I've been using OneCare in a multi-PC environment since December and I'm pleased with it. But, as an observation, I've seen that the only "problem" that ever needs to be "fixed" is that my print queue needs to be cleared about once a month.
I don't notice any other problems, but I don't know if that's a product of OneCare fixing things and not mentioning them, or that I don't develop any problems. If clearing the print queue is my only problem (and it recurs about once a month), frankly I don't want to know about that either - just clear it and move on. Again, just an observation - not an annoyance. THanks for your time.16 Juli 2009 12:24
There are some things that OneCare does without telling you, but most of them are security items, not performance related. This one is a performance related item, which personally I think should not be monitored by OneCare. I agree that there should be an option on the "alert" to tell OneCare to always clear the queue without prompting in the future. There won't be any changes to OneCare and the successor product won't have this feature.
I'm glad to read that it is generally working well for you.
Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator16 Juli 2009 12:57
I have been having this problem on a daily basis for the past 3 months. Nothing has changed on the computer except as with everyone else the One Care subscription was up in January. Are there any fixes available for this? As far as I know, there is never anything left in the print queue.06 Februari 2010 2:15
I have been having this problem on a daily basis for the past 3 months. Nothing has changed on the computer except as with everyone else the One Care subscription was up in January. Are there any fixes available for this? As far as I know, there is never anything left in the print queue.
If your OneCare subscription has expired, you need to remove it and switch to an alternative solution for security. OneCare would be in red status if it has expired.
If OneCare is current and not expired, and it is reporting that the print queue is being cleared, then it sees data in the queue and is removing it. There's nothing that I'm aware of to stop this from happening.
~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~08 Februari 2010 12:53
While my subscription has expired, One care has extended all subscriptions at no charge while they are coming up with an alternative.
Dear Joel Moskowitz,
This mail is confirmation that you have successfully renewed your subscription to a Free 6 month extension. This renewal goes into effect on Saturday, January 23, 2010. Here is a description of the service:
OneCare provides the PC care services you need to stay safe online and keep your home PCs tuned and running smoothly. Because OneCare will be discontinued in late 2010, we are no longer taking renewals. However, since you are a valued OneCare customer, we are extending your subscription for 6 months free of charge. NO ACTION IS REQUIRED. YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL NOT BE CHARGED. You can continue to enjoy the full benefits of OneCare throughout the extended term of your subscription. We will provide information on new options shortly before your subscription expires. Thank you for choosing OneCare. Offer valid in US only.
For information about your account, go to https://billing.microsoft.com, and select one of the following options:
- To update payment information, click on the payment method's link under 'Payment type', on the next page click 'Go to payment method information', and on the next page click 'Edit payment method information'.
- For information about canceling a service, click the service name, and then on the next page click 'Cancel my service'.
- To view a billing statement for a payment method, click the payment method's link under 'Payment type'.
- To review the agreement that you accepted when purchasing a service, click the service name, and then on the next page click 'Read service agreement'.
- For help with your account, click 'Contact support'.
Thank you for using Microsoft Online Services.
Microsoft Customer Support08 Februari 2010 14:46
The alternative has already been released - it does not include many of the features of OneCare.
You can use the free Microsoft Security essentials for malware protection - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/resources.aspx
If OneCare reports that the queue is being emptied on a daily basis, but you are sure that the queue is already empty, then I'd consider the following (in order by preferred to least preferred - my opinion):
1. Ignore the issue and let OneCare alert you daily
2. Remove OneCare and install Microsoft Security Essentials
3. Try the database reset tool - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en - note that using this will cause OneCare to revert to default settings. This means any exceptions and settings will need to be reconfigured and if you are using Backup, a new full backup will be required. Schedules will also need to be reset.
4. Try reinstalling OneCare - same note applies. A reinstall cleans the slate.
5. Contact OneCare support:
How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~08 Februari 2010 19:39