Defragmentation partially completed

Pregunta

• I always get the same results when OneCare runs the defragmentation portion of its routine on drive C.  "Tune-up started to defragment your hard disk(s).... C:\Defragmentation partially completed.*  * Because of high levels of disk defragmentation, starred volumes could not be completed in this tune-up and are marked for defragmentation in later tune-ups."

What would a possible solution to resolve this issue.

domingo, 16 de noviembre de 2008 19:10

Respuestas

• The solution is to ignore the message. OneCare executes a Defrag in timed mode and pays no attention whatsoever as to the actual need for a Defrag. When the time is up, Defrag stops and you'll get that message in the Tune-up report.

There is no impact to your system's performance if it completes or not as disk fragmentation is rarely a reason for concern. The message, in my opinion, should be removed from the Tune-up report.

-steve

lunes, 17 de noviembre de 2008 17:14

Todas las respuestas

• The solution is to ignore the message. OneCare executes a Defrag in timed mode and pays no attention whatsoever as to the actual need for a Defrag. When the time is up, Defrag stops and you'll get that message in the Tune-up report.

There is no impact to your system's performance if it completes or not as disk fragmentation is rarely a reason for concern. The message, in my opinion, should be removed from the Tune-up report.

-steve

lunes, 17 de noviembre de 2008 17:14
  • Thanks for your answer but I don't think the message should be removed from the Tune-up report. If it were removed then users would not be aware that Defrag runs in a timed mode. I am glad that somebody asked this question because I was wondering the same thing. I am sure there are many people who would like to know why this happens and now we know. Maybe adding a link next to the message in OneCare that explains that Defrag runs in a timed mode would be helpful? I know that Windows Live OneCare will expire in 8 days but the same concept could be applied to Microsoft Security Essentials.
    domingo, 09 de mayo de 2010 4:30
  • Perhaps it would... if Microsoft Security Essentials included a defragmentation function, which it doesn't.
    Regards, Dave
    domingo, 09 de mayo de 2010 5:13
  • Perhaps it would... if Microsoft Security Essentials included a defragmentation function, which it doesn't.
    Regards, Dave

And I'll add that the reason MSE doesn't include this feature is that the newer operating systems, Windows Vista and 7, perform this operation automatically themselves using a Windows scheduled task.

This is also why this message and the OneCare feature itself is basically pointless and one of several reasons OneCare actually killed itself off, since it opposed rather than supported the very operating systems it was designed to support.

Rob

domingo, 09 de mayo de 2010 7:31
  • Does the Windows Defrag run in a timed mode like it does in OneCare?

domingo, 09 de mayo de 2010 7:38
  • Does the Windows Defrag run in a timed mode like it does in OneCare?

No, though defragmentation does run at a time your PC may not be on, so you may wish to adjust the schedule based on your usage and power management settings.

To avoid turning this thread into a complete tutorial, here's a link to a good one for Windows Vista/7 with lots of pictures and an easy to follow explanation.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/configure-disk-defragmenter-schedule-in-windows-vista/

Rob

domingo, 09 de mayo de 2010 11:46
  • Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it.
    lunes, 10 de mayo de 2010 2:58