none
microsoft 6to4 adapter

Pregunta

• Microsoft 6to4 adapter under devide manager states ther is a devide error. Device cannot start (code10).

Ran "Check for Solutions". After checking for drivers online, it can back with " the correct driver or latest driver installed".

Can you explain the Code 10 and suggest a solution?

Thanks
    domingo, 20 de enero de 2008 6:25

Respuestas

• Code 31

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

jueves, 15 de julio de 2010 17:18
  • i uninstalled my 6to4 adapter and alls well ttfn
    domingo, 25 de octubre de 2009 6:49

Todas las respuestas

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

6to4 adapter is a component used for transmitting IPv6 packets trough IPv4 network correctly.

In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. A possible reason is, the network adapter doesn’t support this feature. You may update the driver for your network adapter or chipset, and then try to uninstall and reinstall the this component.

To uninstall the component, right-click the item in Device Manager and select Uninstall.

To reinstall the component, in Device Manager, Action – Add Legacy Hardware – Next – “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list” – Network adapters – Microsoft – Microsoft 6to4 Adapter – Next – Finish the wizard.

If the steps above doesn’t solve the problem, your network adapter is not a supportive one for this component. You can completely ignore this error, if there isn’t IPv6 network deployed in the environment. The error won’t affect your system.

To remove the error message, please right-click the Command Prompt and run as administrator, type the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

miércoles, 23 de enero de 2008 7:54
  • Since 3 days ago my laptop has failed to connect to the internet although wireless assistant on HP can detect a signal.

After checking the device manager I realised there is an exclamation mark next to the 6to4 adapter and in this case it was a code 31 saying that I have to download the latest driver version. I assumed this caused the failure.

I tried to download the latest driver but I did not find it. 

Downloaded the network adapter driver, but nothing seemed to have changed.

Unistalled the component (which I assume is the 6to4 adapter), which made it disappear from device manager.

Tried to install it following your instructions, but it did not reappear. 

In addition, the problem appeared on switching on my laptop after the latest Vista update installations.

My questions are: How can the 6to4 adapter be reinstalled? And is a faulty 6to4 adapter responsible for the failure to connect?

Thank you

• Propuesto como respuesta MOHD ALI SAJID viernes, 11 de marzo de 2011 10:24
    • Votado como útil MOHD ALI SAJID viernes, 11 de marzo de 2011 10:24
    sábado, 16 de febrero de 2008 16:13
  •  

The problem remains is not solved.

The described problem is a consequence of last updates Microsoft.

martes, 19 de febrero de 2008 9:50
  • I have the same problem too! Sad

I couldn't ignore it, because of my wireless connection.

After this error, my wireless adapter driver could not be used! So, I can´t connect my notebook unless i plug the ethernet cable!

Please solve this ASAP, I really need to connect with my notebook on a wireless network.

jueves, 06 de marzo de 2008 14:51
  • After latest Microsoft Vista updates (first week of March) my internet connection (LAN) stopped working. After checking Device Maganer I saw error at 6to4 adapter (code 31). Tried to solve the problem by steps above, downloaded latest drivers for my network card, reinstalled 6to4 adapter, nothing helps and my connection is still not working (says connected to local network only).  System restore does not help. So should I reinstall Vista or what? No solution?
    miércoles, 12 de marzo de 2008 7:55
  • I have the same problem my microsoft 6to4 adapter has a code 31 prob. I can detect internet connections through my wireless but am not able to connect up to the internet. Have tried to update but I am upto date (not sure how it checks as I cam not able to get on to the internet. Well that was what it tells me.

So I can't get on to the internet at all which is of course a bit of a problem.

I tried to back up and system restore but no luck.

Assistance please.

Thanks

miércoles, 12 de marzo de 2008 9:24
  • Same probs here!

Is a fix on the way - please tell us microsoft!

miércoles, 12 de marzo de 2008 17:11
  • Here's what Comcast finally was able to have me do that fixed it -- Temporarily!

You'll need to restore your system (this doesn't affect data) back to a date when your connection worked. I've had to do this twice in the last 2 weeks.

