Project Professional 2010 appears to cache resource's RBS data. Change to resource RBS data doesn't populate until cache is deleted
Monday, March 28, 2011 7:06 PM
Here is the scenario. A resource changes their position, and so the Project Server Administrator needs to change their RBS value. The RBS lookup table or field ARE NOT CHANGING.
The resource is selected and opened from the enterprise resource pool (selected in PWA and opened in Project Professional). The resource's RBS value is deleted (let's say) and saved and closed.
When you check in PWA, that resource's RBS value is blank, as it should be.
But when you go back into Project Professional, that resource still has the (now incorrect) data populated in the RBS field.
We try restarting project, but to no avail. Then we try deleting the cache completely (%appdata%, delete the 14 directory under MS Project) and when we restart project and re-open the resource, FINALLY the data is as it should be.
SO... please tell me there is a cumulative update for this. I don't think we should need to delete all the caches everytime there is a resource data change. Also notably the administrator making the change does NOT have local admin rights to their machine, as none of the users do either. Not sure if that's significant or not.
Let me know if there is some help here.
Mark Read Principal Sequence Advisors, Inc.
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:10 PMModerator
by coincidence, I found the same for an Enterprise Custom field for resources today. I entered values in Project client for Enterprise resources. After saving, data was correct in Resource Center. When I re-opened resource in Project client, resources "lost" their values. All data was correct when I re-opened them after cleaning cache.
Interesting ... No help from my side, sorry, but at least a confirmation.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:46 PM
Same issue over a year later, this forum is littered with people talking about this resource caching issue. MICROSOFT!!!! ASSEMBLE!!!! Users hould not be expected to clear their local cache in order to see updated resource information on the server.
This should be addressed in an update.
I have just posted a new thread regarding a similar issue with resource caching. Hopefully someone will post there: