KB 2492386 - "Hard block on Home and Small Business Server SKUs" ?

Question

• Reading the description of KB 2492386 released through Windows Update yesterday, I found this text:

Home and Small Business Server (HSBS) SKUs: Puts a hard block on HSBS SKUs in Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

I cannot say that I completely understand what this means, so if anyone could clarify beyond pure speculation then that would be great.

KB description is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2492386

mercredi 27 avril 2011 01:31

Toutes les réponses

• This is what it says above that:

"Hard block"

The update puts a hard block on the application. A hard block prevents an application that is
    incompatible with Windows 7 and with Windows Server 2008 R2 from running on the system.

--
    Don
    mercredi 27 avril 2011 01:52
  • Sure, I read the definition of "Hard block" too. The text is still ambiguous - what is blocked where?
    mercredi 27 avril 2011 01:58
  • I'm with you, I'm not sure what this does.
    mercredi 27 avril 2011 06:17
  • A "Hard Block" simply means that the API will not load or run an application, versus a "Soft Block" where the application will be allowed to load and run if user consent is given; an application might require "permission" to run if the OS determins that it may not operate "normally" within the environment, eg. 16-bit app running in 32-bit environment.

mercredi 27 avril 2011 16:23
  • "Home and Small Business Server (HSBS) SKUs:

Puts a hard block on HSBS SKUs in Windows 7 Service Pack 1."

But puts a what?  Home and Small Business Skus - Home Server, Windows Small Busines Server - both essentials and standard or just essentials?  Are all Win2k8 r2.  Why do they need a block for Win7 sp1?

Exactly what is this blocking?  Given that Home server and Essentials ship with sp1, mu/wu isn't brilliant enough to figure out that win2k8 r2 sp1 isn't needed?

What's it blocking?

mercredi 27 avril 2011 16:29
  • A "Hard Block" simply means that the API will not load or run an application, versus a "Soft Block" where the application will be allowed to load and run if user consent is given; an application might require "permission" to run if the OS determins that it may not operate "normally" within the environment, eg. 16-bit app running in 32-bit environment.

Yes, that is already documented in the link in my original post. The issue is what the wording refers to - what is blocked, on which platform? Looking for knowledge here, not guesses.
    mercredi 27 avril 2011 16:29
  • Parly knowledge, partly guessing. Only MS can explain the real implecations of this patch?

SKU = stock-keeping unit
    Server SKU's define the different Microsoft Server "versions" (in this case Home and Small Business Server 2008 as well as Windows 7 that are all based on the same code base)

"Puts a hard block on HSBS SKUs in Windows 7 Service Pack 1."
    I read this as that this patch prevents parts of code ment for Home and Small Business Server 2008 to be installed on a Windows 7 machine through SP1 for Windows 7. In other words I guess it fixes some isues with or after installing SP1 on Windows 7.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    jeudi 28 avril 2011 21:02
    Modérateur
  • Just install it. Everything is fine. You know we can all always trust Microsoft (all rights reserved) to do what is best for all of us. If you are a good God fearing Christian, and love Jesus, you will install this update. It is endorsed not only by Microsoft (all rights reserved), but by The United States Government (all rights reserved) and all of the lobbyists that work so hard on behalf of Microsoft (all rights reserved) up and down the halls of Congress. Just install this harmless little computer helper that Microsoft (all rights reserved) has given to you, free of charge. There is no danger at all.
    jeudi 26 mai 2011 01:40
  • This is tested during regular Windows Updates test pass, for all applied SBS and WHS products. Including SBS 2011 and WHS 2011. Thanks.
    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows HSBS Program Manager
    vendredi 27 mai 2011 06:14
    Propriétaire
  • This is tested during regular Windows Updates test pass, for all applied SBS and WHS products. Including SBS 2011 and WHS 2011. Thanks.
    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows HSBS Program Manager

"This"?

vendredi 27 mai 2011 09:39