none
Live Mail won't open attached .eml files.

Domanda

• In a previous thread (unanswered) I asked why Windows Live Mail won't open saved emails (.eml files). WLM also will not open .eml attachments in emails I receive. I have no problems opening other attachments like movies, pdf's or power point files. This problem does not exist in Windows XP only on my Windows 7 pc. Third party email clients will open these files, why not WLM? Outlook Express never had this issue but since Outlook Express is no longer avaialable I'm forced to using Mozilla Thunderbird or sending the mail to my old XP machine so I can view it there. I would really appreciate if a MS tech would address this issue so I know it is being looked into. I hope MS provides a fix soon. If WLM can't be fixed to work like it does on XP bring back Outlook Express.

Greg
    domenica 20 dicembre 2009 12:01

Risposte

• The fix is in folks. I contacted Windows Live Support and was given the following solution. Be sure to save all your emails and if you don't find an entry in regedit for the second part don't worry I couldn't either but the first registry tweak took care of the issue. Also you may not find Windows Live Mail in you remove programs so just click Windows Live Essentials and choose ONLY Windows Live Mail to be uninstalled. This will all make sense once you follow the links. Best of luck, I hope you issues are solved as mine are.

Greg

Thank you for writing back to Windows Live Mail Technical Support. This is Janet and I am the Subject Matter Expert from the team. I have read your issue opening .eml attachments when using Windows Live Mail under Windows 7 operating system. I know how important it is for you to have your issue addressed.

Greg, the problem you are experiencing may be happening because the program may be corrupted or may not be properly installed.  To help resolve this issue, we need to do a "clean removal" procedure, which completely removes Windows Live Mail from the computer.  Unlike the usual re-installation, this process requires deleting certain entries from your registry.  This method will fix some installation issues and other problems. 

Before you do the "clean removal" procedure, please take note of the important pointers below to avoid losing your messages. 

- If you have a POP3 or IMAP account configured in your e-mail program, please make sure that all your messages are located in your e-mail provider's server.

Then, please follow the step-by-step instructions on how to perform a "clean removal" in the following link:

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!13202.entry?sa=681444564

Note: The "How to remove Windows Live Mail" link has instructions on how to remove the latest and older versions of Windows Live Mail.  Since you cannot check which version you are using, please try to follow the one that is applicable.

After you have done the "clean removal," download and install the latest version [14.0.8089.0726 ] from http://download.live.com.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Mail.

Sincerely,

• Contrassegnato come risposta 7472 FTF martedì 22 dicembre 2009 17:46
    martedì 22 dicembre 2009 17:45

Tutte le risposte

• The fix is in folks. I contacted Windows Live Support and was given the following solution. Be sure to save all your emails and if you don't find an entry in regedit for the second part don't worry I couldn't either but the first registry tweak took care of the issue. Also you may not find Windows Live Mail in you remove programs so just click Windows Live Essentials and choose ONLY Windows Live Mail to be uninstalled. This will all make sense once you follow the links. Best of luck, I hope you issues are solved as mine are.

Greg

Thank you for writing back to Windows Live Mail Technical Support. This is Janet and I am the Subject Matter Expert from the team. I have read your issue opening .eml attachments when using Windows Live Mail under Windows 7 operating system. I know how important it is for you to have your issue addressed.

Greg, the problem you are experiencing may be happening because the program may be corrupted or may not be properly installed.  To help resolve this issue, we need to do a "clean removal" procedure, which completely removes Windows Live Mail from the computer.  Unlike the usual re-installation, this process requires deleting certain entries from your registry.  This method will fix some installation issues and other problems. 

Before you do the "clean removal" procedure, please take note of the important pointers below to avoid losing your messages. 

- If you have a POP3 or IMAP account configured in your e-mail program, please make sure that all your messages are located in your e-mail provider's server.

Then, please follow the step-by-step instructions on how to perform a "clean removal" in the following link:

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!13202.entry?sa=681444564

Note: The "How to remove Windows Live Mail" link has instructions on how to remove the latest and older versions of Windows Live Mail.  Since you cannot check which version you are using, please try to follow the one that is applicable.

After you have done the "clean removal," download and install the latest version [14.0.8089.0726 ] from http://download.live.com.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Mail.

