none
Windows Home Server 2011 - Motherboard, Using SATA 3, and RAID

Question

• All, I am readying for a solid build of a Windows Home Server 2011 system. I've done a lot of research this weekend on hardware and am still weary about Asus, Intel, Gigabyte, AsRock, etc. motherboards supporting the underlying Windows Server 2008 R2 OS of WHS2011. I'm especially nervouse about the use of any hardware SATA 3 port RAID capabilities provided by these boards. When I pre-check Intel, Asus, or Gigabyte websites for available drivers and such, they don't list Windows Server 2008 R2. The boards I've been considering are Intel based H61 or H67 chipset boards (these boards/chipsets have the foundational components of a board with a few SATA 3 ports available, along with RAID support). If moving forward with thise type of board, I'd probably choose an Intel Core i3-2130 processor - the price point on this processor is pretty good so might as well use it.

Anyway, can anyone out there recommend a feasible motherboard that'll support 64 bit WHS2011, using SATA 3 ports/drives in a hardware based RAID configuration? Preferrably micro-atx or mini-itx.

Thanks!

Eric

Monday, December 12, 2011 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hello Eric,

I've built a WHS2011 server using an Intel DH67CF mini-ITX board and an Intel i3-2100T CPU. Works like a charm! The board has 4 SATA ports: 2x SATA3 and 2x SATA2. My main storage is connected tot the SATA3 ports, my backup hard disk to one of the SATA2 ports. I don't use RAID however.

As for the drivers: you won't find any Server 2008 drivers but the Windows 7 (64-bit) drivers from Intel install without a problem.

Cheers,

Luc.

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:47 AM
  • First, check out this link

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google+guide&l=1

If that doesn't help you get started, then this is one of my favorites at the moment

http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/P8BM/#overview

Take a look at these.  Hint:  Once you reach the page, select "Advanced" from the "Narrow Search" tab on the left to make you choices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007629%20600138084&IsNodeId=1&ShowDeactivatedMark=False

Also, if you don't want to spring for the extra $$$ for a server motherboard, then you will find that in most cases, the Windows 7 64 bit drivers will work fine in WHS 2011.  WHS 2011 will find most of the drivers through Windows/Microsoft Update.  Graphics drivers and sound drivers are sometimes problematic, but you don't need them for WHS 2011.  If you must get to the desktop, use a remote desktop connection.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

All, I am readying for a solid build of a Windows Home Server 2011 system. I've done a lot of research this weekend on hardware and am still weary about Asus, Intel, Gigabyte, AsRock, etc. motherboards supporting the underlying Windows Server 2008 R2 OS of WHS2011. I'm especially nervouse about the use of any hardware SATA 3 port RAID capabilities provided by these boards. When I pre-check Intel, Asus, or Gigabyte websites for available drivers and such, they don't list Windows Server 2008 R2. The boards I've been considering are Intel based H61 or H67 chipset boards (these boards/chipsets have the foundational components of a board with a few SATA 3 ports available, along with RAID support). If moving forward with thise type of board, I'd probably choose an Intel Core i3-2130 processor - the price point on this processor is pretty good so might as well use it.

Anyway, can anyone out there recommend a feasible motherboard that'll support 64 bit WHS2011, using SATA 3 ports/drives in a hardware based RAID configuration? Preferrably micro-atx or mini-itx.

Thanks!

Eric

BullDawg
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Asus P8P67-M Pro works fine for me, although I am not using RAID.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:04 PM