30 Maret 2012 23:36
This morning, all of the Outlook clients at our company are crashing whenever anyone tries to look at the Contacts default view.
Other views / entities are working OK. And we can bring up Contact records if we view them from another entity.
There are lots of threads about Outlook crashing but none of the things mentioned there have worked for me, yet. So I'm posting the error from my Application Event log as well as the last few hundred lines in my trace hoping that someone can help me figure out where to start looking for the problem.
There are two different files in my Trace folder: crmadding-20120325.log and <machinename>-OUTLOOK-CLIENT-20120330-1.log. I'm pasting the trace from the first file.
(NOTE: the "date" in the filename is off on the filename; not sure if that means anything)
Application Log Error:
Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.6109.5005, time stamp: 0x4e79b6c8 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd Faulting process id: 0xe40 Faulting application start time: 0x01cd0ecb4253926b Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: 9084f62a-7abe-11e1-be5e-3859f9d90293
My trace file is too big to paste here. So here is a link to a ZIP file: http://athossoftware.com/traces/SEIU-LT0038-OUTLOOK-Client-20120330-1.zip
Errors seem to show up almost right away....
01 April 2012 16:15Moderator
11 April 2012 17:38
For the sake of the search engines......
None of our contacts had the TransactionCurrencyID field set. This was the case since the system was installed. We only have one currency defined in the system.
But (for some unknown reason), two columns which display a currency value began having problems in our default Contact view. This was not a problem when running in IE. However, when using the Outlook client, these columns were causing the clients to crash. We removed the columns and then the Outlook client worked as expected.
But, then we started seeing errors when users had their ReadingPane enabled. This eventually led us to discover that the problem was the missing TransactionCurrencyID values.
We did a back-end update and set all Contacts' TransactionCurrencyID value and then the Outlook clients started working as expected.
But I still have no explanation why the Outlook clients started crashing from one day to the next......
- Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh DadKind 11 April 2012 17:39