Sincerely,

• Contrassegnato come risposta 7472 FTF martedì 22 dicembre 2009 17:46
    martedì 22 dicembre 2009 17:45
  • This can't be the best solution. 
    It worked fine a month or 2 ago (not sure of time frame, but it did work since I installed Win 7 Pro 64) & now it doesn't. I have 9yrs worth of email imported to this email program from 6 different email accounts. So I simply "make sure that all your messages are located in your e-mail provider's server"?
    This almost has to be a registry issue & now I've got to spend who knows how long fiddling with moving around all of my email (again, since migrating to Win7) because I chose to go w/ MS as a email solution on the newest, best OS ever?
    Could we please "strive to provide you with the highest quality service available" & figure-out something as basic as making a legacy MS file-type function correctly in the MS legacy replacement program - w/out putting 9yrs of data at risk to do it? Thanks.
    domenica 27 dicembre 2009 16:50
  • I guess you should tell MS not me? All I tried to do was pass along the fix they gave me. Sorry this upset you so much. Try contacting support yourself. I'm just a guy that had problems and their solution worked for me so I tried to be helpful and passed it along. I guess no good deed goes unpunished?
    domenica 27 dicembre 2009 18:12
  • Hi, I tried the link and it isnt working? is there another one or the correct link around somewhere as I am also in need of doing a clean registry and install and would rather not reinstall win 7 to achieve it.
    Thanks

sabato 6 febbraio 2010 21:30
  • Sorry for the delay bigtangent, copy and paste the links in a new window or tab instead of clicking them. I don't monitor my threads once I find a fix. I checked the links and they do still work so C&P. Again, sorry for the delay.
    sabato 27 marzo 2010 16:33
  • This whole thing is crazy.  We bought a new computer when Windows 7 first came out and began using Windows Live for our email.  We had no trouble at that time opening any of the attachments to our emails.  Then one day out of the blue we could not open the .eml attachments.  I am thinking something must have happened during one of the Microsoft Windows 7 updates, otherwise why would it work one day then stop working the next.  I'm waiting until THEY (Microsoft) fixes the problem.  I'm not going to go through this supposed fix that 7472 FTF says that Windows Live suggested. 
    domenica 2 maggio 2010 15:42
  • sorry to hear that...

This is the Windows Live Writer Forum; for topics pertaining to 'Windows Live Writer'. This forum is meant to be a resource for those who are looking for more information about Writer or want to start a discussion with the Writer team and other people using Writer.

Unfortunately, you've submitted a query to the wrong forum; but perhaps you can find the right forum(s) here.

Reference Link(s):

For everything Windows LIVE [apps and services]
          https://support.live.com/
          http://windowslivehelp.com/

OR

For General Microsoft topics...
          http://support.microsoft.com/
          http://support.microsoft.com/search/

Hope this helps. 
    lunedì 3 maggio 2010 01:53
  • I am using windows 7 could not open .eml emails on desktop,have found a way to do this you must right click on email, then choose open with, then choose default programs and browse this will open windows explorer.  Proceed to your x86 program files look for windows live open this and you choose mail open this and find wlmail program.  Add this to your default programs and make this the default.  hopefully this will cure your problem.  Done it for me Good Luck.
    sabato 22 maggio 2010 11:48
  • I had the same problem trying to open a file attachment ending .eml     I got it to open by doing the following. 

1.  go to my computer, 2. click on C drive, 3. click on programsx86,  4. click on windows live, 5. click on mail, 6. click on wlmail.exe   after these moves your e mail with the .eml attachment should open.  It did for me        Your Welcome

• Modificato Ozona venerdì 25 giugno 2010 00:15 additional info
    venerdì 25 giugno 2010 00:11
  • 7472 FTF:

Thank you very much for your response to my post.  I will give this a try.  I cannot copy the link, so I have to write it down and then type it in by hand.  I can't copy the link for the download either, but that is a small one to hand type.

Again, thanks for your assistance.  I will let you know how I do.

pitbull32

sabato 10 luglio 2010 01:54
  • 7472 FTF:

Well, it worked for me.  I can now view .eml files in my windows live mail program.  Thanks a million.

pitbull32

sabato 10 luglio 2010 15:59
  • Listen up.

Finally after spending two frustrating days I solved the .eml problem.

Go to Control Panel

Programs

Uninstall a program

Windows Live Essentials

Click repair

Amazing when the repair was finished I could open any and all .eml mail

kuprrr

• Proposto come risposta Cavanock giovedì 28 ottobre 2010 23:43
    lunedì 26 luglio 2010 21:55
  • I have no option for repair. I can only uninstall or change. I'm totally fed up with this!
    • Proposto come risposta bahenson1 venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 01:16
    • Proposta come risposta annullata bahenson1 venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 01:17
    venerdì 6 agosto 2010 00:07
  • I have no option for repair. I can only uninstall or change. I'm totally fed up with this!

lynnefitzgerald....... double click the program and give it a second. a box will pop up and give you the option to uninstall or repair. i just hit repair, and not only did it fix the .eml problem... but 2 other programs i did not know had a problem!
    domenica 8 agosto 2010 01:09
  • Thanks. You helped me
    mercoledì 18 agosto 2010 18:52
  • Thanks Kuprrr!   That worked for me (Win XP).

