Add a 512MB of Ram, computer now will restart over.....

Pregunta

• Emachine T5026

Installed=     A-0  256MB
                         A-1   -------   (empty)
                         A-0  256MB
                         A-1  512MB

I just bought a stick of 512MB of ram, I installed it and now my computer will start up then restart, at times it will do it over and over. Few times I can get into windows but a min later the computer will restart.

When I has the new 512 installed I can Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it said Hardware problem detected.

Not sure if I have the 512Mb in the wrong slot, bad memory or the motherboard. The pc can hold up to 4GB of Ram.

Any help would be great.
    • Cambiado Max Wang_Chinasoft jueves, 28 de abril de 2011 22:22 Forum consolidation (From:Hardware)
    martes, 17 de marzo de 2009 6:41

Todas las respuestas

• Are you trying to run in Dual Channel mode?  If so, you'll need to have a matching pair of DIMMs.  If not, what happens if you just put in the 512MB of RAM by itself in A-0?

miércoles, 18 de marzo de 2009 0:29
  • Dual channel, I dont know. Right now there is a 512MB stick, so if I put in the new 512 isnt that matching pair?  How should the memory be put in?
    miércoles, 18 de marzo de 2009 2:15
  • I pulled out all the memory and just installed the new 512. When I started up my pc I got this message, "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the comput checksum". What does that mean?

I used the tool at crucial.com to see my memory.

512MB DDR PC3200

256MB DDR PC3200

256MB DDR PC3200

EMPTY 

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

The memory I got is, Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz   -compatible- (400MHz PC3200)  (333MHz PC2700)   (266MHz PC2100)

• Maximum Memory Capacity:  4096MB
  • Currently Installed Memory:  1GB
  • Available Memory Slots:  1
  • Number of Banks:  4
  • Dual Channel Support:   Yes
  • CPU Manufacturer:  GenuineIntel
  • CPU Family:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
  • CPU Speed:  3066 MHz

miércoles, 18 de marzo de 2009 5:54
  • It may be possible that the module is bad.  Do you have another one that you can try?

Also, you can try having all of the memory installed and then run the Windows Repair capability from the DVD.
    jueves, 19 de marzo de 2009 0:42
  • There are memory modules which have error checking built in and then there are motherboards which require those kinds of RAM and then there are motherboards which will not work with those kinds of RAM and have their own error checking chip on-board.
    Then there are RAMs which are double sided (have chips on both sides) and then there are the kinds which are single sided , most mobos cannot take mixed RAM (modules).
    do they all have chips on one side or both sides?

As for the error, in Most cases, when you change the amount of memory in the system, you usually have to go to the BIOS (CMOS) settings, go to the first page (basic setup) save and exit.
    you dont have to change any thing there, it will change the amount of memory itself , just save and exit. reboot and should not get any checksum error.

If none of this helped then as others say the memory is bad.

miércoles, 13 de mayo de 2009 9:09
  • Check what frequency or RAM ur motherboard suports.
    For example:
    If ur motherboard has written it suports DDR400,it means u can put all DDR frequency smaller then 400MHz.
    I think ur new Ram is demaged or ur motherboard wants to tell you it is too old.
    Try to change the slots to find is the problem your new Ram,or the slot where you put the new Ram.
    viernes, 29 de mayo de 2009 20:57