none
Computer Monitoring Error....after February, 2012 WHS2011 Rollup 2 Update

Question

• Almost immediately after the February, 2012 Rollup 2 update, I am getting constant Computer Monitoring Errors.  I've tried the Ignore function in the Alert Viewer but it keeps coming back.  My computer is a Windows 7, 64 bit computer.  I uninstalled the Connector software, rebooted, and reinstalled the Connector.  Same problem.  I ran a Chkdsk C: /f and then rebooted.  Same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is it pure coincidence or is it attributed to Rollup 2?  Anyone have any ideas how to solve this or is it a problem that needs a software update?

Chuck

Chuck

vendredi 17 février 2012 04:21

Réponses

Toutes les réponses

• I have exactly the same problem. However I'm not sure if this is relater to client workstation or rather to server itself... Alert message does not provide more information and Learn more about this alert option referes to issues with setup of mail alert. Mail alert worked fine previouslu and now properly sends test message. I disabled option this for test, but this dod not resolved monitoring issue, I'm still getting the same errors...
    vendredi 17 février 2012 10:31
  • Same issues here plus even after updating client computer connectors, I get an error that the connector is wrong or the the client can't connect to the server.  It is directly related to the Update Rollup 2 for Windows Home Server 2011 sent out with this weeks updates.  Its not your computers or set up for sure.  It is being seen around the world and a topic on many WHS  boards.

What I'm seeing are computer monitor errors (yellow), computer connector errors (Blue and Yellow) and the everything will go back green.

It appears that the only choice is rolling back the February updates on both the server and the connector updtae on the clients (and then set Win Update to ignore them) or live with it until enough people complain and they correct the bug.

Come on Microsoft, step up to the plate here and fix your code.

Paul

• Modifié PaulNJ vendredi 17 février 2012 11:57 enhance reply
    vendredi 17 février 2012 11:37
  • Similar problem here with one of my two servers!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

vendredi 17 février 2012 12:01
  • Microsoft has to know this is an issue and are either ignoring it becasue of the small user base or planning another Update push with a correction.  I guess there is a third possability there, they are just ignoring it :(

I would be intrested to know if it is happening on the SBS product too, since the products share the same core.

Paul

vendredi 17 février 2012 12:08
  • I'm having the same problem only mine is saying that both the computers and the server are having Computer Monitoring Errors. This is not happening only on WHS-2011 but also on my SBS-2011 Essentials that I provide support for.
    • Proposé comme réponse pillar27 samedi 18 février 2012 18:04
    • Non proposé comme réponse Ken WarrenModerator mercredi 29 février 2012 16:51
    samedi 18 février 2012 00:49
  • Bug Filed for this:

samedi 18 février 2012 15:59
  • Thanks - voted as repeatable.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

samedi 18 février 2012 16:33
  • Same here!

Paul

samedi 18 février 2012 22:13
  • I voted as repeatable as well!

Chuck

Chuck

samedi 18 février 2012 22:30
  • Bug Filed for this:
    The only problem, as has been pointed out elsewhere, is that this isn't a bug. A service or scheduled task is turned off, and there's an informational alert telling you (the server administrator) that this is the case.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

samedi 18 février 2012 23:27
    Modérateur
  • Ken, can you explain how the Computer Health notifications and then self corrections  and the Connector error messages (failure to connect and the version warnings) are not bugs but  the result if a service or scheduled task turned off?

This only started after the roll up realease, the updating of the server and the associated connector updtae pushed to all the client computers by the WHS. 

If there is something I missed in set up please enlighten me since these errors are annoying for sure.

Paul

samedi 18 février 2012 23:39
  • Ken, WOW!  Well, if you're right, wouldn't it be nice if someone would inform us, the server administrators, what service or scheduled task is turned off and a little explanation?  An explanation like why didn't this happen before the rollup?  What are the service(s) and/or task(s)?  Do we just turn them back on?  Why don't they come back on after a reboot?  Either something isn't right or we need to know what to do.

