onecare and winodws 7

Domanda

• i am quite suprise by onecare antivirus, they did not produce the version for winodws 7 RC, how come other company's like AVG, norton and Karbsky have produce Antivurs for the RC, why we pay one care and there is no care? any idea!!
    mercoledì 6 maggio 2009 18:57

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• The sale of Windows Live One Care will be discontinued after June 30, 2009 and a free antimalware product will be offered sometime in the second half of this year. See this announcement - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ebe7e8de-c7a2-41c7-9072-24d3a2bc04ec
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    mercoledì 6 maggio 2009 20:50
    Moderatore
  • Don't pay for any other anti virus software either, Microsoft is going to be making a FREE alternative available soon. I can't wait to see what kind of impact Microsoft offering free anti virus and protection software is going to have on the billion dollar businesses that have established their bread and butter for so many years by charging people for the same. Norton, McAffee, all these companies who have profited for years off this problem are going to take a huge hit when you can get the product directly from Microsoft for free.

They gave it the name years ago "computer virus", its always seemed like they took the lessons in profitability from it from another well known multi billion dollar industry that uses the term "virus" as well...

Never solve the problem, if you do that you'll put yourself out of business. Instead just make solutions that treat the symptoms but not the cause. Just like the drug makers, don't make a drug that actually cures a problem, instead make something that only treats the symptom.

This new twist from Microsoft will certainly result in some interesting changes, probably even some political lobbying by the competition and even some court cases when their established profits start dropping through the floor. Maybe Microsoft should get in the drug manufacturing business as well and offer everyone running Windows free drugs to treat medical problems. When a virus (medical or digital) is no longer profitable to just treat the symptom but not the root cause then we'll start seeing actual cures to solve the problems once and for all.
    lunedì 11 maggio 2009 06:48
  • There are some old articals where the competition actually commented on this...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10102376-83.html

Seems they seen One Care come and go, now they don't feel anything Microsoft offers, even for free, to be a threat to their business.

Here's more on the soon to be available FREE alternative from Microsoft and the death of One Care...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10101582-83.html?tag=mncol;txt

lunedì 11 maggio 2009 07:07
  • Tony1967,

You're beginning to get closer to the reasons behind the move Microsoft is making to provide the new 'Morro' anti-malware for free.  Initially they couldn't do this since if they had the companies you've already mentioned here would have sued them for unfair competition.  However, over the last several years, several of the smaller anti-virus companies have been offering their own products free to individuals and no one has sued them over it, so now Microsoft can finally do it too.  This proves that their goal is actually protection of their operating system customers and thus their entire product line.

I'm not saying this is the only reason, since MS originally thought the issue was simply that a complete anti-malware cost too much and wasn't properly packaged.  Discovering that there are actually many people who will never install the proper protection, even if it's low cost and effective, was a real eye-opener for them.  At least now they better understand the real problem.

The actual solution (cure) you are seeking for the operating system requires significant changes to not only the OS, but also the applications that run on top of it.  It's the issue of evolving all of this software to a tighter security model and thus allowing the OS to be better secured that has taken so much time.  Otherwise, all of the existing software would have to be 'broken' and re-written from the ground up to operate on a much more secure OS base.

As it is, the best protection an individual can get for themselves right now is to replace their Windows XP systems with a later version of the OS, either Vista or the new Windows 7 due out within a few months.  These OS have been written from the ground up to be more secure and have proven they are through the results of MSRT and other scans regularly performed on many MS based systems.  Though nothing currently available is completely secure, the improvements are quite evident so that now the key problem remaining is clearly the user himself.

Though the 'Read-Only CD' approach you've already mentioned is obviously well protected from malware, it's also not really effective for everyday use by a typical non-technical user base, which is what most Windows users are.  How to evolve the Windows OS that was originally designed as a completely open software platform into a secured model and still allow easy third-party development of applications is really the core issue here, so it will continue to be an evolutionary process.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    lunedì 11 maggio 2009 17:25
    Moderatore
  • I wish Microsoft would have given One Care more time to actually catch on. It was such a great product, albeit still young and in need of some tuning done on it, particularly when it first went to production from beta. I've seen what the alternative AV products out there are like, some like McAffee in my opinion are worse for your system than getting an actual virus. Others like Norton are not so damaging or problematic, but they still eat up so much of your system resources and slow you down to the point of insanity that I myself would rather run with no more protection than a hardware based firewall than use any of those products. I had and always have had loyal faith in Microsoft products, my initial thought on running One Care was who better to provide software protection for me than the company who created and knows every detail of the OS software I am running. I really liked One Care, it has always been light and could be run without even noticing it.

