none
CRM 3.0 -> 2011 import notes

Question

• hello forum

i have a old CRM 3.0 and want to migrate contacts and accounts, incl. notes to CRM 2011. Any hints? Because regarding is missing during notes export.

thanks a lot!

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 3:37 PM

All replies

• Possibly the easiest thing to do would be to actually upgrade in-place to CRM 4.0 and then upgrade in-place again to CRM 2011.  All of your old custom code will be invalid, but the fields and relationships will be preserved.

If that's not viable, you likely will want to use something like Scribe or SSIS to create a data mapping between the two systems that will preserve the relationships.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:52 PM
  • thanks, but the new CRM 2011 environment is already in place - dedicated!
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:04 PM
  • That may not matter. You can still do an in-place upgrade of an old copy of the CRM 3.0 system into a different CRM server all the way up to CRM 2011 and then migrate the upgraded database to your production system.  Also, if you do that upgrade and still can't just move the database en masse, you can at least have a simpler mapping table for migrating data, and you know all the field names will now be identical, as will the relationships.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Thanks Wayne, that's true about the upgrade, but I'd like to start from scratch in a new environment, so I have to migrate... So there is no easy out of the box way to do this? I think the problem is the regarding which I cannot handle directly. If I have this, then it should be easy to import.
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Hi,

Follow this to upgrade 4.0 DB to your CRM 2011 instance.

Ronald

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:05 PM
  • Thanks, but I don't want to upgrade, I want to migrate! :-)
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:06 PM
  • No, it's a data migration like from any other system, especially since you're going from two major versions ago, which has a different schema in a lot of ways.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Thanks, but I don't want to upgrade, I want to migrate! :-)

Hi,

If you literally mean data migration using 3rd party app (e.g. Scribe) to migrate data from 3.0/4.0 to 2011, please do not do that. You will be in a world of hurt. 

The best practice is in-place upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0, then either in-place upgrade from 4.0 to 2011, or as my link suggests (from MSFT), upgrade via DB backup and restore to your dedicated 2011 environment.

Ronald

• Edited by Ronald Liu Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Thanks, but I really want only to migrate the notes. The other things are ok. So, there must be another way to do this. As I mentioned I'd like to start from scratch.

Aren't there any best practices for migrating notes?

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

"Regarding" is a pointer to the parent record. It is missing from your export because the referenced record is not available at target location. You will have to export those referenced data as well. 

Ronald

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Ok, thanks and how to export those reference data. For example accounts and notes, but the I have to go with the GUID, right?
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Right. There is no easy way around data migration. You can write your own or invest in 3rd party apps (if there is such a thing for 3.0 to 2011 migration).

Ronald

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 9:15 PM
  • You will need to get your accounts into 2011 first and then your notes. Do you have a unique identifier field for your accounts (not the GUID)? If not, you could create a new field and try and populate it with a unique ID (ACCT-00001, etc...). You could do this through SQL although it would be unsupported. You then need to get your notes into the format of the 2011 import. If you can't export this new ID field when exporting your account notes do it through SQL, copy and past it into excel and manipulate it into the import template, setting the regarding field (I cannot remember the exact name) to the ID field you created. When you import the notes you can configure the fields it uses to join the Note to the Account, simple select the ID field on the account record and import.

Hope this helps

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 10:57 PM