Chuck

Chuck

dimanche 19 février 2012 01:20
  • Paul, it's an informational alert letting you know that a piece of Windows Home Server functionality that Microsoft thinks is important has been turned off. That Microsoft turned this bit of funcitonality off in UR2 doesn't change the fact that Microsoft thinks its moderately important, and that it's turned off. Thus the alert.

If it annoys you, ignore it in the dashboard. It will still be there, but you won't be prompted about it.

dimanche 19 février 2012 22:25
    Modérateur
  • Ken, when you click on ignore this it keeps coming back.  You never get rid of it. 

Chuck

dimanche 19 février 2012 22:29
  • Chuck, nothing is wrong. Microsoft turned this scheduled task off, but they think it's moderately important for the average user of Windows Home Server. (This is something I happen to agree with; your average WHS user probably doesn't tag their media at all, and low-res album art is better than no album art. So what Windows Home Server was previously doing by default falls into the "better than nothing" category.)

As for "a little information" that is precisely what the alert gives you. And the task doesn't "come back on" because people who spend a lot of effort on maintaining their own tags and album art don't want the task to run at all, and so they disabled this task themselves long before UR2 was released.

dimanche 19 février 2012 22:30
    Modérateur
  • Ken, there are 15 posts before your last one.  No where does anyone, including yourself, mention that this is associated with album art.  Are you 100% sure this is what the Computer Monitoring Error is associated with?  If so, (I don't mean to be disrespectful), how do you know that?  What is the task that needs to be turned off?

Chuck

Chuck

dimanche 19 février 2012 22:38
  • Are we talking about two separate issues in this thread now?   There is the "informational" alert that refers to the metadata bits, which I understand and just ignore.   However, there is now also since the Rollup, a "Computor Monitoring Error" that is not "informational" but is considered an "alert".   I've tried ignoring it, but it seems to keep coming back...   I hope that one isn't considered a "feature"!

Does anyone yet know what might be causing the latter, and I think the issue referred to by the OP?

dimanche 19 février 2012 22:40
  • dvdluvver, I'm on the same page with you.

Chuck

Chuck

dimanche 19 février 2012 22:43
  • I too have this alert, not matter how many times I tell it to ignore the alert, it keeps coming back. Computer Monitoring Error. Definitely a bug. Ken is referring to the meta data informational warning. Must not have read the OP carefully.
    dimanche 19 février 2012 23:01
  • On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:25:58 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

Paul, it's an informational alert letting you know that a piece of Windows Home Server functionality that Microsoft thinks is important has been turned off. That Microsoft turned this bit of funcitonality off in UR2 doesn't change the fact that Microsoft thinks its moderately important, and that it's turned off. Thus the alert.

If it annoys you, ignore it in the dashboard. It will still be there, but you won't be prompted about it.

You're getting your threads confused here. As per the title of this thread,
    this is referring to an issue with computer monitoring yet you keep posting
    about updating album art from the Internet.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.

dimanche 19 février 2012 23:45
  • Yes I can see where this "functional" change and the computer health warning errors became confused.  Perhaps we can direct our attention to that thread with the same amout of zeal.

Paul

lundi 20 février 2012 00:18
  • I appear to have conflated Don's post here with another post of his. Accordingly, you can ignore everything I've said in this thread up to this point, as it's not applicable to the issue being discussed.

I will say this: not everyone is having this issue either (I'm not). I can't tell you what's different about my environment, but it's obviously environmental at least in part.

lundi 20 février 2012 14:31
    Modérateur
  • The computer monitoring error has now started showing up on my WHS 2011 server as well. I've voted up the bug, and registered with the "me too" count on Microsoft Connect.
    mardi 21 février 2012 10:47
  • I've been getting this as well, ever since installing Rollup 2.  The SharedServiceHost-AlertServiceConfig.2 log file shows:

NetworkHealthEngine: Exception happened in Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Engine.BinaryActionDefinition: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Servicing.Alerts.MacClientUpdateCondition.Run(IActionContext context)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Engine.BinaryActionProcessor.RunBinary[T](IActionDefinition definition, IActionContext context)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Engine.BinaryActionProcessor.RunBinary[T](IActionDefinition definition, IActionContext context)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Engine.ActionProcessingUnit.DoRun[T](IActionDefinition definition, IActionContext context)

which occurs every our or so.  The alert clears in about a half hour, and then is raised again.  Ignoring the alert does nothing, since the alert clears, and is detected again later. 