Go to Accessories, System Tools, Backup & restore, then click  on "Use system restore to fix problems and undo changes to windows." Restore to the most recent backup time before you had problems. I think this will uninstall any new hardware you've added or changes to the registry, like new programs. It's a last resort, but it was the only thing that worked for me. I was desperate. Good luck.

viernes, 14 de marzo de 2008 4:13
  • Hi,

Thanks for that - i tried that with a little sucess before posting.

The problem here seems to be that the error is caused by an update to Vista - so everytime I get an update (which is within a few hours of fixing the problem) - I'm back to square one. I cant risk leaving the system open to security threats by not instaling the updates so its catch 22.

****IT WOULD BE NICE THOUGH FOR MICROSOFT TO SAY THEY ARE LOOKING AT THE PROBLEM - EVEN IF THERE IS NO SOLUTION YET - NICE TO SEE SOME RESPONSE.****

viernes, 14 de marzo de 2008 11:56
  • Indeed - the problem is caused by latest Vista updates and I just wish Microsoft would do anything about it - issue a hotfix or whatever.
    I've managed to get my LAN connection working once by using system restore, installing latest network card drivers, disabling and enabling 6to4 network adapter, then suddenly connection appeared. However after restarting PC it was gone again, seems something is blocking it....
    viernes, 14 de marzo de 2008 12:13
  • Come on Microsoft,

I'm sitting here with exactly the same problem. I've had nothing but trouble with Windows Vista Ultimate (The most expensive operating system you've got for home pc's).

How about some support !!!

domingo, 16 de marzo de 2008 23:28
  • Apparently the icon on the mainpage next to the thread name (the green tick with the box) means this has been solved, or they think its been solved - I'm going to try start a new thread with a link to this one and see if that works! 

martes, 18 de marzo de 2008 1:25
  • Have any of you tried backing out your lastest updates on your computer for windows? I'm attempting that right now. I'm backing out the installs for the past week. I'll let you know if that works.

sábado, 22 de marzo de 2008 1:53
  • Actually, I've tried just about everything...

What fixed it in the end was re-installing Vista Ultimate 64.

I suspect strongly that this is the least supported and most expensive operating system ever and not worth a penny.

sábado, 22 de marzo de 2008 3:31
  • I am on a
    HP Compaq Presario V6000 CTO

recently my "HP wireless assistant" stopped working

at the same time I was having error 31 on the 6to4 adapter

when clicked on to update was told - "cannot download updated software"

attempted to uninstall and reinstall 6to4 adapter as this thread said - now the 6to4 does not exist anymore and I still have no access to the HP wireless assistant

any suggestions

fess
    jueves, 24 de abril de 2008 19:58
  • Hello,

Since 2 days ago my laptop has failed to connect to the internet although wireless assistant on HP can detect a signal.

This problem appeared on switching on my laptop after the latest Vista update (SP1) installations.

After checking the device manager I realised there is an exclamation mark next to the 6to4 adapter and in this case it was a code 31 saying that I have to download the latest driver version. I assumed this caused the failure.

I tried to download the latest driver but I did not find it. 

Downloaded the network adapter driver, but nothing seemed to have changed.

Unistalled the component (which I assume is the 6to4 adapter), which made it disappear from device manager.

I tried to install it following your instructions, but it did not reappear.The problem remains is not solved.

My questions are: How can the 6to4 adapter be reinstalled? And is a faulty 6to4 adapter responsible for the failure to connect?

After this error, my wireless adapter driver could not be used? So, I have to connect my notebook unless i plug the ethernet cable?

