Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:47 AM
I keep getting "OneCare couldn't start the Startup cleaner service." as an error message. When I click on the fix it option nothing changes. I went to the web looking for help and find nothing. I checked the Help feature for OneCare and it doesn't even find the term "Startup cleaner."
What do I do to eliminate this error message and get the icon back to green?
- Edited by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Friday, December 12, 2008 5:19 PM fixed subject
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:20 PMModerator
I can't say that I ever recall anyone else reporting this problem in the forum, DennisFoley. I recommend that you contact support for help with the problem. I'd be interested in reading the solution, though.
How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2
Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:24 PM
I have exactly the same problem and error message; and the icon turning yellow becuase of it. Very interested in what solution support will offer...
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 8:03 PM
Microsoft Support helped me out on this one and had a quick and effective way to fix it. Don't know if this will do the trick in your case, but give it a try.
1. Download the OneCare Update Fix tool via the link below:
2. Please save the Fix tool to the Desktop. Locate the Desktop, right click on the download package, click "Run as Administrator" and click the "Continue" button.
3. Accept the "License Agreement" and click the "Continue" button.
4. Press the "Start" button and wait for the tool to fix the update issue.
5. Once the tool has completed, click on the "Close" button.
6. Reboot the computer.
- Marked As Answer by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:44 AM
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:05 AMModerator
Thanks, Luc. It is worth a try. Apparently the problem is caused by an issue with setting internal to the OneCare database, if the reset tool resolves it.
Friday, February 27, 2009 11:03 PMThank you. It worked
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:12 AMdid not work for me. still doesnt work
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:03 PMModerator
did not work for me. still doesnt work
Contact support if the reset tool did not resolve it.
How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:38 AMCool Luc. Thanks soo much it worked. I had the same problem but when i tried the solution you suggested it work. God bles you!