Entries in this log file prior to RU2 did not show errors, nor was I getting Computer Monitoring errors.

Voted up the bug on connect as well.

Jeff.

mercredi 22 février 2012 01:41
  • Just an FYI, I uninstalled the Rollup Update from Server, rebooted and then selected that WHS to ignore the update in the future.  I then removed the WHS connector installed as part of the rollup from all the clients and went through the http://server/connect process to reload the old connector.

Everything has been working like it used to, no errors on monitoring every few hours.  Took a while to do this but that yellow trouble indicator was driving me crazy.

Paul

jeudi 23 février 2012 11:18
  • Paul, it looks to me like you proved it's a bug in the Rollup.

Microsoft, what is your official position?  When are you going to address this issue?

Chuck

Chuck

jeudi 23 février 2012 15:16
  • Microsoft's response on Connect is as follows:

Posted by Microsoft on 19/02/2012 at 18:54

Hi This alert is caused by an internal error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", we are investigating the root cause, a quick workaround is you could "Ignore" this alert, do not "Delete".

Best wishes, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team

jeudi 23 février 2012 16:08
  • Microsoft's response on Connect is as follows:

Posted by Microsoft on 19/02/2012 at 18:54

Hi This alert is caused by an internal error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", we are investigating the root cause, a quick workaround is you could "Ignore" this alert, do not "Delete".

Best wishes, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team

I'm afraid "Ignore" is not helpful as the alert reappears every 1/2 hour (:01 & :031 on my system) replacing the "Ignored" alert.
    vendredi 24 février 2012 17:10
  • Post that on the bug report page.

Maybe it will help :)

Paul

vendredi 24 février 2012 19:38
  • ==========Please read====================

Looking for log files for the Computer monitoring alert bug:

DevicesInfo.xml from %Programdata%\Microsoft\Windows  Server\Data

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\SharedServiceHost-AlertServiceConfig.log

Can you guys post up those two logs - zip them/stick then in sky drives/post them where they can be downloaded from and email me at susan-at-msmvps.com with links to those to files?     

==========Please read====================
    mardi 28 février 2012 01:55
  • You cannot ignore it.  It returns every 30 minutes.  The root cause is a client health scan due to it wants to look for Macintosh clients to push out an update.  Great says you, I don't have Macs.  But the act of scanning the clients is also looking back into your devices and if you've got any sort of clients that are now removed, or other mismatch of data it throws off an every 1/2 hour on the hour alert.

mardi 28 février 2012 01:57
  • Hey all ... Maybe finally this problem will get some traction :-)

Although I understand that many people are just seeing this problem ... many others (like me) have seen this problem for a long time ... See ...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/54de4f77-f237-41c6-b3fb-8a1b6d85b4f8

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/3c193981-1f8d-4b0d-902b-f0a5f0a47636

The associated WHS 2011 error message is useless ... and we are getting no help ...

Let's hope with this new thread ... we get some action ...

Aussie

mardi 28 février 2012 15:37
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7852.computer-monitoring-error-on-dashboard-or-launchpad.aspx

First off I really don't like this wiki post answer.  I can't ignore the issue.

Do you guys have archived computer backups still in your console?  If
    so that is the trigger for the issue.  No that wiki is not the final
    resolution, there will still be a fix.

No you can't ignore it, it's an alert in your system tray every 1/2 hour.

Bottom line they know why it's doing this, it's a bug, hang loose.