Another thing I liked about One Care was how it was packaged as a one place for me to go to do everything. Windows Defender, Windows Firewall all seemed to be something Microsoft put out there as better than nothing, but with so little attention drawn to it it always left you wondering just how much focus and power they actually put into the products. That and it was annoying not having them packaged to a centralized location on your system like One Care offered.

One Care was only out there barely 3 years, I just don't think they gave it enough time to really catch on, there are so many who ask me for my help for their problems and I see they are running something else, I tell them remove that garbage and install One Care, in every case they have never even heard of One Care before.

Even if they didn't update One Care to work with Win7, they should have still held onto it, they should have also made it work on Win2K, there are still many businesses out there with no IT departments who invested heavily in new systems back in the day of Win2K and are still using it. Even after Win7's final production is released there will still be millions of people who will be running XP still. Its inevitable, every time Microsoft releases a new OS you have those squeaky wheels who are boisterous about commenting on how bad it is and how they are going to stay with the old OS. These same people said this same thing when we all went from NT4 to 2K. When it went from 2K to XP, same people, same story, it was no wonder we still had these same people then saying they will stay with XP and not move up to Vista, even though of all the Microsoft OS's I've had FAR FAR less, almost none at all, problems with Vista. In any case, there will still remain a HUGE market of people out there who won't update to Win7 and would still allow the One Care subscriptions to grow as more people actually discovered the benefits, or the product at all, as well as allowing the product remain on the market long enough to be not only well known, but seasoned and trusted.

After all, the number one complaint I read repeatedly by people when Microsoft releases a new OS version is "I'll wait till SP1 for it is released before I buy or install it on my system". People want to trust a seasoned product, that means it needs to be out there for longer than 2-3 years to obtain its seasoned status. I think the same would easily hold true for One Care if they just gave it the time. After all, One Care is focused on these same exact customers who seem to be extremely hesitant to try anything new.

If they held onto it just a couple more years, and dropped the price from the $49.99 on e the One Care web site to $29.99 everyone else is selling it for they would have a big hit product in time.

I'm really going to mis One Care, its sad that its going away. I had initially planned to buy one of the $29.99 retail subscriptions for renewing my own again, but have since opted to instead just download and run the Win7RC then upgrade to the release version the day its available. I've always in the past avoided the RC's and waited for day one of production releases, this time though, since One Care is leaving anyhow and what I've so far read about Win7 indicates its little more than Vista (which I love) but with improved enhancements I think I'll just try out the RC. I just hope my same Gadgets will work, I have just fallen in love with the Windows sidebar and the gadgets I have on it. Other than IE, I think I use just my gadgets on the sidebar more than anything else hands down on my PC. Once Vista came out and I got hooked on that sidebar I don't even use my Linux systems at all anymore. Just can't stand not having those gadgets right there at my fingertips like that.

If there is someone we can write to, in a public effort for Microsoft to hang in there with One Care please post that contact info somewhere. I think the users you currently have are extremely loyal to the product, many likely even aren't aware yet that its going away. The only other time in my life I've been sad to see a software product go away was when my favorite DVD burning/copying software got yanked because of legal issues with the movie business. I am very disappointed that One Care is being dumped.
    martedì 12 maggio 2009 05:38
  • Tony,

You've missed part of why OneCare is actually going away and are lamenting the loss of something that really isn't being lost.

OneCare was originally created in the two or three years before its release in June of 2006, so it's actually been around for almost twice as long as you think, though it was in Alpha and Beta for half of that time.  In parallel to that the Windows Defender product was created using the same core anti-spyware engine and detections along with the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) detecting a more limited set of the most common malware currently found in the wild.  Both of these were provided free to customers.  OneCare (Home use) and ForeFront (Business) were the full featured anti-malware products and in OneCare's case it also included other maintenance and management features, only some of which were related to security.

