miércoles, 23 de julio de 2008 6:16
Hello All - getting ready to apply PP1 and am looking for suggestions. I have been running the retail version of WHS for about a month now and have had several problems and am hoping PP1 will fix them all. Problems so far:
1. Server is not appearing under Network from my Vista Ultimate machine but when I open shared folders icon from desktop the server is there and I can copy and move files normally - Server does show under Network on my XP and Vista Home Premium machines???
2. Cannot remove drive with Remove Drive Wizard - I had 4 drives installed with a total of 1.27TB - I decided to add a new 500G drive and remove an old 270G drive that was in the pool - Adding the 500G drive went fine but when I tried to Remove Drive from the pool, I got "no data will be lost" then chose next, got a popup from the WHS Connector icon in the system tray that "the backup service is not running" and after 10 seconds received "The wizard did not finish moving the files to other server storage" message and Retry does not work - now it seems I can remove no drives at all - not even the new 500G drive I added - all drives show Healthy - deleted all backups from server - disabled folder duplication - problem remains???
3. Several strange occurences with folders and files on WHS server - when adding DVD movie name folders under Videos folder on WHS at one point I could no longer browse the folder structure under the Videos folder to create more movie folders - it just kept opening the browse dialog to the Meet the Parents folder and would not let me browse the folder hierarchy or create new folders - once I deleted the Meet the Parents folder everything returned to normal - decided not to put Meet the Parents on the server???
4. My Videos folder structure is Videos>DVD>Movienames, where Movienames are many folders with the name of the movie it contains - I started moving the movies to the client PC's to prepare for WHS reinstallation. After moving several movie folders to 1 of the PC's, I noticed a jump in the alphabetized folder names like from the letter F to the letter J like I was missing 10 to 15 folders - upon opening the last "F" folder, I found the missing folders like the folders had been moved under this folder - know what your'e thinking but I absolutely did NOT do this myself???
I love the idea, cost, and functionality of WHS - as long as it works correctly! My plan is to move all data off the server to the other PC's wipe all drives and start over. Would like thoughts on the following:
1. Are issues 3 and 4 the "data corruption" bug I've been hearing about?
2. Will PP1 eliminate the problems I've described?
3. Is my wipe and reinstall idea overkill or should I just apply PP1 and move all data back onto server?
4. If I do wipe and reinstall - will I be able to reactivate using the same keys I used the 1st time?
5. I have heard of all these issues in other 1 forum or another - does anybody know how to fix any of these issues besides applying PP1?
6. I understand Microsoft offers or will offer the ability to setup my own WHS domain of some type - is this currently being offered and, if so, where and how do I accomplish this?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this as I know it is lengthy - please share your thoughts and/or suggestions and I will be forever greatful as I only want to do this 1 more time!
Todas las respuestas
miércoles, 23 de julio de 2008 11:48ModeradorYour issue 1 is because, by default, your server uses a different workgroup than your other computers. The network map in Vista only shows computers and equipment that are in the same workgroup. You can change the workgroup your server belongs to; it's not required for Windows Home Server to function, however.
For issue 2, you can force the issue. If you have all folders duplicated, you can simply shut down your server, disconnect the drive, and restart it. Then you should be able to remove the "missing" drive using the console. You can do this even if all folders aren't duplicated, but then you will probably have to recover files off of the drive (easy enough; they're just files on the drive). Forcing the issue like this could cost you your backup database.
I've never seen behavior like you describe for issue 3, but I can't see how it could be related to WHS. However, no matter how sure you are that you didn't move/copy folders into that last "F" folder, you did.
To answer your questions (1 through 6):
- Power Pack 1 may help with your issue 2. Probably not the others.
- You should apply Power Pack 1, and not bother with paving over your server first.
- You will probably have to call Microsoft to re-activate.
- You can correct issue 1 by changing the workgroup of your server; you can force the drive out of the pool, and issues 3 and 4 are probably completely unrelated to Windows Home Server.
- This capability has been available since Windows Home Server was released. Please consult the Remote Access technical brief.
jueves, 24 de julio de 2008 5:31
Ken, 1st let me say thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I should have included that my server name is SERVER and that ALL machines on the network, including the server, are in the WORKGROUP workgroup. The SERVER did appear as it should in the workgroup for about a week and then disappeared and can only see it if I open the "Shared Folders" icon on the desktop - everything works, and appears, perfectly when opened from there.
I will say that the strange browse issues - both, Server not appearing when browsing the network and the strange folder behavior when browsing, do occur on my Vista Ultimate machine only. However I can see my other 2 machines, HTPC01 (Vista Home Premium) and Kids-PC (Windows XP) from the Ultimate machine in the Workgroup just fine - very strange.
Additionally, and I forgot to mention this, I have my taskbar set to Auto-hide, I have noticed since installing Connector on my Ultimate machine, there is a very quick flicker of the Taskbar periodically, almost like it's trying to popup on its own - timed it tonite and it is every 26 seconds - like clockwork. Once I turn off Auto-hide and lock the taskbar, the problem goes away. Turn Auto-hide back on and the flicker returns. I have seen someone complain about the same issue in another forum, can't remember which.
I have just finished removing all data from the server and am going to apply PP1 tonite or tomorrow and will do quite a bit of testing before moving all my movies, music, and photos back to the server and will post my results in a day or so. I'm also considering documenting with a video camera, any of these strange issues that reoccur. Taskbar just flickered again! and again! and again!
Ken, thanks again for taking the time to consider my issues and reply.
jueves, 24 de julio de 2008 8:56
The task bar 'flicker' is a known issue which has been fixed in the Power Pack.
Prior to moving your data back, (not sure why you want it off to do the update, as it isn't necessary), do the complete setup and get things like your homeserver.com name completed and check that there aren't any problems with your installation.