Please solve this ASAP, I really need to connect with my notebook on a wireless network.

domingo, 18 de mayo de 2008 17:02
  • Ok so i did all that stuff with the uninstalling and re-installing of the drivers, but i still get the same error and it doesn't solve my wireless problems. After searching around the net, I fould out that this problem mostly occurs to HP/compaq laptops running Microsoft Vista. I've actually been having this problem for over 2 months already and im sick of having my laptop wired all the time. Thats not the reason i bought the laptop in the first place. I want it to be portable and thats not really making it possible. Can't Microsoft undo the update with this specific driver? I mean from looking around the net it seems that the 6to4 driver is conflicting with the BIOS that is running with the Broadcom wireless cards, Which happens to be in almost every HP/Compaq notebook. I believe that this is a huge problem and it needs attention.
    jueves, 22 de mayo de 2008 13:16
  • There is a yellow mark in the device manager for the network adaptors 6to4.even i connected internet connection and updated the drivers eventhough it remains the same.please tell me the solution.

lunes, 09 de junio de 2008 3:41
  • I am getting a device fail to install, with this  6to4 device. I went to Device Manager and could not find MS 6to4 device. To either uninstall oe disable, or remove it.

So where do I find it to Install it ??

If we had no need for it for IPv6 then why was it put into the OS to begin with??

So what am I supposed to do with this brand new laptop ??

F'nor Dragonrider 

viernes, 27 de junio de 2008 4:08
  • A customer phoned this evening with the same kind of problems as indicated by others in this thread.

After some digging around I found the following steps worked.

1. Uninstalled the Microsoft 6to4 driver (crapware or wot!)

2. Went into the Wireless adaptor properties and unticked the IPv6 protocol.
        (Would have uninstalled it if it hadn't worked at that point)

3. Did the cmd prompt as administrator and issued the netsh in 6to4 set state disable

4. Rebooted computer.

Something is well broken with the IPv6 support either in the Microsoft 6to4 driver or the Broadcom drivers. Either or both vendors need to fix whatever is wrong!

Regards

John A Thomson

Roundtrip Solutions Limited

miércoles, 09 de julio de 2008 21:25
  • hello ,

I had the same problem and did as you said and it fixed the problem I guess .But it seems that this was listed under network adapters and now it is listed as a hidden device. Is this how it is suppose to be ?

jueves, 17 de julio de 2008 1:32
  • Don't have access to the customer system so don't know if his system now shows it as a hidden device! Wasn't that interested in digging any further once I had it working and device manager was showing a clean system in normal view.

The key is it now works so whatever works will do me!!! What about you?

jueves, 17 de julio de 2008 2:04
  • Lionel,

Thanks for your comments and the explanation - although I must admit that they are unsatisfactory - since the reason I went into Device Manager was that I began to have network and USB problems after an MS Update patch (can't remember which one now or I would uninstall it!) and this was the first time I saw a problem with the Microsoft 6to4 adapter...
    It looks like many others are still having problems and the only "coincidence" is the same error...!
    From my limited skills in searching the internet - it appears that the problem is somewhat widespread and that others are having similar problems at the same time...
    Could you perhaps look into this and find a fix for us by chance? We are desperate and you are our only hope!

thanks,
    -mrmsuser
    viernes, 01 de agosto de 2008 21:26
  • Did you get a resolution?

martes, 05 de agosto de 2008 17:12
  • No - still no resolution and no answer from Microsoft... :-(
    martes, 05 de agosto de 2008 20:56
  • In my case installing Vista SP1 helped to solve the problem, however my problem was that my LAN connection stopped working after certain Vista updates therefore I'm not sure that would solve problems for people with Wireless connections...

miércoles, 06 de agosto de 2008 12:34
  • To find MS 6to4 device first open up your device manager, in your tool bar click on "Action", point to "Add Legacy Hardware", click on that, it will open up your hardware wizard, click on the next button, select" Install the hardware that I manually select from a list" than click on next and scroll down to Network adaptors, click on that and than click on next,

wait for it to load , under manufactuers click on Microsoft, under network adaptors click on "Microsoft 6to4 Adaptor", cick next,

Then it will list under Device Manager, Network adaptors

domingo, 24 de agosto de 2008 20:25
  • simple solution for vista 32. i start my computer using boot disk then reinstall my modem and LAN driver. oopps... problem solve... easy as 1,2,3.........good luck. restart, in device manager delete 6TO4, remain your vintage driver...

viernes, 12 de septiembre de 2008 23:07
  • hi all,

Since there are so many of you suffering because of Microsoft, I too had once again to deal with one of their bugs.

