\U. If, after that, you still cannot access the files, remove the drive from the storage pool so that the secondary shadows can be promoted. Theo has the best way to determine which HDD is which here.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hello. I own an HP MediaSmart and I am running the very latest WHS bits. 

I see "Invalid File Handle" when I try to access many of my files. 

I have never changed the configuration of my MediaSmart; never added or removed drives; etc. There are no health problems reported.

I see lots of discussion about this issue from over a year ago, including an acknowledgement from Microsoft of a data corruption bug. My understanding is that this is quite old. What is the latest information about "invalid file handle" errors?

Finally: I seem to have lost over 100 photos from 2004. Needless to say, I am not thrilled. How can I recover these files? "fsutil reparsepoint delete XXX" does not help -- it simply says "invalid file handle."

Hi,

Can you provide the exact steps for how you are accessing the files? Is this through the shares i.e. \\servername\sharename? Are you accessing this over a wireless network? Do you receive the same results for all files or just a certain group? Do you get this when copying in groups or one file at a time? If you copy over a wired connection, do you get the same error?

If you view the system event log on the server, does it indicate any I/O errors or possible disk errors such as an event ID 55, event ID 7 or event ID 26?

Did you have duplication enabled for the shares where these files were stored?

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Hi Lara,

I am trying to copy the files onto a separate windows machine, so I'm using network shares. I'm actually using robocopy to do this (right now) and it is keeping a log of the files that are broken. Whether I copy via wired or wireless does not make a difference (and I'm wired right now.) I can also see that even if I'm directly on my WHS box, the files still show 'invalid file handle'.

There doesn't appear to be much of a pattern to the problematic files. Sometimes all files in a directory (for example, all MP3 files in a directory) cause 'invalid file handle'. Sometimes just a handful of them cause the problem. For my music shares, a lot of the troubled files seem to have been accessed recently (via iTunes on another computer); for my photographs, the distribution of broken files seems very random to me. I certainly haven't recently accessed, for example, my 2004 photographs -- but they appear to be broken.

Looking at the event log on my server, under "HomeServer" I see about a dozen ERROR 270 and ERROR 262 messages going back several months. And under "System" I see a enormous number of ERROR 55s, all of which say 'The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U'

Okay, so things are corrupt. Is this a sign that one of my drives is failing, and if so why don't I see any health warnings? Where should I go from here to recover my files?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hi Lara,

Thanks,
    Dave

Network Health would probably alert you to the drive errors within the next few days. After nightly chkdsk fails for several days in a row, it flags a disk as bad. We have a bug open to change this behavior in a later version of the product but for now, it does not immediately flag the drive when these events show up.

Please run chkdsk /f /r on the drive C:\fs\U. If, after that, you still cannot access the files, remove the drive from the storage pool so that the secondary shadows can be promoted. Theo has the best way to determine which HDD is which here.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Thanks Lara. I'll follow those directions just as soon as I'm done copying the files I _can_ access onto a separate machine -- just in case!

Will probably write back tomorrow after I've run the chkdsk and/or removed the problematic HDD.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:22 PM