none
CRM 2011 plugin debugging - breakpoint is not hit- "Cannot find or open the PDB file" and "A matching symbol file was not found in this folder"

Domanda

• Hello, I have problem with remonte debugging plugin for CRM 2011, breakpoint is not hit. CRM2011 is runnig on Server2008 and DEV with VS2010 is running on Windows 7. It is plugin for custom entity, registered on create (pre-operation, synchronous, server deployment). It is definitely fired (EventLog entry written). Assembly is stored in db (there is written on MSDN, that it should work to have plugin stored in DB and debuggin it), non-isolated, pdb is located in Server\bin\assembly. I followed this http://gururajblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/remote-degugging-in-crm-2011.html and this http://sliong.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/remote-debugging-crm-2011-plugin/. Affter attaching to w3wp.exe I can see my plugin in Modules window, but symbol status is "Cannot find or open the PDB file." When I try to load symbols manualy I am geting "A matching symbol file was not found in this folder." (registered assembly dll and PDB are definitely from same build). I try to register assembly to disk (Server\bin\assembly),which is mentioned to be better for debuging but in this case I am getting error:<ErrorCode>-2147204719</ErrorCode><Message>Unable to load plug-in assembly.</Message>". So I can store registered assembly only in DB. Does anyone has a clue, where can by the problem? Thanks for any hint.

Best regards RV

martedì 10 maggio 2011 15:27

Risposte

• My colleague finally solve it. Problem was that IIS user has not proper rights to Server\bin\assembly :(( The whole CRM server had to be restarted.
    • Contrassegnato come risposta Rene Volkmer giovedì 12 maggio 2011 08:17
    giovedì 12 maggio 2011 08:17

Tutte le risposte

• Whether registered on-disk or in database you need to have the .pdb file in the c:\program files\microsoft dynamics crm\server\bin\assembly folder.  On disk deployment is nice though because you can perform an IIS reset and then just replace the .pdb and .dll files and not have to re-register the plugin or it's steps to iterate in development.

You need to make sure that your pdb file is also the same version as your currently compiled .dll file you have registered.

Also, if Visual Studio isn't on the same box you need to have Visual Studio Remote debugger installed and give permission to the user in order to allow them to attach to the service on your box remotely.  This is doable (but trickier) if you are also on different domains).  It's easiest when visual studio is on your dev CRM server so you can just debug using the local process.

Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    martedì 10 maggio 2011 15:46
    Moderatore
  • Hi Jemie, pdb and dll are from same build and in bin\assembly folder as I wrote before. VS is on another box then CRM App Server, but same domain, permissions set (I assume this is set right, because after attaching w3wp a can see plugin in window with loaded modules, but pdb is not loaded properly). I agree with you that it would be easier to have VS on same box as CRM, but unfortunately, this is not my decision. Anyway thanks for your reply.
    martedì 10 maggio 2011 16:00
  • But you are certain the .pdb file is from the same version of the code?  Could it be an old one?

Did you say that you were using the remote debugger on the CRM server?  You are sure you are connecting to w3wp on the server and not your local machine's IIS right?

Also, if this was a sandbox plugin (I am guess it's not) you would connect to connect to the crm sandbox worker process instead of w3wp.

Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    martedì 10 maggio 2011 16:13
    Moderatore
  • My colleague finally solve it. Problem was that IIS user has not proper rights to Server\bin\assembly :(( The whole CRM server had to be restarted.
    • Contrassegnato come risposta Rene Volkmer giovedì 12 maggio 2011 08:17
    giovedì 12 maggio 2011 08:17
  • Thanks rendalf, this solved my issue too.
    giovedì 8 settembre 2011 22:01
  • How do you re-start the whole CRM server?  I have been working on this forever.  MS BOO!
    I teach VB 2005
    lunedì 23 gennaio 2012 21:06
  • :) I think IIS restart was enough
    martedì 24 gennaio 2012 11:03