For the 6to4 adpter issue, I finally decided to uncheck the ipv6 in my network connection, then uninstalled 6to4 adapter and restarted vista and bingo it worked my connection to the internet is finally come to live, YES ITS ALIVE. so, I hope this will also work for you.

What ever u do just never give up.

sábado, 13 de septiembre de 2008 21:12
  • here's what i did, i disabled the ipv6: got to control panel/system/device manager/ view hidden devices/ right click ipv6 and choose disable. i duno about the long term impact of this action but right now my wireless is working. good lck everyone
    domingo, 14 de septiembre de 2008 13:15
  • That did not work for me. Since that last micro$oft update, I have been using a mac to troubleshoot my vista pc laptop since the pc has been unable to connect to the internet. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling network drivers, disabling ipv6 on and off and still nothing. I have tried to connect both from wireless and a direct connection through a network cable and it still does not work.  I have disabled the 6to4 adapter and still nothing. I would restore my system if there was anything to restore but I am willing to bet that won't work either.

I never thought my next system would be a mac, I have had nothing but trouble since I purchased vista home premium and vista ultimate. I have never been so frustrated over an operating system with so many problems.
    sábado, 27 de septiembre de 2008 0:08
  • I have the exact same problem, and i'm getting ticked off that there is nothing MS is making us aware of, that they are doing to remedy the problem

martes, 21 de octubre de 2008 1:10
  • Thank you for this brief, and to-the-point post.  The situation I am dealing with in one system, is that it is not a Laptop/Wireless operative that has the problem.  It's the Vista desktop, with s-l-o-w...(if it's really pushed !) dial-up connection, to which sometimes just drops the ancient connectivity.  Unfortunate that it is presently the "what's available" for my friend.  After reading a few of these posts, I'm certainly glad I didn't rush into what I normally would have done to start a resolution of my friend's system--and it's because I wasn't at the location long enough to uninstall, let sys recognize, reinstall....etc.  Soooooooooooo, I started looking........

My question here is, does this same IPv6 protocol  'untic' relate to this described problem, since it is the same 6to4 adapter????

Appreciate the help and hints from all of the posters here.

martes, 04 de noviembre de 2008 19:22
  • Remove all of 4/16 updates or you most recents, I am sure there is only one you have to remove but thats what i did and i can now get on the internet with all the original default settings and the settings i recently changed. stupid updates!
    jueves, 07 de mayo de 2009 12:55
  • Hello Mr Lionel Chen:

We are still having a problem with a bang on the 6to4 adapter driver that you have been ignoring. Please revisit http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/3c7de6f8-afb7-4d90-8d1f-5e170520432e/. Do not adjust your television set. We control the horizontal. We control the vertical.

In our case it is a Lenovo x61 running vista pro.

Ward
    viernes, 29 de mayo de 2009 16:45
  • Hello, Thanks for your post! 6to4 adapter is a component used for transmitting IPv6 packets trough IPv4 network correctly. In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. A possible reason is, the network adapter doesn’t support this feature. You may update the driver for your network adapter or chipset, and then try to uninstall and reinstall the this component. To uninstall the component, right-click the item in Device Manager and select Uninstall. To reinstall the component, in Device Manager, Action – Add Legacy Hardware – Next – “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list” – Network adapters – Microsoft – Microsoft 6to4 Adapter – Next – Finish the wizard. If the steps above doesn’t solve the problem, your network adapter is not a supportive one for this component. You can completely ignore this error, if there isn’t IPv6 network deployed in the environment. The error won’t affect your system. To remove the error message, please right-click the Command Prompt and run as administrator, type the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Hope it helps! Regards, Lionel Chen Microsoft Online Community Support

Hello Lionel

Hope you can reply to this?

I've had the same problem with the 6to4 adapter with a pop-up download message on the desktop, that wouldn't work, for hardware I hadn't installed, that appeared every time I switched the p.c on.  I followed the instructions you provided above (dated 23 Jan, 7:54am), which seems to have cleared the problem.  However, I now find that when I switch the p.c on a different message has appeared on the desktop, stating: 'The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter.  Update your ATI Graphics Driver, or enable your ATI Adapter using the Display Manager.' 

