Cannot delete old back up files/folders

Kérdés

• When I had Windows Live One Care, it backed up my files to an external hard drive.  I have not had the WLOC for some time and I now want to delete all of those old back up files but it will not let me.  All files are marked "Do Not Delete".  I have gone into the file properties and unchecked the "Read only" box, but still cannot delete them.  How do I get rid of these files?
    2010. december 3. 4:17

Válaszok

• Simplest way is to copy any individual files or folders you need to keep from the external drive temporarily to a folder on your internal drive.  Then simply format the external drive to completely wipe out everything and start fresh.  Then copy back the files from the internal drive if any.

There are instructions for manually removing only the backup files in a 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum where you posted, but these are a bit complex and sometimes haven't worked well for particular systems.

Rob

2010. december 3. 5:39
    Moderátor
  • When I had Windows Live One Care, it backed up my files to an external hard drive.  I have not had the WLOC for some time and I now want to delete all of those old back up files but it will not let me.  All files are marked "Do Not Delete".  I have gone into the file properties and unchecked the "Read only" box, but still cannot delete them.  How do I get rid of these files?

See: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    2010. december 3. 12:31
    Moderátor

Az összes válasz

• Simplest way is to copy any individual files or folders you need to keep from the external drive temporarily to a folder on your internal drive.  Then simply format the external drive to completely wipe out everything and start fresh.  Then copy back the files from the internal drive if any.

There are instructions for manually removing only the backup files in a 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum where you posted, but these are a bit complex and sometimes haven't worked well for particular systems.

Rob

2010. december 3. 5:39
    Moderátor

See: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    2010. december 3. 12:31
    Moderátor
  • Thanks, but there is not enough room on my internal hard drive to store all the stuff that I want to keep from my external hard drive, so this is not a good option.  I may have to try to more complex manual procedure.
    2010. december 4. 3:00