none
OEM Installation after Trial

Question

• After running WHS Trial for a month, I'm satisfied with it, and today I attempted to activate using the OEM key, but it says that the key is incorrect.

Is it because it isn't possible to activate an OEM key using the trial cd? Is there any other way that I can activate without having to move the data back and forth and reinstall WHS? Current setup is 2x500GB discs.
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No, you cannot use the OEM key on the trial software, as it is 'hardwired' to expire.

You need to use your OEM DVD to do a server re-installation. This means, boot from the DVD and select the Re-Install option, NOT the Installation option. This will format the C partition and re-install WHS. This means that all your backups, shared folder data etc is preserved 'as is'. The only things to note: you will need to re-add your Clients, any Add_ins that you may be using and any other customisations, but again, all your data will remain there. While the re-installation is progressing, it will have to re-build all the pointers (tombstones) to your data, so it's possible that your installation may appear to be stalled - it isn't - it just can take some time, dependant on the amount of data you have.

Colin

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No, you cannot use the OEM key on the trial software, as it is 'hardwired' to expire.

You need to use your OEM DVD to do a server re-installation. This means, boot from the DVD and select the Re-Install option, NOT the Installation option. This will format the C partition and re-install WHS. This means that all your backups, shared folder data etc is preserved 'as is'. The only things to note: you will need to re-add your Clients, any Add_ins that you may be using and any other customisations, but again, all your data will remain there. While the re-installation is progressing, it will have to re-build all the pointers (tombstones) to your data, so it's possible that your installation may appear to be stalled - it isn't - it just can take some time, dependant on the amount of data you have.

Colin

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Unfortunately, I am not presented with an option to reinstall. After listing the hard drives, the only option is "New Installation" followed by a warning that it will delete all data on all drives.
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Hmm... After rebooting, I am now locked out. Is there any way I can extend the evaluation long enough to copy out the data and format and reinstall? I only got 30 days trial, but the download said 120 days - if that has anything to say.
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

Not good!

The trial version is for 120 days from date of installation. Sometimes though, if there have been any changes, it can terminate itself prematurely. However, it sounds like you have more problems than that, because even when it's timed out, it just means the server reboots itself every two hours which would give someone time to copy data off.

Now, if you cannot get into the server at all, it sounds as though you are left with two options.

One, is to remove all the drives from the server and attach them to another computer that recognises standard NTFS drives. If you do this, you can copy off any data you want to save from the folders on the disk. Note that you will have to enable 'View Hidden Files' in Explorer to see them.

Two, is to detach the data drives from the server, then do a new Installation with just one drive. After it's up and running, you can attach one of the data drives to the Server, but do NOT add it to the server storage. At this point, you can again copy any data to the Shared Folders on your 'new' server. Once that is done, you can then add that drive to the storage pool and repeat the operation with your other drive.

One caveat with the second option is that one of your data drives will already have a System partition which might just confuse the server when starting. If that happens, you could do a delete of that disks' system partition to remove the confusion.

Sorry for your troubles!

Colin

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Thanks for your answer. I can't login locally, and I can't use remote desktop either. I get a "you need to activate to continue" error. I can however access the data via the SMB shares, but it'd be much faster to be able to copy it to a USB drive.

I've tried removing the drives and accessing them from my desktop running Vista, but I don't seem to have the proper permissions (even as administrator) to access the files on the drives, even though I can see them in explorer.

If all else fails, I'll just start downloading over the network.
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

You DID activate your installation of the Trial software online, or by telephone?

Even though it's a trial, you still need to activate it the same as any other software, after it's been installed.

The activation is personal to that version of software and is a relation between it's serial number and the hardware it's on. You cannot use an OEM serial number to activate any other software.

Colin

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:30 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Hi,

You DID activate your installation of the Trial software online, or by telephone?

Even though it's a trial, you still need to activate it the same as any other software, after it's been installed.

No, I was never able to activate it. I'll just start the transfer now. I just got off the phone with the activation support, and they had no clue other than I'd have to reinstall.
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:34 PM