Everything seems to be working o.k., but I still need to cure it.
    I have tried to carry-out the instructions (as above) but I cannot find a way of doing it - I don't know enough about the system.

Would you please give me instructions on how to remove/rectify this 'new' problem.

My system: Dell Inspiron 530S, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E8400 @ 3.00GHz; Memory 3.00GB, 32-bit OS.

I hope to hear from at your earliest convenience.
    • Editado slipper20 viernes, 26 de junio de 2009 15:30
    viernes, 26 de junio de 2009 15:24
  • Seems I also have the same problem, and yes my device is the latest also...hmm      Problems started  after   having to reorder a new 2wire

gateway box   .and the windows vista update...........  maybe I should have kept my old standby XP.. never had this many problems with that
    one  

good luck to us all.....................geez

jueves, 16 de julio de 2009 3:25
  • just wondering if we rollllllllled back our comp to a date prior to this  would it fix this problem???  any help out there at all?????

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  ???????????  is anyone there ???
    jueves, 16 de julio de 2009 3:29
  • disabling IPV6 is definately the way to go. I was having issues with a Sony Vaio VGN-FW490J running windows Vista and kept getting the blue screen of death as well as a slow/intermittent connection. This seemed to fix both problems.
    viernes, 28 de agosto de 2009 14:57
  • Microsoft 6to4 adapter under devide manager states ther is a devide error. Device cannot start (code10).

Ran "Check for Solutions". After checking for drivers online, it can back with " the correct driver or latest driver installed".

Can you explain the Code 10 and suggest a solution?

Thanks
    i am having the same problem,so if i uninstal ipv6 does this affect the connection between my xbox and pc
    lunes, 07 de septiembre de 2009 10:20
  • I also have the same problem for ever now without any solution but, to ignore it.
    Everyone needs to send feedback to Microsoft on how much windows Vista sucks.
    I will buy windows Pro, soon & all this will be only a BAD MEMORY!!!

(((((TRULY SICK TO DEATH WITH WINDOWS VISTA)))))
    sábado, 19 de septiembre de 2009 15:48
  • I've had this problem on my HP6375us Pavillion Notebook off and on for sometime. For some reason, the system and Vista add multiple copies of the Lan, Wireless, 6to4 and isatap adapters. To see this, open device manager, open the view menu, click Show Hidden Devices, expand the Network Adapters Folder. There should only be one copy of these adapters, uninstall all the rest. This has solved my problem but it does come back. I saw this solution on Technet forums a few years ago but I can't find the thread now.
    viernes, 16 de octubre de 2009 14:55
  • i uninstalled my 6to4 adapter and alls well ttfn
    domingo, 25 de octubre de 2009 6:49
  • hey, guys --

Just like you, I have  Microsoft 6to4 adapter problem, and nothing you've suggested so far has worked to reconnect my laptop to the internet.  Yes, nearly two years later, this damned adapter is still a problem.

I have a Dell XPS 1530 laptop with Vista home premium that worked fine for 14 months.  Now I can't connect to the internet either wired or via wireless, and the device manager says the 6to4 adapter won't start.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling it -- nothing.  Tried unchecking the IPv6, then uninstalling the 6to4 adapter and rebooting -- still nothing.  Tried loading updated drivers for the Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E fast Ethernet controller and the Dell wireless 1505 draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card, then rebooting -- again, nothing.  The very first time I pulled up the device manager, it told me the 6to4 adapter wouldn't start (little yellow triangle with the exclamation point was the giveaway).  The device manager insists that all the other network drivers are working just fine, yet I still have no internet connection, not even when I plug in the cable directly.  And of course, this all happened after the last Windows update!

