none
Problems with "Proposed Answerer" Achievements?

שאלה

• The "Proposed Answerer" achievements are difficult to get. Many people with many thousands of answers (which I know don't count toward these achievements, but that is all we can see) don't have Proposed Answerer II and III achievements. Also, I see someone with "Proposed Answerer III", but not "Proposed Answerer II". Recently I saw someone that got "Proposed Answerer III" before they got "Proposed Answerer II".  Was there a problem?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

שבת 24 מרץ 2012 00:41

תשובות

• There was a problem, but it should be fixed now. Let us know if you see this problem happen again with the current code.

Yes, in nature the "Proposed Answerer" achievements can be difficult. You have to propose your own answer or have someone else propose your answer. Then the OP or a Moderator has to then mark your answer. Then you have one mark toward getting a Proposed Answerer medal. If you get one mark, then you'll get the Proposed Answerer I (Bronze) medal. If you get 500 marks, then you get the Proposed Answerer II (Silver) medal. If you get 2,000 marks, then you get the Proposed Answerer III (Gold) medal.

Now, I would say that most people only get maybe one or two out of 100 answers as Proposed Answerers. You'd think it would be more often, but the sad reality is that people don't propose each other's answers very often, and when they do, most of those aren't even marked as answers.

So if you were to have 2 Proposed Answers out of every 100 answers, then that means you would likely need 25,000 answers in order to get 500 Proposed Answer marks in order to get that Proposed Answerer II Silver medal.

Ha! I obviously don't have that many answers (yet I have the silver medal), but I took the mediation steps that I'll share below.

As another example, Naomi has the Silver achievement, even though she only has 7,000 answers (not the 25,000 I mentioned above):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/naomi%20%20n/

However, she also uses the mitigations that I mention below.

Let me give you one more example. Steef-Jan and I have been competing for medals, and it currently looks like I have one more Silver medal than him (19 versus 18), and one of mine he doesn't have is this difficult-to-get silver medal. He currently has 1,791 answers, but he doesn't yet have 500 Proposed Answers. It's incredibly difficult to get. Check out his profile here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/steef-jan%20wiggers/?ws=usercard-mini

Naomi and I are both still working toward that incredibly elusive Proposed Answerer III gold medal.

Here is the mitigation strategy we're using (so that we don't have to answer 25,000 questions in order to get 500 Proposed Answers)...

1. Unfortunately it helps if you're a Moderator/Answerer. Not everyone is, but everyone has the opportunity to work toward it and earn it. Check out my Wiki article about how to become a Moderator on the forums (ping me if you need the link). Then you get you build a team where you and your fellow Moderators propose and mark each other's answers (or you propose and mark your own answers, but that shouldn't be done as often, and I recommend not marking an answer until after you propose it for a week).

2. If you're not a Moderator, you can still build a team to propose each others' answers. Anyone can propose anyone's answers, and it just doesn't happen often enough. You can also propose your own answers (if no one else is proposing them). If you need to have a ton of your replies proposed as answers in order to even get some of them marked as answers.

3. Build relationships with Moderators who can mark your answers. Let them know when you think you've answered a question, make sure your reply has been proposed by someone, and then maybe the Moderator will mark the answer. Note that I still recommend the Moderator waits a week after proposing an answer. So this won't be instantaneous (and shouldn't be). Because ideally it's the OP/Asker who marks answers.

Learn more about earning Achievements here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#How_do_I_earn_achievements

Okay, as you can tell, the Proposed Answerer II and III medals were weighed very heavily (I think the initial assessment assumed that people proposed answers much more often than they actually do). The Proposed Answerer medals are much harder to get than most of their "peer" medals. But that's okay, because everybody has the same challenge to try to earn them!

Good luck! 

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

יום שני 26 מרץ 2012 23:46
    בעלים

כל התגובות

• There was a problem, but it should be fixed now. Let us know if you see this problem happen again with the current code.

Yes, in nature the "Proposed Answerer" achievements can be difficult. You have to propose your own answer or have someone else propose your answer. Then the OP or a Moderator has to then mark your answer. Then you have one mark toward getting a Proposed Answerer medal. If you get one mark, then you'll get the Proposed Answerer I (Bronze) medal. If you get 500 marks, then you get the Proposed Answerer II (Silver) medal. If you get 2,000 marks, then you get the Proposed Answerer III (Gold) medal.

Now, I would say that most people only get maybe one or two out of 100 answers as Proposed Answerers. You'd think it would be more often, but the sad reality is that people don't propose each other's answers very often, and when they do, most of those aren't even marked as answers.

So if you were to have 2 Proposed Answers out of every 100 answers, then that means you would likely need 25,000 answers in order to get 500 Proposed Answer marks in order to get that Proposed Answerer II Silver medal.

