none
Microsoft Money Password Quicken

Question

• I see all kinds of posts out here regarding this password challenge .. My situation is a little odd .. I have been using an older copy of Microsoft Money and then downloaded Sunset - I am assuming it is Sunset but all I see is Microsoft Money Deluxe Ver 17 .. When I start the program I put in my Windows Live user name and password, it allows me to get into Money and I can utilize the program.  Now I want to import all that into my Quicken but the password box keeps coming up and it is telling me that I am using the wrong password even though that is the same password I used to get into MONEY ..  This is so crazy .. I have uninstalled so many times .. I have changed the dates .. I have tried the backups and repairs - I keep getting that same error message when trying to import it ..  Why in the world will Microsoft Money Deluxe (Sunset?) allow me to add things but not be able to allow me to import it?  I have gone into the Password Manager and that doesn't work for me .. Is it possible that this "SUNSET" isn't loading ?  When someone install SUNSET and looks at the version - what is it suppose to say?  I know I am throwing a lot out there but man, I am getting frustrated .. Just too much data to start over that is for sure .. Any assistance that can be thrown my way would be appreciated ..
    dimanche 26 août 2012 18:10

Toutes les réponses

• For Sunset, Help->About says "Microsoft Money Deluxe Ver 17.120.3817"

Have you tried disconnecting from the Internet before trying to remove your Live ID?

I suggest  making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2. That will also need your credentials; let's hope that works. Then open that repaired file, and try to remove your Live ID.

If this is not successful, I would do a QIF export, and then either import into a new Money file or directly into Quicken-- whichever works better for you. If you do the QIF export + import into Money, there are some techniques to make that go better.

dimanche 26 août 2012 18:28
  • Thank you for your assistance on Sunset - that makes me feel better that I now know that I have that installed ..

I have tried the Repair level 2 and that appears to be successful with the repair but then it comes right back and asks for that password. 

I have heard that going the QIF export route isn't the best way to go but I am more than willing to rebuild a file ..  If you have a quick link on those techniques to make the export + import go better, please do share ..

I guess it is possible that I am not using the correct password when logging into Windows Live ..  I have tried to login with the default user name that is coming up in Money but I get denied .. I have requested from Windows Live assistance on my password .. I am just confused that MONEY will let me in, add transactions, save it, etc .. But someone how this .mny file is being blocked because of that password when Quicken is importing it ..  Completely confused here ..

lundi 27 août 2012 07:35
  • It is going to be the same email address and  case-sensitive password that gets you into your file for adding transactions etc, and that you had to use to do the repair, that is needed to remove the Live ID from your file. So it should have worked... You just want to make sure you disconnect from the Internet and log in offline if you are having a problem with your credentials. I think you have tried that. I am presuming that you do enter your credentials each time you get into your Money file. So on to the QIF process:

If you want to do the QIF export/import into a new Money file, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178465
    except in the first step 4, I would suggest this: Name the files
    from the cash accounts associated with investment accounts
    alphabetically higher/later than the files from investment
    accounts.  Starting the name of the QIF file for the investment
    accounts with a zero (0) would be one way to accomplish this.
    Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

There are things that will not come across, but you will have a very clean file.

I don't know what would be required to go directly from the QIF files to a Quicken file, but you may be able to find how. http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/convert-data-from-non-intuit-financial-software-programs/GEN81988.html or QIF search or other info on that site may help. Otherwise, go into a new Money file, and then convert that.

Maybe with a clean file, you would find Money, together with PocketSense, to be useful to you to maybe run in parallel with Quicken during a trial period.

lundi 27 août 2012 12:39
  • Cal -

Thank you for not only assisting me but assisting so many other individuals in this forum .. Your time and dedication is APPRECIATED !!

I again tried to disconnect from the Internet, shut off all Anti-Virus programs and tried to get rid of that darn password .. It was not successful .. So I did create a new MONEY account and just exported each account .. This took several hours that is for sure ..  Once I had my new MONEY file created I compared that to the original - it didn't match completely but after all this aggravation this week on this project, I am fine with this and ready to move forward.  I imported that .mny file into Quicken and I am satisfied .. I have some clean up to do and some verifying but WOW - I have made it to the next step. 

I do have one final question that you may be able to assist me with .. During all this I tried to recover my Windows Live password.  Of course the email address it is using is from like 15 years ago so it presented me with a form to fill out to verify my identity.  This was a very suspicious form as it asked for passwords that I have used in the past.  Needless to say - the password question was a HUGE flag for me .. Are you familiar with this form and is it legit?  It had all the signs of someone trying to steal my identity.

I do appreciate your suggestion for me to continue to use the Microsoft Product and to team that up with PocketSense .. I have to say, with all this aggravation, I am ready to move forward with another team's product.  I have been faithful to MONEY for many years but it is time to move on.

Again - thank you for your assistance !!

lundi 27 août 2012 17:53
  • Cal -

Thank you for not only assisting me but assisting so many other individuals in this forum .. Your time and dedication is APPRECIATED !!

I again tried to disconnect from the Internet, shut off all Anti-Virus programs and tried to get rid of that darn password .. It was not successful .. So I did create a new MONEY account and just exported each account .. This took several hours that is for sure ..  Once I had my new MONEY file created I compared that to the original - it didn't match completely but after all this aggravation this week on this project, I am fine with this and ready to move forward.  I imported that .mny file into Quicken and I am satisfied .. I have some clean up to do and some verifying but WOW - I have made it to the next step. 

I do have one final question that you may be able to assist me with .. During all this I tried to recover my Windows Live password.  Of course the email address it is using is from like 15 years ago so it presented me with a form to fill out to verify my identity.  This was a very suspicious form as it asked for passwords that I have used in the past.  Needless to say - the password question was a HUGE flag for me .. Are you familiar with this form and is it legit?  It had all the signs of someone trying to steal my identity.

I don't know if that was legitimate or not. I know it would not do any good, even if it was not a spoof. You need the credentials in effect when you saved your file, and attempting to reset or change your credentials could only confuse things at best as far as Money is concerned. It does not matter if the email address part is still active.

I don't know why you would have to turn off your virus checker. Maybe you should do a quick scan with MRT (That is in C:\Windows\system32\mrt.exe in my 32-bit windows), and maybe do a full scan as you head off to bed.

I hope you imported all of the files at once with Ctrl+<click>. If you did not, it may be worthwhile to re-import and then re-convert. Processing mutiple QIF files at once is how Money recognizes transfers and the relationship in investment transactions with the associated cash account.

Among your chores putting back what does not come through QIF is to put symbols on your investments. You might post other things that came up with the new Money file and the conversion process

I am sure glad you got your QIF files exported, and were able to convert. With the QIF files, you had what you needed to move on. https://qlc.intuit.com/ is the Quicken support forum. That converter is nice.

lundi 27 août 2012 21:55