none
So many choices - Software or Hardware Raid / Mirror??

Kérdés

• Well, so many options, if there is anyone out there with possible options, please can you assist:

Server almost complete with the following:

160G Drive x2

500G Drive x1

1 TB Drive x3

I store Photo's & HD Video of family, and want to be able to Stream Video via Network onto DNLA TV.

So I need the safety of Mirror or RAID from the 6 way SATA motherboard or WHS for the Pics & Vids, but the speed to Stream the Video.

Do I Raid 1 the 2x160's and put the OS on them, and then Raid 5 the 3x 1TB's and use the 500G as a spare or something else - I dunno... what do I do??

I also want the expandability for adding additional drives as funds are available - are there any limitations on number of drives??

Thanks All.

2012. február 27. 19:37

Válaszok

• Use the inbuilt server backup functionality to back up your server and data to an external 2TB drive. Have a second drive offsite to take into account unexpected scenarios such as fire flood etc. Note that you can not back up more than 2TB data by this method.

RAID is not particularly good for the OS as you can restore it directly from a server backup in the event of failure. It's also not good for data backup (think motherboard failure, fire etc) but good for data availability in the event of drive failure.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Megjelölte válaszként: Quikintheair 2012. március 4. 10:14
    2012. február 27. 21:15