In the meantime confirm if the reason you are seeing this is because
    you have some archived backups in the console that are from removed
    computers.

mercredi 29 février 2012 16:49
  • I can confirm that I have archived backups from a removed computer.

jeudi 1 mars 2012 02:02
  • Bingo.  That's the trigger.  And I'm sure you want to keep these.

Okay can you do be a big favor?  Can you go into http://connect.microsoft.com and open up a connect bug, zip up the following files:

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\ActiveAlerts.xml

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\SharedServiceHost-AlertServiceConfig.log

And

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\DevicesInfo.xml

Then email susan-at-msmvps.com with the url of the connect bug so that I can pass it along to the HSBS team so that they know you are one of the impacted people.

jeudi 1 mars 2012 02:11
  • No, afraid that's not it. I have a new WHS server, set up last week, backups from a single machine, which is still active, and it exhibits the monitoring failure on both the backed up machine and the server.

(Speaking as a user, not a Microsoft employee!)
    jeudi 1 mars 2012 04:46
  • Log files please then. 

You don't have the bpa installed do you?

Bottom line I need the logs folks.  With the logs I can tell what is going on and run it up the flag accordingly.  Without them we're guessing.  The evidence of what it doesn't like is in the logs.

jeudi 1 mars 2012 04:49
  • P.S. I've seen another set of logs that doesn't like a uPnP router. 

That log.  Scroll to the bottom, then scroll up.  Look to where it has breaks and indentations in the logging so that it's obvious there's something going on.

It will look something like this:

NetworkHealthEngine: Exception happened in Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Engine.BinaryActionDefinition: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Servicing.Alerts.MacClientUpdateCondition.Run(IActionContext context)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.Engine.ActionProcessingUnit.DoRun[T](IActionDefinition definition, IActionContext context)

What exactly does it say in those spots?

• Proposé comme réponse John Berneike samedi 10 mars 2012 17:09
    • Non proposé comme réponse John Berneike samedi 10 mars 2012 17:09
    jeudi 1 mars 2012 04:53
  • Just as a point to note, as I indicated above I removed the rollup update and downgraded all the clinet connector software to the original and everything has been great. 

I have a Warchguard Firebox as the router and uPnP is not even an option, so the idea that uPnp caused my problem has zero revelance in my situation. 

Since the monitoring error indicated a problem with the server itself, I'm wondering if "the problem" is in the connector code between the normal version of server OS and the WHS varriant.

Paul

samedi 10 mars 2012 21:44
  • I need the log file to be sure.  It's only with the log files can I tell you if the Ur2 bugs we already know about are identified.

Please email me at susan-at-msmvps.com and send me log files.

dimanche 11 mars 2012 03:52
  • @ Susan, I believe I emailed you the log files from my skydrive account.  But I'm not sure what I did was actually what I think I did.  If that makes sense.
    lundi 12 mars 2012 17:32
  • And it turns out my problem is with the software Lacie drops on their boxes. I'm working with them to get it fixed.
    lundi 12 mars 2012 19:17
  • I received an email on this, been �??Resolved as Fixed�?�. I haven�??t seen a post stating that they did something so I don�??t know what was fixed.

My system is still doing the same thing.

dimanche 18 mars 2012 16:15
  • Don,

It's "by design" therefore, not a bug, but a feature...designed to keep me on v1.  :p)

At least you got a response!  Let's move this to the cafe.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I received an email on this, been ???Resolved as Fixed???. I haven???t seen a post stating that they did something so I don???t know what was fixed.

My system is still doing the same thing.

BullDawg
    dimanche 18 mars 2012 16:32
  • Susan worked with me and reviewed my logs to determine the cause.  It's fixed for me now (archived back ups was the key).

