none
Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition active directory web services Cannot be enabled from dcpromo.exe ADWS not installed.

Kérdés

• I am trying to install Windows HPC pack 2008 r2 express on a Server running windows server 2008 r2 hpc edition. When runnning dcpromo.exe to set up the Domain and DNS, just before it asks me to restart, an error box comes up saying that "active directory web services cannot be enabled because it does not exist as an installed service". I Have tryed 4 Fresh installs of it each time trying a diffrent order of installing things. and one install of installing nothing but updates and running dcpromo.exe. I have tryed one install of it with SQL standard visual studio pro installed also but non have fixed the Error. The HPC pack then will wont let me log on. Any Help would be appreciated.

This Post was previously In the Windows Server> Directory Services.

Edit: I have looked at the dcpromo.log but cannot find any clues to the problem. If anyone wants i can Copy & Paste the log here. I have also looked at other logs but have not found anything related to the problem. The Active Directory Administrative Center also comes up with "Cannot find an available Server in the NFS (My domain name: NFS) domain that is running the ADWS service". Also in the Server Manager, when i scan the role it also says that ADWS is stopped.

Edit2: Anyway of getting back licence keys used during all of the fresh installs? I used 4 but after each install i have reformated the HDD's and am no longer useing that install of the os. I would like to get back the licences that i have used only for trying to fix this problem. I am not using them now.

Thanks, Chris

2011. május 20. 12:39

Válaszok

• Thanks for everyone’s help.

I have found out what I think to be the answer.

Quoted from (Rob-HPC)

Because the HPC version of Server 2008 R2 is based on the Web Edition, and the Web Edition doesn't support being installed as a domain controller, I think it would be safe to assume the HPC version probably isn't supported as a Domain Controller either. You probably ran into a bug that allowed you to install it as such. I would recommend installing these as separate servers. If you're trying to run a CA on it as well, you really need to run Enterprise. Look at it this way, I wouldn't load up your head node with a ton of "extra" stuff, keep its role simple, and ready to handle the HPC jobs.”

Thanks to Rob-HPC for that reply.

I did a lot of testing and here is what I have found out:

If you want to run the HPC edition as a domain controller, you can only install and set it up ONCE. After you have done it once it will not work again if you try to uninstall it or change setting. It still may give the error after a while anyway. One funny thing is that when you search for the name of the missing service ADWS it comes up with a lot of install packages and other things. This is all in the same folder as some of the other services as the other packages and files have names of other services, some of which are already installed. So it seems as if everything is there to install and it shows on the comparison page of the editions that the HPC edition has FULL support for Active Directory Domain Services. http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/C/6/FC6006B5-866E-42C1-88F8-9AC4B8BC610D/WS%20Brand%20Pages%20-%20Editions%20Comparison%20Guide.pdf

Somethings that may fix this problem:

If you already have this problem you can try and fix it by adding another NIC card into a spare PCI slot. This has worked for a few servers, but on some of them the error has come back after a while.

Removing the bios battery for a while and then putting it back in after reformatting the hard drives has fixed the problem on a few servers, but you will have to redo all your settings in the bios, and it may cause other problems.

After lots of testing and using a couple of servers, this is my recommendation:

Get the Standard edition of windows server and Install it with the HPC-pack on the head node and the domain controller and any other node that not a compute node. Then get the HPC edition and install it only on the compute nodes of the cluster.

Thanks for all the replies and I hope this helps all the people with this problem.

Thanks to “Rob-HPC” for his helpful reply.

Thanks, Chris

• Megjelölte válaszként: Chris HPC 2011. december 10. 16:38
    • Szerkesztette: Chris HPC 2011. december 10. 16:43 Spelling and added another sentance
    2011. december 10. 16:38

Az összes válasz

• Any help?

I still cannot get Adws enabled. And i still get that error message from dcpromo^ I have 4 nics on the motherboard and i read that someone changed them and they got the error to go away. Has anyone eles done this or had this problem? I cannot change my nics out becasue they are built on the serverboard. How do i get this Error to go away?

Thanks, Chris

2011. május 27. 13:03
  • Chris, you'll not be able to run dcpromo on the HPC Edition of Windows Server you will need to start with Windows Server Standard, Enterprise or Datacentre to do this and then add the HPC Pack to this.

Trev

2011. május 31. 20:33
  • Thanks for the Reply,

I can run dcpromo, and the first time i ran it, it worked and did not come up with this ADWS Error, but it had a different Error which it said that i needed to reinstall it. So i did and then this ADWS Error came...  I think that if you need another Edition of windows server, Microsoft should say that clealy.

I think that you are correct though. I will try and get another Edition of windows server to run dcpromo. I will say how it went...

