Want to build your own File Sync tool?

Általános vita

• Are you interested in building your own SyncToy like File Synchronization solution and embedding that in your application?

As you likely already know, SyncToy is a free tool which helps you copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders and computers quickly. At the core of SyncToy is Sync Services for File System which is a component of the Microsoft Sync Framework (freely available on Windows platforms). The Microsoft Sync Framework was built to enable synchronization of any data source including Files.   

Ultimately you can think of SyncToy as a nice UI wrapper built on top of Sync Services for File Systems.

If you download a copy of the latest Microsoft Sync Framework, you will find a number of file synchronization samples that will enable you to build a solution very similar to that of SyncToy.  Not surpisingly, the samples function very similar to the way that SyncToy does.  Within these samples you can modify them however you like.  Whether that is to synchronize files with a Web Site (such as Flickr or SmugMug) or over a network (including Bluetooth, or WiFi).

If you are interested in learning more or if you have any questions.  Please visit our Sync Developer Center and our Sync Forum.

2008. február 22. 17:18

Az összes válasz

• All the samples seem to be in C++ or C#.  Is there an an equivalent in VB?

2008. június 17. 5:34
  • All the code samples seem to be in C++ or C#.  Is there a VB equivalent?

2008. június 17. 5:36
  • I have the exact same question as above posted by trlambert1.  I am a vbs/powershell administrator and in order to take advantage of this technology, I would need to learn C# or C++!! 

Thanks

2008. június 17. 9:00
  • Hi,

Yes, there is more that we can do to improve the number of VB samples we have, however, there is one File Sync example that was written in VB within our samples directory that comes with the product.  You can find it here:

\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\v1.0\Samples\ManagedNTFSSample

Liam

2008. június 17. 17:39
  •  

Will the Sync Framework allow file syncronization across directories that do not have drive letters, such as Windows Mobile PDAs, digital camera, or a Zune?  All these show up under "Other" in My Computer.
    2008. június 24. 19:11
  •  

Any chance I could get some elaboration on "Whether that is to synchronize files with a Web Site"

I'm looking into an application that can sync files between multiple clients via HTTP.

2008. július 3. 4:53
  • Yes,

But I have one issue:

I downloaded the CTP2 framework, but no samples are included. Where can I download them? As the API changed between CTP1 and 2, the former do not compile.

2008. július 4. 13:00
  • Hello,

I'm currently building one.

http://www.codeplex.com/FileSynchronizer1

2008. július 13. 21:01
  • That is great, thank-you for taking the initiative to get this started!  I will make a post to this link from our sync blog to hopefully get more people to help add to this.

Thanks,

Liam

2008. július 14. 17:01
  • It would be great to see some samples that incorporate BITS and RDC technologies from Microsoft to allow highly effecient background syncing using the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and reducing bytes transmitted by incorporating Remote Differential Compression.

BITS

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362708.aspx

RDC

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372948(VS.85).aspx

2008. július 15. 11:10
    • I have set the properties of the secondary folder as “read only” however when I add a new document to or change a document in the primary folder and run Sync All, the new file is not set as “read only” Is there a way to maintain the “read only” properties of the new or changed file?
    2008. október 16. 20:09
  • A question re sync types - i have been tasked with providing a small app that would make use of the framework

i will be syncronising folder pairs form workstations to a networked resource.

after working through the samples provided i am wanting to know where you differentiate between the types of sync operations available in synctoy i.e Syncronize and Echo

any advice or guidance is appreciated

2008. december 12. 15:11
  • Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.
  • Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
  • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.

Liam

2008. december 12. 16:29
  •  

I would like this as well.  I've played with BITS (pardon the pun) a bit, and it's no walk in the park.
    2009. január 1. 9:46
  • Would echo work properly and delete files on the right even if they have been "touched" or updated? This is the only serious flaw in SyncToy which is otherwise a wonderful tool and extremly useful in my backup scenarios where I mirror to a removable sata drive to take off site and swap in another alternate and bring that one up to "sync". I'd much prefer SyncToy was fixed though so I did not have to write my own application that did the same functionality. Is this a defect or artifact of the sync framework or does SyncToy do this for some reason on purpose? Thanks, Dave
    Dave
    2009. március 25. 3:44
  • Hi Liam, has Microsoft considered embedding the synctoy functionality into the actual copy/paste feature. When I was a mac developer back in the 90's, I used a product called SmartCopy that basically sped up your copying in the same manner as synctoy, except it patched the copy/paste and allowed you to perform smart copying plus some additional features (docking of multiple copying windows, maybe a pause, been a while...)
    2009. május 14. 14:54
  •  

Will the Sync Framework allow file syncronization across directories that do not have drive letters, such as Windows Mobile PDAs, digital camera, or a Zune?  All these show up under "Other" in My Computer.

I love to know the answer for this as well! I am interested to get SyncToy working with my Nokia Phone with a SD card over the bluetooth. It has no drive letter thus giving me an error. Error here: http://i28.tinypic.com/whgyut.jpg
    2009. július 7. 12:04
  • "Within these samples you can modify them however you like.  Whether that is to synchronize files with a Web Site (such as Flickr or SmugMug)"

This is what I am interested in doing.  Except I want to host the sync engine in a web service and send back to the client app (that is initiating the sync) a "script" of actions it has to take to synchronize with the remote storage provider (e.g., SmugMug).

Could you give me some guidance on which samples/where in the samples I should look to get up to speed?

Thank you,

Pete
    2009. augusztus 21. 21:50
  • How about Sync+DFS for Enterprise applications?
    You see, every one can work on his owner pc and easy to store it to servers(Maybe windows server or unix like server) without always keep connect to the network.This just a local workspace ,not a network disk driver mapping.

And each file have a unique key, on the server ,many file can  just have one copy , and others just reference it.
    When all reference remove , we can delete that file , like com .
    for a enterprise , simplefy information manage is useful. 

2009. augusztus 22. 17:14
  • I use a programme to file synchronization, which is called File Sync. [URL="http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/229"]File sync and backup software[/URL] is a necessary thing for everybody. That is why I use this program and haven't such problems. What do you think about it?
    2009. október 12. 17:46
  • I use a programme to file synchronization, which is called File Sync. [URL="http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/229"]File sync and backup software[/URL] is a necessary thing for everybody. That is why I use this program and haven't such problems. What do you think about it?

I didn t find any option  to snyc via powershell.
    My current Backupconfiguration is controlled by a batch file.  So it seems moleskinsoft file sync is no solution for me.
    2009. október 26. 18:03
  • How can I achieve some function that SyncToy implements ?

I cannot find any method or property that I will be able to direct Framework to change

its action behavior like Echo , Contribute .

2010. szeptember 10. 3:58
  • PING

since windows RT cannot install traditional exes, and therefore has no way to sync skydrive, a timed script to sync skydrive with a local folder could be perfect. skydrive can be mapped to a drive letter in RT.

I have been playing with this powershell one, but it does not sync deletions and is kind of slow and heavy because it checks the md5 to compare files for newness:

http://bsonposh.com/archives/231

2013. május 21. 15:51