Paul

dimanche 18 mars 2012 16:37
  • It just means they understand the bug.  What they should say is that it will be fixed in a later update/next ur.
    dimanche 18 mars 2012 16:54
  • Well I started this mess and I should have posted this earlier because it solved my problem.  Susan Bradley in one of her reply's posted:  "Do you guys have archived computer backups still in your console?  If so that is the trigger for the issue.  No that wiki is not the final resolution, there will still be a fix."  I went to the Dashboard, clicked on Computers and Backup and down towards the bottom where there is a horizontal green line/bar with...... in it, I deleted the archives from a computer backup that wasn't a part of the WHS 2011 environment anymore.  After deleted irrelevant information below that bar and rebooting the server, I've never had the Computer monitoring errors anymore which has been over three weeks ago.  It was Susan's response that solved the issue for me.  (Honestly, I'm a little fuzzy on the information that was displayed below the green bar but take a look at yours and if the information isn't relevant anymore, get rid of it.)

Chuck

dimanche 18 mars 2012 17:39
  • Ultimately the issue with archived backups will be fixed as well.  If you want to get rid of it now, that's the way to do it.
    dimanche 18 mars 2012 17:43
  • Susan...just wanted to say thanks for your work with the group in general, and mysef in particular, to pinpoint causal issues and suggest great work arounds.  A lot of time we forget to say thanks, I did not wat that to happen in this caes.

Paul

dimanche 18 mars 2012 19:02
  • And I agree.  As I said, it was Susan's suggestion/clue that solved the issue for me.  She's my hero, (female version)!  Now I need to figure out why server backups take sooooooooo long.

Thanks again Susan.

Chuck

dimanche 18 mars 2012 19:06
  • I still have my �??archived�?� backups and will not delete them to get rid of this issue
    dimanche 18 mars 2012 19:35
  • I don't blame you, I'm not either. Hang loose as there will ultimately be a fix for this.

I'll keep you posted.

lundi 19 mars 2012 00:49
  • Posted by Microsoft on 3/18/2012 at 6:41 PM
    Hi,
    A hot fix is under developing.
    Note it will take some time from the bug get fixed to the package get released.
    We will notify the community once the hotfix is available for downloading.
    lundi 19 mars 2012 11:01
  • I have the same issue, but the error only applies to one workstation on my network out of the 6 attached.  Hope the patch is released soon.

I've read a bit about this error also showing up related to the use of BPA on SBS 2011.  The workstation that has the error is my sons and I think he may have used BPA from that system.

Oh well, I'm sure MS will get this fixed soon, after all, it's only a couple months old.  :)

Gary J

lundi 2 avril 2012 06:59
  • Gary?  For these two bugs there's two symptoms:  1. an alert on EVERY workstation in the network due to the BPA being installed on SBS 2011.

2.  An alert on just the server due to an archived backup from a removed computer.

If you are getting this alert only on ONE workstation, then we need to get you investigated.  The BPA cannot be installed on Home Server.

What server are you using?  Is this only on ONE workstation and can you email me at susan-at-msmvps.com so I can get log files from you?

lundi 2 avril 2012 07:28
  • Thanks for the reply Susan.  I'm running WHS 2011.  BPA is not installed AFAIK, I see no evidence of it.  My son may have installed BPA on other servers on the network and that may be causing the error on his computer that is showing up.  I will send you the logs from his system as soon as I can get access to it.

Gary J

lundi 2 avril 2012 07:57
  • Only the SBS BPA causes this issue and it cannot be installed on the Home Server.
    lundi 2 avril 2012 14:01
  • Thanks Susan,

I just emailed you the logs I could find on the workstation.  It is connected to WHS 2011, but it may have been used to run BPA on a different server running Server08 R2.

Gary J

lundi 2 avril 2012 18:29
  • Gary, it's not -any- bpa, it's a specific bpa that's installed on the server.  Let me look at it because a bpa run on server 2008 r2 will not trigger it.
    lundi 2 avril 2012 18:33
  • Well then ... I can definitely say that none of my other systems are reporting the monitoring error.  BPA is not installed on WHS 2011.

One PC reports the monitoing error.  My PC has no reported issues.

Correction, my son's netbook is now also showing the same "Computer Monitoring Error"

My Windows 8 PC has no problems, nor does my Family Room PC.

So 2 out of 6 connected PC's show the "Computer Monitoring Error."

