Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer

Pertanyaan

•  Problem is with Acer 3003LC Laptop. Microsoft Validation was done in UK then Laptop was at Uni in USA. Now back in UK and when I try run Microsoft Update I get the message in the Subject along with:

o register or install the missing files for me now

o let me read about more steps etc

Clicking "register" brings back the same message.

Ran AVG antivirus, Spybot and Ad-AwareSE successfully. No virus problems detected. Have rerun Validation and checked out ok.

Wary of reinstalling Acer installation files in case I lose other information.

05 Maret 2007 21:03

Jawaban

• Your problem can be corrected by re-registering the various dll files that Windows Update requires to run.

To do this click on the “Start” button then “Run” and enter the following command into the “Run” dialog box

(be sure to press the Enter key on your keyboard after each entry)

· regsvr32 wuapi.dll

You should then receive a message to say it was successful. The above process then needs to be done for each of the following commands:

· regsvr32 wups.dll

· regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

· regsvr32 wucltui.dll

· regsvr32 atl.dll

· regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Afterward, please restart your computer.

05 Maret 2007 23:00
  • Thanks Carey. Did what you said and update now working successfully again.

Any idea what could have caused this to happen?

06 Maret 2007 1:22
  • THANK YOU, CAREY!!!!!!! There has been a problem with installing updates on my laptop for the past 9 months (although there was no problem for the first 7 months that I owned the thing and I didn't do anything silly like clean the registry) and after going through 3 email MS help techs, 2 "computer savvy" friends, one paid consultant and then finally reformatting my hard drive, I STILL had the problem until another computer savvy friend found your post with the answer. I still don't know how the thing got squirrely in the first place, but now it's fixed, thanks to your help  - the karma points are piling up for you, my friend ;>)
    08 Maret 2007 1:31
  • Carey,

Thanks so much for this solution. I was trying to be a good sheep for Microsoft and install all of the updates and Windows Defender when I couldn't install the updates any longer. I hope that Microsoft puts your solution in its Knowledge Base so it will be easier to find. I also have an ACER 3000 laptop that this problem occured on.

01 Mei 2007 0:22
  •  

This was excellent.  I have been working on this issue for hours then searched the site and ran each one of these dll's and voila!  I could get the updates and sign into Windows Messenger!
    19 Agustus 2007 20:34
  • Hello Obynz,

Thank you for working with us while we try and provide you with a resolution.  I have tried different resolves surrounding possible scenarios for WGA based on the feedback and error codes received. The problem which you are experiencing is not within the scope of WGA. 

Your last post provided good information. Error code 0x80004005 coupled with messaging DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed. In reality, you are having a problem with Windows Updates rather than Windows or Office Genuine Advantage.  Briefly I researched the error code you received and would like to provide you with some information. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932628/en-us

Please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page to find assistance in solving your Windows Updates difficulties.

Or, visit the WU Solution Center here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Or, have a look at the WU support forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Another alternative should you not find resolve please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029. Hopefully the above information will resolve your problem. Should it not then hopefully I have provided you with enough information to get a resolution. Take care and should you have future WGA problems please visit me again here :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

17 Desember 2007 18:45

Semua Balasan

• Your problem can be corrected by re-registering the various dll files that Windows Update requires to run.

To do this click on the “Start” button then “Run” and enter the following command into the “Run” dialog box

(be sure to press the Enter key on your keyboard after each entry)

· regsvr32 wuapi.dll

You should then receive a message to say it was successful. The above process then needs to be done for each of the following commands:

· regsvr32 wups.dll

· regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

· regsvr32 wucltui.dll

· regsvr32 atl.dll

· regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Afterward, please restart your computer.

05 Maret 2007 23:00
  • Thanks Carey. Did what you said and update now working successfully again.

Any idea what could have caused this to happen?

06 Maret 2007 1:22
  • THANK YOU, CAREY!!!!!!! There has been a problem with installing updates on my laptop for the past 9 months (although there was no problem for the first 7 months that I owned the thing and I didn't do anything silly like clean the registry) and after going through 3 email MS help techs, 2 "computer savvy" friends, one paid consultant and then finally reformatting my hard drive, I STILL had the problem until another computer savvy friend found your post with the answer. I still don't know how the thing got squirrely in the first place, but now it's fixed, thanks to your help  - the karma points are piling up for you, my friend ;>)
    08 Maret 2007 1:31
  • Carey,

Thanks so much for this solution. I was trying to be a good sheep for Microsoft and install all of the updates and Windows Defender when I couldn't install the updates any longer. I hope that Microsoft puts your solution in its Knowledge Base so it will be easier to find. I also have an ACER 3000 laptop that this problem occured on.

01 Mei 2007 0:22
  •  

This was excellent.  I have been working on this issue for hours then searched the site and ran each one of these dll's and voila!  I could get the updates and sign into Windows Messenger!
    19 Agustus 2007 20:34
  • Hi,

I seem to be having the same issue outlined above. I have re-registered all the dll's apart from msxml3.dll. It comes back with the following error:

DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80070005

As such, MSN live messenger and windows update are still not working..

Please can you help....

Thanks

17 Desember 2007 15:04
  • Hello Obynz,

Thank you for working with us while we try and provide you with a resolution.  I have tried different resolves surrounding possible scenarios for WGA based on the feedback and error codes received. The problem which you are experiencing is not within the scope of WGA. 

Your last post provided good information. Error code 0x80004005 coupled with messaging DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed. In reality, you are having a problem with Windows Updates rather than Windows or Office Genuine Advantage.  Briefly I researched the error code you received and would like to provide you with some information. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932628/en-us

Please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page to find assistance in solving your Windows Updates difficulties.

Or, visit the WU Solution Center here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Or, have a look at the WU support forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Another alternative should you not find resolve please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029. Hopefully the above information will resolve your problem. Should it not then hopefully I have provided you with enough information to get a resolution. Take care and should you have future WGA problems please visit me again here :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

17 Desember 2007 18:45
  • Check system date and time
    dd
    04 Mei 2010 14:55
  •  It is unlikely that anyone will still be monitoring a thread created 3 years ago
    Darin MS
    05 Mei 2010 20:08