Ha! I obviously don't have that many answers (yet I have the silver medal), but I took the mediation steps that I'll share below.

As another example, Naomi has the Silver achievement, even though she only has 7,000 answers (not the 25,000 I mentioned above):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/naomi%20%20n/

However, she also uses the mitigations that I mention below.

Let me give you one more example. Steef-Jan and I have been competing for medals, and it currently looks like I have one more Silver medal than him (19 versus 18), and one of mine he doesn't have is this difficult-to-get silver medal. He currently has 1,791 answers, but he doesn't yet have 500 Proposed Answers. It's incredibly difficult to get. Check out his profile here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/steef-jan%20wiggers/?ws=usercard-mini

Naomi and I are both still working toward that incredibly elusive Proposed Answerer III gold medal.

Here is the mitigation strategy we're using (so that we don't have to answer 25,000 questions in order to get 500 Proposed Answers)...

1. Unfortunately it helps if you're a Moderator/Answerer. Not everyone is, but everyone has the opportunity to work toward it and earn it. Check out my Wiki article about how to become a Moderator on the forums (ping me if you need the link). Then you get you build a team where you and your fellow Moderators propose and mark each other's answers (or you propose and mark your own answers, but that shouldn't be done as often, and I recommend not marking an answer until after you propose it for a week).

2. If you're not a Moderator, you can still build a team to propose each others' answers. Anyone can propose anyone's answers, and it just doesn't happen often enough. You can also propose your own answers (if no one else is proposing them). If you need to have a ton of your replies proposed as answers in order to even get some of them marked as answers.

3. Build relationships with Moderators who can mark your answers. Let them know when you think you've answered a question, make sure your reply has been proposed by someone, and then maybe the Moderator will mark the answer. Note that I still recommend the Moderator waits a week after proposing an answer. So this won't be instantaneous (and shouldn't be). Because ideally it's the OP/Asker who marks answers.

Learn more about earning Achievements here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#How_do_I_earn_achievements

Okay, as you can tell, the Proposed Answerer II and III medals were weighed very heavily (I think the initial assessment assumed that people proposed answers much more often than they actually do). The Proposed Answerer medals are much harder to get than most of their "peer" medals. But that's okay, because everybody has the same challenge to try to earn them!

Good luck! 

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

יום שני 26 מרץ 2012 23:46
    בעלים
  • That explanation helps. I appears to be much easier to get answerer achievements than proposed answerer achievements.

יום שלישי 27 מרץ 2012 02:42
  • Since mid December I've copied my activities to a text file, so I can run scripts to keep track of the number of answers I've marked, etc. I realized I can tell how many threads I have gotten credit for both an answer and a proposed answer. Assuming the same reply in the thread was marked (and one answer per thread), I can estimate the percentage of my proposed answers that become answers. Since mid December I have contributed 342 answers and 195 proposed answers. But in only 55 cases was I credited with a proposed answer and an answer in the same thread (matching by title). So at most 16% of my answers were first proposed answers.

When I moderate, I wait a week after the last reply before marking an answer, but generally I've marked the reply as a proposed answer only a few days before. Out of 502 replies I've marked as proposed answers since mid December, I've been able to mark 270 as answers.

יום שלישי 27 מרץ 2012 03:44
  • Can you show samples of profiles with Proposed Answerer 3 or Forum's Curator 3? I believe there is some bug here. Say, SQLUSA doesn't have even 2 of these 2 achievements and he marks at least 30 answers a week (often more).

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

יום רביעי 28 מרץ 2012 05:32
  • Here Proposed Answerer 3 was awarded before Proposed Answerer 2:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/meinolf%20weber/?ws=usercard-mini

Some of the few Curator 3 I've seen, awarded when the new system first deployed:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/stephen%20boots/?ws=usercard-mini

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/carey%20frisch/?ws=usercard-mini

More recent, but Curator 2 and 3 on the same day:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/elytis%20cheng/?ws=usercard-mini

and here Proposed Answerer 3, but not 2:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/jrv/?ws=usercard-mini

I'm not sure anyone has really gotton Proposed Answerer 3 yet.

יום רביעי 28 מרץ 2012 08:07
  • "Mitigating strategy"? I'm sorry but this is exactly the sort of undesired activity achievements encourage.

Another good strategy to get the (code) answerer achievements (AND points) is to get your friend asking questions you know the answer to! Or does he have to be a moderator for this to be acceptable?

I suppose achievements work to the benefit of the community most of the time but this sort of "playing the system" would be questionable even if this were a game.

...just making a point. :)

יום רביעי 28 מרץ 2012 10:04