I seldom fall into a convienienly predefined category.

So you are sure that running BPA from his workstation on a different server would in no way leave any information on his PC that may be being misread by WHS and generating the error?

Very puzzling.

Gary J

• Modifié Gary J51 lundi 2 avril 2012 18:58
    lundi 2 avril 2012 18:58
  • I am positive.  In the log file I just looked at, your security center is turned off and windows update also turned off.  This is why it's throwing off an alert.  Make sure you mean for those to be set up like that otherwise it could be malware.
    lundi 2 avril 2012 19:03
  • Hey all,

I noticed that I am not clear on which computer is throwing the “Computer Monitoring Error” WHS or the client. So I thought that I would
    add my 2 cents – that might clarify some details – or not.

Please be aware that client computers can indicate both local and server/network alerts. So when a client computer states in a popup that
    it has a “Computer Monitoring Error”, it is necessary to bring up the alert dialog to determine where the problem is. So all my clients (used to) flag “Computer Monitoring Error” … but it was the server that had the problem … none of my client computers has ever had a monitoring error.

I say “used to” because in the Launchpad options you can select whether your client computer displays “local” or “network” (I think – I am not at my computer) errors. So I have turned off "network" warnings for all “family” computers and I only monitor server/network alerts on my computer. Hence I do not see any “Computer Monitoring Errors” on my “family” client computers. On the one client computer (my computer) that I do see the monitoring error, I am purposely monitoring network errors, and the computer monitoring error is on the WHS 2011 computer.

The upshot from me is that seeing a computer monitoring error on a client machine does not necessarily mean the client has a computer monitoring error.

I hope this helps someone.

Aussie

lundi 2 avril 2012 20:25
  • The hotfix released fixed my computer monitoring error related to rollup-2.   My error was generated by having archived backups.
    mercredi 11 avril 2012 16:49
  • Anyone on this thread ... if you are STILL getting an alert after installing this hotfix holler.  This only fixes the "archived backup" issue.  if there are other alert bugs that we haven't yet fixed, I'd like to ge to the bottom of them.
    • Proposé comme réponse Jeff-C lundi 16 avril 2012 16:42
    jeudi 12 avril 2012 00:44
  • I am running this in a test environment at the moment. It has cleared the issue but want to see what over night backup will do.

Thanks for the information on this.
    jeudi 12 avril 2012 00:46
  • The hotfix cleared up the "archived backup" issue for me.  No longer being pestered every hour :)

Jeff.

lundi 16 avril 2012 16:42
  • Well I am finally back in town and I was able to install the Rollup 2 update with no problems. I have not installed the hotfix at this time.

My “computer monitoring errors” (for the time being) are gone! Although I didn’t think that the Rollup was intended to fix the problem?

My original problem was that my WHS 2011 Server was throwing “computer monitoring errors” every 30 minutes. Not the “Archive” problem. Not the “Client” problem.

Upshot is that I am happy for now … I’ll move on to other WHS 2011 problems.

Aussie

dimanche 22 avril 2012 14:20
  • Nah ... I was good while it lasted for 2-hours ... but then the computer monitoring error showed up again (for the WHS 2011 computer). Going for the hotfix! :-(

Aussie

dimanche 22 avril 2012 15:49
  • So I am a nogo ... I applied the hotfix and I just received a computer monitoring error ... I was hoping that this hotfix was going to correct my problem ... but I understand that the hotfix was not specifically targeted at my problem ... I guess I will have to wait a little longer.

Aussie

lundi 23 avril 2012 01:06
  • The hotfix didn't work for me.

Gary J

lundi 23 avril 2012 08:30
  • Me neither. Brand new install, no archived backups. Get it on both my two clients and the server.
    lundi 21 mai 2012 07:57
  • Hi Susan,

I am sttill getting the error msg after the hotfix. I have got screen shots of the issue.

Is there any chance I can send you the details for assistance ??

Kind Regards,

Bora

Kind Regards, Bora

jeudi 9 août 2012 01:52