Monday, January 03, 2011 7:34 PM
You will get the "Failed to Set Credential" error if you do the steps, which I was doing as the customer did not want to have me logging in as a domain user during their installation, I just had local admin, and only one person at the site had join to domain rights to join the head node to the domain.
1. Clean HPC 2008 R2 install from CD
2. Enable Remote Desktop, add "ladmin" local administrator which is not a domain account
3. Change name, I had the local person who had join to domain rights only join to domain, rebooted
4. Login as local admin ladmin, install HPC Server 2008 R2 Pack
5. Configured networks in step 1 of computer cluster pack.
7. Click "Set Installation Credentials" in step 2 of compute cluster pack. <=== ERROR Failed To Set Credential
The issue seems to be that you have to be logged in as a DOMAIN user who is a LOCAL ADMIN on the head node for step 2 of the HPC Cluster Pack R2 to work. Once you get past that, you can go back to local admin and do the rest if needed.
- Edited by chamdor09 Monday, January 03, 2011 8:39 PM items
Tuesday, January 04, 2011 6:14 AM
This is an already known issue. Currently as workaround, you can set the credential through powershell commandlet "Set-HPCClusterProperty -InstallCredential"
By the way, could you help us understand the scenario that you want to do these admin jobs with local admin account instead of a Domain user? What's the benefit you have? And please be noted that without running under domain account, some following action might not work including running cluster diagnostics, cluster admin jobs...
- Marked As Answer by Don PatteeModerator Friday, February 04, 2011 9:23 PM
Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:48 PMThanks for the quick reply, I didn't see it in the release Notes so I posted to help others who search For this error. My first try was to look for hpc cmdlets with credential In the noun to get more info which is why I missed set-hpcclusterproperty This use case was a site policy that doesn't allow For domain accounts for systems integrators. I had to do as much as possible as local admin, not a normal use Case for sure but if it could be documented or just Better error reporting would be great for next SP. Thanks!