I'd blame the Windows update, except that my update history says the last five or six updates have all been for Windows Defender.  Is it possible that something icrosoft did with Windows Defender screwed up the 6to4 adapter???  And what do I do now?  Help!

swingdiva in Chicago
    martes, 29 de diciembre de 2009 22:24
  • just to let you know:  after two hours of wrangling with a Microsoft tech support chat that resulted in absolutely no improvement, I did a system restore back to the day before the last windows update, and sure enough, I have internet connectivity again. which leads me to conclude that the windows update for windows defender is to blame!!!  Now that I've undone that, I'll be leery of loading the next update ... but I choose those manually anyway.  Sheesh, two days of trouble for this!  Those geeks need to clean up their updates before issuing them.  Man, how I hate vista ...

swingdiva in Chicago
    miércoles, 30 de diciembre de 2009 1:48
  • I did this and it did not work...It shows the network icon at the bottom and when you try to diagnose and repair the wireless connection it tells you that there are no problems found with the connection, shows to be exchanging packages both ways, but you cannot view and internet pages...ALSO, when I did this recommended fix to uninstall and reinstall, now it has NO network connection....NOW WHAT???
    lunes, 26 de abril de 2010 14:29
  • to answer this...YES rolling back to a restore point that is earlier than whatever this update is that is messing the 6to4 adapter up DOES work...that is IF you still have any restore points left...  We did this with success until my daughter forgot to make a restore point of her own when she corrected it...we are NOW OUT of restore points to take it back to the earlier version to fix the problem and have no solution as of yet to fix this problem..I too am WAITING for an answer to this....wondering if now I should look at another software/hardware choice...like uhhh MAC!
    lunes, 26 de abril de 2010 15:41
  • well i have just fixt it on my laptop sonds a bit hard to beleve i tell u well trip to tesco and a wifi dongull and ideletid the sed program and went on line with the dongull opend device maniger and did a fix in propates so it cud look on the intanet for the anser and it uplodid the fix :)

sory for the speling

viernes, 25 de junio de 2010 22:51
  • Code 31

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

jueves, 15 de julio de 2010 17:18
  • Since this problem started in Jan 2008,  it appears to me that there is no explanation for driver problem.  A year and a half later and I can tell you with out doing this, it too does not work.  This is what we call vista short lived.  In order to keep up with the Microsoft team we must purchase Windows 7.  Yes I noticed that when 7 came out, all of a sudden vista got some new gadgets and it appeared finally we would be running better than ever.  Just a taste of what 7 would be.  I respecfully thank you for your advice fmg map and also feel it would be what would have been the most logical answer to this problem.  I now know what I have to do.  I did not read the agreement I signed in order to post on this web-site,  so I may be in trouble for what I am going to say.

I listened to a show the other day.  The speaker said technology was way ahead of the human race. (  that would include me as illiterate on these componates )   The economy is bad and we try to abide by all laws but Microsoft has done an injustice to us.  Mine says all drivers are updated.  Mine says windows shows you have the latest updates.  Yet like everyone else there is that ( ouch it hurts ) error symbol telling me to update drivers.  It doesn't say YOU NEED A NEW VIDEO CARD.  It doesn't say,  IGNORE THE ERROR SIGN AND CODE,  NOTHING CAN BE DONE TO REMOVE IT FROM MICROSOFT.  What one has to figure out  on your own is it is time to update to windows 7.that means your camera ,your printer, more memory, ect...  All these commercials I see on TV in reference of people taking credit for Windows 7 being their idea,  makes me wonder who is going to take credit for vista in which has never run properly since I purchased this ( and I wasn't told ) refurbished computer.  Never mind that manufacturer. I'm done with them too.  Is it so hard  Microsoft to say that you failed and make it right for all the devoted purchasers of this product.  After all,  you wouldn't be able to give to all the charities as your write off,  if it weren't for those of us who wanted to move up in cyber world the way in which you taught us to do so.  I don't know how this reply got so out of hand but I feel I behaved appropriately.  I just figured the last posting was the place to perhaps talk about truths, since we can not get any answers.  Thank you for allowing me your space in which to reply in. May everyone have a wonderful day. Again thank you for any consideration toward my meltdown.

