Duplication Status

Kérdés

• I understand WHS is targeting a novice audience and "Ease of Use" is supposed to be a major selling point of the software.  I think WHS hits a home run with this.  

I think it would be nice to see some sort of feedback as to the satus of folder duplication.   When the folder duplication is enabled the light is Green (provided WHS doesn't detect any HW issues), but that doesn't necessarily mean all is well.   The data is not truly protected until disk migrator has had a chance to copy all the files to a secondary drive.   If your primary drive goes down before the duplication completes you are SOL.  

Something as simple as adding a second column with another green light button when duplication is completed would be helpful.

Based on reading this forum the disk balancing process seems to be either Stupid, Lazy, Slow or "resource stingy by design" (depending on who is posting) so my guess it it would take a long time for this new light go green...
    2008. április 12. 20:22

Az összes válasz

• There is already an Add-In which will provide this information - and more.

Colin

2008. április 13. 9:01
  • Are you talking about the "Duplication Info" Add-In?    I have this one installed, but for real world usage it is not all that useful.   It will show you how duplicated files are laid out across multiple drives, but nobody is going to go through each and every file to make sure they have been duplicated.    

What I do not like with the currently implementation of WHS is the following:

If I have a 25GB share, and I enable duplication If I then go to the server storage tab, it will show a 25GB chunk of data is being duplicated.    I know there is no way all 25GB was copied over to another drive such a short time, so WHS is telling me it acknowledges I want this share duplicated, but I really never get any feedback WHS was able to sucessfully carry out what I instructed it to do.    

I would rather see the pie chart carve out 25gb in grey and then fill it in with orange slowly as it copies the files over.

When it comes to my data I like to "trust" software, but "verify", and for a product who is touting "ease of use" the end user should not have to be pouring over any type of logs to verify the product has done what was asked of it.

So far I am really loving WHS, and It has been passing all the major tests I have thrown at it in line with what I will be using it for.    Once power pack 1 is released then I can start thinking about putting production data on it.
    2008. április 13. 13:05