mercredi 6 juin 2012 22:45
I have WHS 2011 installed on my server and Windows 7 Pro on my computer, both with all current updates.
Decided to test restoration of a backup before making a significant change on my computer. Good thing I did as the restore process fails with the following error message:
"The restore process did not succeed - This driver has been blocked from loading"
This is not the "altitude conflict issue" which is common if Rapport is installed on the system. I am not using Rapport and I have used fltmc to confirm that no process is using the same altitude as the backupreader process.
I can successfully run the restore process from another computer connected to the server. With the restore process on the other computer I can view the contents of the backup for the computer on which the restore process will not run. That excludes a problem with the server itself and any corruption of the backup.
So, what is the driver that isn't loading and is there a way to try to install it manually to see why it is not loading?
Thanks for any assistance.
Toutes les réponses
vendredi 8 juin 2012 06:39Modérateur
You mean you would like to do the restore on a WHS client right?
1. You need to make sure that the backup status displayed successful in the WHS 2011 Dashboard;
2. Please right click the Windows 7 client under the Computers and Backup Tab to view the computer properties and alerts;
Under the computer properties, you will view the details for the backup, please make sure that the location for the backup files are accessed and not corrupted.
As we know, we need to open the dashboard to do the restore process on the client PC. So I think you could look into the Event Viewer to verify whether you have received any errors or warnings included or not.
Based on the current situation, I think you could do the manual backup for this PC and store it to another driver to verify the issue still remained or not.
TechNet Community Support
vendredi 8 juin 2012 16:07
James, let me explain the problem again:
1. I have successfully performed a backup of my client on the server, i.e., when I launch the backup restore process for the client there are backups listed.
2. From the client computer, I launch the WHS dashboard.
3. In dashboard, from the computers and backup tab, I select the client computer and choose "restore files or folders for the computer."
4. I select on of the listed backups (all of which are marked "successful").
5. The restore process starts and shows a window that says "opening the volume."
6. The restore process aborts with the following error "The restore process did not succeed - This driver has been blocked from loading."
7. I have confirmed through fltmc that this is not the "altitude conflict" problem which was fixed in the latest WHS 2011 update.
8. The backups are not corrupted (running the restore process on this client's backups from another client successfully opens the volume).
9. There are no alerts from WHS for this client.
10. I've looked in event viewer and there are no errors or warnings related to this process.
So, again, any suggestions how I can determine what is blocking the restore driver from loading. In the alternative, I would need instructions on manually uninstalling the connector on this client (cannot use the usual uninstall method because the connector does not appear in the add/remove program list nor in the list of installed programs in Windows Installer Clean-up.
mercredi 13 juin 2012 06:20Modérateur
jeudi 14 juin 2012 12:09
Firewall interference was one of my first thoughts. Before making the original post, I tried to run the backup restoration with the firewall turned off and with both the firewall and antivirus turned off. On all attempts, the restoration process fails with the same error notification as indicated in my original post.
I will check the permissions on the backup files and report.
mercredi 26 septembre 2012 01:53
Just want to close out this thread in case anyone is experiencing a similar problem. It turned out that the WHS connector on my Windows7 client computer was corrupted. Could not uninstall, reinstall or repair the connector. The reinstall was caused by the "Windows Media Center" problem, which was preventing the installation of the connector from completing properly. I followed the instructions (a simple registry edit) and the connector installed correctly. Now all is well and my backups and restores for the Windows7 client are operating properly.