• Propuesto como respuesta tyd47rthz46 viernes, 13 de agosto de 2010 14:48
    viernes, 13 de agosto de 2010 14:05
  • For series of updates that we may want to have Microsoft apply, rolling back to previous System Backup is not a solution because it leaves computer vulnerability which Microsoft tried to fix. Of course unusable networking makes computer a piece of white elephant in the room. I propose that Microsoft do the right thing. Most users have very few peripherals that are actively connected to the comupter. I know that we all have iPad, iPods, iMac, Droid, Printers, (forgetting Zune) that are one or the other way networked and hence IPv6 is reasonable to use. But it does not take genius of Google to know that not all devices are connected at a time, and so the logical operation should be to check if a device (other than modem/router) is connected to the computer and is actively being used. Vista spends so many useless CPU cycles that it can spare one cycle to check for each peripheral devices.

I suggest Microsoft allow some user control on what devices being detected.

Coming back to the 6-to-4 issue: I tried to disable, uninstall, fuc* but could not remove it from registry as mentioned here and elsewhere on the Internet.

So until Microsoft learns the wrath of users, one prudent thing to do is to disable and uninstall IPv6, 6-to-4 Adapter, and all other WAN connections except WAN Miniport (IP) and if you have Network Controller (e.g. nVidia, 3Com, VIA, etc...) AS SOON AS YOU START and/or LOGON/SWITCH USER. This is working for me.

Here is how to do:

1) Right Click on "Computer" on the desktop

or RUN > type devmgmt.msc and hit enter

2) In Device Manager Toolbar, click on VIEW > Show Hidden Devices (click to enable)

3) SCROLL DOWN to NETWORK ADAPTERS and DISABLE ALL

4) THEN ENABLE ONLY "WAN miniport(IP)" and any other Network Controller

This should make only two Network Devices on the list to be active (rest others are disabled)

Now you should be able to connect to the Network/Router/modem. There may be some latency as the changes will take some time (2 minutes or so).

If you Logoff or Shutdown the computer, you will have to do these steps again.

If someone knows how to modify registry values of these step, kindly put them here for others to benefit.

viernes, 13 de agosto de 2010 15:12
  • Well I went through all of these and then simply went to Device Manger - found the two items under network adapters and simply deleted those.  BINGO, internet is working and stable and nothing else is causing a problem.    If not, you can always re-install anything later.  so there you go!@
    domingo, 29 de agosto de 2010 4:33
  • um what i found while trying to fix my computer of that same problem is that what you can do is actually ignore the exclamation mark. what i'm about to tell you, only works when you do a cable connect but anyways, what you can do is go into Network Connections and right click Local Area Connection. click on Properties. you'll be prompted for permission or a password. inside the Networking tab, click on Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPV6) and click Properties. Make sure both selections (IPv6 and DNS) are on obtain automatically. click OK. Then, right click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv6) and repeat the above. click close and whenever you plug in a cable, it should work. i don't really know about wireless though. i hope that this helps you in any whay
    martes, 26 de octubre de 2010 3:52
  • i think i got it.

open the device manager 

goto the "action" button on the to and click "add legacy hardware" then follow the directions

and choose the driver type (in this case network adapters) and look for the driver that you need 

also check the publisher (microsoft) and look for the driver

domingo, 01 de mayo de 2011 4:56
  •  

When I look at the properties for the 6TO4 device, it lists Microsoft as the driver provider. Why should I go to Hewlett Packard (manufacturer of my Compaq Presario) to get a driver that comes from Microsoft?

Editorial comment written in great frustration: This is exactly the kind of problem that makes me think Microsoft is very stupid.

Looking at driver details more closely, it says the driver file is C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\tunnel.sys version 6.0.6002.18209

miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2011 5:17
  • I had the same problem and thanks God I found this blog!!!Jhon's solution was a perfect fit!!! hopefully, there won't be further problems because of this OS...
    martes, 13 de septiembre de 2011 0:27
  • I have looked for Jhon's solution and I did not see it. Could someone please give me the date that he posted his solution?

martes, 13 de septiembre de 2011 1:10