The key difference between the time when OneCare released in mid-2006 and now is that at that time only the Windows XP operating system was actually supported since Vista wasn't released yet.  However, even though Windows 2000 was also in existence at that point, it was just ending Mainstream Support, so only critical security updates would be provided in the future.  Win 2000 also was designed for enterprise size businesses and never included any firewall since it was assumed to be behind commercial firewalls.  This meant that the Defender and OneCare products were never actually released for Windows 2000, since it contained none of the built-in support for a firewall or security enhancements that existed in Windows XP Service Pack 2.

As for those who refuse to upgrade, they unfortunately just don't understand the realities of the direction that Microsoft is going and the unnecessary risks they are taking.  Since Windows 2000 Professional will end its Extended Support phase on 7/13/2010 and will no longer be supported even for business, its pointless to spend any development time on it.  Also, Windows XP Professional and XP Home versions just ended their Mainstream Support and entered the Extended Support (critical security updates only) phase on 4/14/2009, so no further development will occur on this platform.  Since the free Morro product is expected to support Windows XP, this will likely be the last product Microsoft creates to specifically support this OS platform.

If you look carefully at the original abilities that OneCare provided, they included anti-virus/anti-spyware, firewall, local backup, Windows update verification and tune-up (temp file clean-up, defrag, backup and malware scans).  All of the other OneCare features came later and were generally niche features that only few have actually used and were generally either management or sharing features that are already included in Windows.

Taking each of these in turn:

AV/AS - New free Morro product will provide the same basic features that OneCare did, with a leaner resource profile and simpler delivery systems.

Firewall - all of the currently supported OS (XP, Vista, Win 7) already contain a firewall that protects from inbound attacks quite effectively.  Outbound firewalls have been found to be relatively ineffective and are only useful in the hands of skilled technical users, thus generally useless in a product intended for non-technical home users.

Backup - For local backup, each OS has a free program available, but better automated products exist for both local and online backup that are sometimes even free.

Windows Updates - If turned on, Automatic Updates work quite effectively on their own, especially on the Vista platform and Win 7.  If malware have disabled this you have bigger problems.

Tune-Up - Temp file clean-up and defrag are already automated in Vista/Win 7 and can easily be in Windwos XP with a scheduled task.  Malware scans will be handled by Morro.

File/Printer Sharing - These were included due primarily to issues created by the OneCare firewall, so they don't exist without it.

WiFi security - built into Windows 7, other OS versions are more manual.

What should be evident from all of this is that the best solution to provide better security is to upgrade the OS to either Vista or Windows 7.  With these OS versions, the additional security and other support applications have much less work to perform, since they are much more secure and automated in the first place.

Back-stepping to fix the older OS versions is pointless, since these are features that the newer OS provides which is what an OS upgrade is about in the first place.  If you want to hold onto the older OS and gain automation, you will need to purchase additional security and maintenance software to do this, probably at an annual cost to upgrade and maintain.  Seems to me it's obvious that when the hardware has aged, it's simpler to buy a new PC with a current OS and might possibly be worth upgrading the OS on an existing PC if it's only a few years old and still working well.

In summary, the cost and complexity of OneCare have stopped at least some from using it already.  Continuing to support it when a much simpler anti-malware program that will work even better on less high performance hardware can be provided free just doesn't make economic sense, for either Microsoft or the consumer.  When combined with the newer operating systems, it will be even more effective, so it becomes even more clear that upgrading the operating system is the right move, not wasting the money and time on old security programs that only patch and don't really solve the deeper security issues that exist in the older OS versions.

Note that you've already stated much of this yourself, you just hadn't noticed that Microsoft was providing the solution in the new operating systems.  This is because everyone has become fixated on the security products rather than solving the problem of outdated OS versions, browsers and other software that we all know are the real issue.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    mercoledì 13 maggio 2009 05:29
    Moderatore
  • Don't pay for any other anti virus software either, Microsoft is going to be making a FREE alternative available soon. I can't wait to see what kind of impact Microsoft offering free anti virus and protection software is going to have on the billion dollar businesses that have established their bread and butter for so many years by charging people for the same. Norton, McAffee, all these companies who have profited for years off this problem are going to take a huge hit when you can get the product directly from Microsoft for free.

