none
Transferring files between two home servers

Question

• I have a friend who I am trying to transfer some video files between my server and his. If it was a small amount of files I would transfer them to my pc first but it is just under 1.5 Tb. Is there a way from my computer that I can drag and drop from my shared folders to his? I am running vista ultimate on my pc.

Thanks, 
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:11 PM

Answers

• shhwing said:

I have a friend who I am trying to transfer some video files between my server and his. If it was a small amount of files I would transfer them to my pc first but it is just under 1.5 Tb. Is there a way from my computer that I can drag and drop from my shared folders to his? I am running vista ultimate on my pc.

Thanks, 

Yes (as long as the servers have different names).  However, it involves logging in to the server desktop, which is unsupported.

Logon to the server desktop of your server.  Open the Videos share using the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop (do not open it using D:\shares).  Select whichever files you want to copy.  Then Open the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop again.  However, once it opens, change the address at the top from your server name to his server name.  You will most likely be prompted to input your user name and password to connect to his server so he will need to set up a user account for you on his server beforehand.  Once you have access to his shares, just browse to his Videos share and paste.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:26 AM