Thanks, Chris

2011. június 6. 10:47
  • Thanks for the Reply,

I can run dcpromo, and the first time i ran it, it worked and did not come up with this ADWS Error, but it had a different Error which it said that i needed to reinstall it. So i did and then this ADWS Error came...  I think that if you need another Edition of windows server, Microsoft should say that clealy.

I think that you are correct though. I will try and get another Edition of windows server to run dcpromo. I will say how it went...

Thanks, Chris

Similar for me. The AD worked on my Windows HPC Edition VM before, then suddenly it stoped working and I get the same ADWS error. I didnt change any configuration when it just broke. I really have no clue what event could cause it. I was just debugging my SOA service.
    2011. augusztus 3. 1:11
  • did anyone solve this I just had the exact same problem after uninstalling certificate role and remote gateway roles (if that has something to do with it ) or could it be an update I do have those auto installing ?

2011. november 1. 14:16
  • Because the HPC version of Server 2008 R2 is based on the Web Edition, and the Web Edition doesn't support being installed as a domain controller, I think it would be safe to assume the HPC version probably isn't supported as a Domain Controller either.  You probably ran into a bug that allowed you to install it as such.  I would recommend installing these as seperate servers.  If you're trying to run a CA on it as well, you really need to run Enterprise.  Look at it this way, I wouldn't load up your head node with a ton of "extra" stuff, keep it's role simple, and ready to handle the HPC jobs.

• Válasznak javasolta: Rob-HPC 2011. november 1. 14:30
    2011. november 1. 14:30
  • Thanks for everyone’s help.

I have found out what I think to be the answer.

Quoted from (Rob-HPC)

Because the HPC version of Server 2008 R2 is based on the Web Edition, and the Web Edition doesn't support being installed as a domain controller, I think it would be safe to assume the HPC version probably isn't supported as a Domain Controller either. You probably ran into a bug that allowed you to install it as such. I would recommend installing these as separate servers. If you're trying to run a CA on it as well, you really need to run Enterprise. Look at it this way, I wouldn't load up your head node with a ton of "extra" stuff, keep its role simple, and ready to handle the HPC jobs.”

Thanks to Rob-HPC for that reply.

I did a lot of testing and here is what I have found out:

If you want to run the HPC edition as a domain controller, you can only install and set it up ONCE. After you have done it once it will not work again if you try to uninstall it or change setting. It still may give the error after a while anyway. One funny thing is that when you search for the name of the missing service ADWS it comes up with a lot of install packages and other things. This is all in the same folder as some of the other services as the other packages and files have names of other services, some of which are already installed. So it seems as if everything is there to install and it shows on the comparison page of the editions that the HPC edition has FULL support for Active Directory Domain Services. http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/C/6/FC6006B5-866E-42C1-88F8-9AC4B8BC610D/WS%20Brand%20Pages%20-%20Editions%20Comparison%20Guide.pdf

Somethings that may fix this problem:

If you already have this problem you can try and fix it by adding another NIC card into a spare PCI slot. This has worked for a few servers, but on some of them the error has come back after a while.

Removing the bios battery for a while and then putting it back in after reformatting the hard drives has fixed the problem on a few servers, but you will have to redo all your settings in the bios, and it may cause other problems.

After lots of testing and using a couple of servers, this is my recommendation:

Get the Standard edition of windows server and Install it with the HPC-pack on the head node and the domain controller and any other node that not a compute node. Then get the HPC edition and install it only on the compute nodes of the cluster.

Thanks for all the replies and I hope this helps all the people with this problem.

Thanks to “Rob-HPC” for his helpful reply.

Thanks, Chris

• Megjelölte válaszként: Chris HPC 2011. december 10. 16:38
    • Szerkesztette: Chris HPC 2011. december 10. 16:43 Spelling and added another sentance
    2011. december 10. 16:38
  • Hi Rob,

I have somewhat of a similar issue, I installed windows hpc server 2008 sp1, then ran dcpromo.  And installed HPC Server Pack, I had my active directory configured and now its got a red x preventing me from accessing it.  It's also telling me to start the RPC and the AWDS needs to be running.  I have the Active directory service running but the netlogon, workstation is cannot be enabled.  I have the RPC actually running but its grayed out.    I've restarted a few times already and had no problems. I had recently done a few microsoft updates and my headnode start having some trouble being unable to go online.  This is where I was having an issue for HPC Cluster manager.  However I've done few things as to bring it back up, such as starting the ssdp service,Function Discovery Resource Publication,SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host,  somehow the node appeared online. All my compute nodes seem to be working but I still have this issue with teh ADWS service.  I also have the red on my network systray icon.  However all my adapters are working and are enabled.  Each can be pinged as well as ping out to the compute nodes.  I'm not sure how any of this is running with the ADWS although the active directory domain services are enabled as well as the dns server and dhcp.  Any ideas? 

2012. április 25. 22:52