They gave it the name years ago "computer virus", its always seemed like they took the lessons in profitability from it from another well known multi billion dollar industry that uses the term "virus" as well...

Never solve the problem, if you do that you'll put yourself out of business. Instead just make solutions that treat the symptoms but not the cause. Just like the drug makers, don't make a drug that actually cures a problem, instead make something that only treats the symptom.

This new twist from Microsoft will certainly result in some interesting changes, probably even some political lobbying by the competition and even some court cases when their established profits start dropping through the floor. Maybe Microsoft should get in the drug manufacturing business as well and offer everyone running Windows free drugs to treat medical problems. When a virus (medical or digital) is no longer profitable to just treat the symptom but not the root cause then we'll start seeing actual cures to solve the problems once and for all.

Hello Fellow Anti-Virus Users (OneCare)
    I really can't understand why Windows Live OneCare is going to stop running at the end of 2009 but what is worse is that Microsoft came out with a Virus Program called "MORRO" the problem is or was that this program was suppose to be tested by 75,000 users, the problem is that when I herd about it, I tried to download it, this was 3 weeks ago and it stipulated that they have reached the 75,000 mark and it will not be available for download until firther notice.
    I realize that there are at the very least 20 Good Internet Protection Programs out there with 5 of them being real good.
    The thing is that all of it is just a scam to make money. This is how it goes, when they make or create a program they also create a virus for it, this is what they teach but we need them just to stay afloat. Windows (Microsoft) is the weakest from my point of view and that of about 6 million.
    Never the less some programs work out good, Why Windows Live OneCare is ending is beyond me because that opens more profits for third party vendors.
    Word about WLOC, I think that this program worked as well as Nortons but with less use of system resources, my guess is that if I had to choose again, I would go back to Nortons which I had for 7 years and never had a crash from Virus/Spyware.
    The thing is, Never mention something until it is ready. 
    mercoledì 22 luglio 2009 22:57

• Hello Fellow Anti-Virus Users (OneCare)
    I really can't understand why Windows Live OneCare is going to stop running at the end of 2009 but what is worse is that Microsoft came out with a Virus Program called "MORRO" the problem is or was that this program was suppose to be tested by 75,000 users, the problem is that when I herd about it, I tried to download it, this was 3 weeks ago and it stipulated that they have reached the 75,000 mark and it will not be available for download until firther notice.
    I realize that there are at the very least 20 Good Internet Protection Programs out there with 5 of them being real good.
    The thing is that all of it is just a scam to make money. This is how it goes, when they make or create a program they also create a virus for it, this is what they teach but we need them just to stay afloat. Windows (Microsoft) is the weakest from my point of view and that of about 6 million.
    Never the less some programs work out good, Why Windows Live OneCare is ending is beyond me because that opens more profits for third party vendors.
    Word about WLOC, I think that this program worked as well as Nortons but with less use of system resources, my guess is that if I had to choose again, I would go back to Nortons which I had for 7 years and never had a crash from Virus/Spyware.
    The thing is, Never mention something until it is ready. 

Bandido1,

Though many of the reasons are quite clearly discussed above, I'll give you the short, simple version.

OneCare didn't become popular enough, partially because it's too bloated with extras to be usable on some Netbook and other types of low power PC sold around the world.  Also, many people won't spend any money on protection, so free is the only true solution.

The cost of supporting OneCare was relatively high, with many back-end servers and other infrastructure required, including Windows Live account and billing systems.  Microsoft Security Essentials is dropping most of this overhead completely, with only definitions and occasional small program updates required through the already exisiting Windows Update delivery system.  This makes it possible to deliver the program and updates to any validated Windows XP (32-bit) and newer Windows OS PC for free.

If your OneCare Subscription was paid up through at least June, yuo should be offered a free 6-month extension and will continue to receive support through the end of your subscription period.  You can choose to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials at any time after it becomes available later this year or to any other program if you prefer something with more abilities included.

Rob
    giovedì 23 luglio 2009 00:45
    Moderatore