Control Panel > Uninstall Programs > Windows Live Mail > Change > Repair

lunedì 18 ottobre 2010 18:42
  • Tried that but it did not fix the probelem for me.  Windows 7.
    lunedì 1 novembre 2010 09:55
  • Tried that but it did not fix the probelem for me.  Windows 7.
    lunedì 1 novembre 2010 09:55
  • thanks, this worked for me (win 7)
    mercoledì 24 novembre 2010 18:44
  • While it is true that an update to Windows 7 64 bit had probably fouled up my machine's ability to view a .eml file, this suggestion to repair has restored this ability.......I know I could view .eml files, when I installed "7" on this machine less than two weeks ago.....also, if you cannot resolve your ability to read .eml files, I would suggest searching for and downloading a free .eml viewer by the name of Kernel EML Viewer.......

martedì 7 dicembre 2010 16:59
  • Fantastic and I didn't even have to do an uninstall just a repair.  Anyway, thanks a lot for figuring out how to fix this problem then letting folks know.

raincitypeople

lunedì 3 gennaio 2011 22:05
  • This works for me.  I save the .eml file to Microsoft Word Starter which came with my Windows 7 OS.  Then I open files, and click "all files"  (rectagular box to right) so the .eml file shows up.  Then I double click the file, and it shows up just fine in Word. Hope this works for you.  John
    mercoledì 9 marzo 2011 14:58
  • I too spent a lot of time trying to solve this problem and yours was the simplest and most effective.  Thanks again.
    lunedì 30 maggio 2011 16:28
  • I find that this works for me BUT it won't STAY 'repaired'. Within a week or even a few days it's back to not opening forwarded .eml files. I have to keep coming back to this page to find out how to 'repair' my wlm. With all the complaints here, I fail to understand why Microsoft can't make a permanent fix to this problem with their software. SO whenever something is about to 'unrepair' my WLM essentials it would tell me or at least ask for permission!
    giovedì 2 giugno 2011 23:23
  • EML files are what is created when you forward an email itself as an attachment rather than just including below the message.

They can be opened by any text program (e.g. Microsoft Word, Notepad, Wordpad). The benefit of opening them in Live Mail is that you get all the correct formatting

You should also be able to get them to open in your Windows Live Mail programme by doing the following
    1. Click the Start button
    2. Type "file type" (without quotes) in the search box
    3. A link for "Make a file type always open in a specific program" in the Control Panel should appear. Click on it.
    4. A list of extensions will appear (in alphabetical order). Scroll down to find .eml and double-click it
    5. A list of Recommended Programs should appear. Select one of these (e.g. Windows Live Mail) and click OK
      • If Windows Live mail isn't list in the Recommended or Other Programs section, click the Browse button and navigate to where Windows Live Mail is installed (usually under C:\Program Files\Windows Live\)

Thom McKiernan (UK) @thommck | thommck.wordpress.com | MCSA | MCTS
    lunedì 20 giugno 2011 11:07
  • EML files are what is created when you forward an email itself as an attachment rather than just including below the message.

They can be opened by any text program (e.g. Microsoft Word, Notepad, Wordpad). The benefit of opening them in Live Mail is that you get all the correct formatting

You should also be able to get them to open in your Windows Live Mail programme by doing the following
    1. Click the Start button
    2. Type "file type" (without quotes) in the search box
    3. A link for "Make a file type always open in a specific program" in the Control Panel should appear. Click on it.
    4. A list of extensions will appear (in alphabetical order). Scroll down to find .eml and double-click it
    5. A list of Recommended Programs should appear. Select one of these (e.g. Windows Live Mail) and click OK
      • If Windows Live mail isn't list in the Recommended or Other Programs section, click the Browse button and navigate to where Windows Live Mail is installed (usually under C:\Program Files\Windows Live\)

Thom McKiernan (UK) @thommck | thommck.wordpress.com | MCSA | MCTS
    No .eml in the list of extensions.  I also don't have the "repair" option described above.  Only the "uninstall and then reinstall" option.
    mercoledì 29 giugno 2011 19:23
  • I hate to say it but not one of those things work to help with the problem of not being able to open up those eml files. I can't understand why the heck that microsoft took away a perfectly good email with outlook express and put in this windows live mail that jut totally sucks. You can't send photos like before and now they go out on the web somewhere. If I wanted them posted on the web somewhere I would do that. All I want to do is send them in an email to my friends. So I SURE AS HECK HOPE THAT THEY FIX THIS MESS THEY MADE SOON. 
    venerdì 1 luglio 2011 15:25
  • I've also been using Live Mail since I started using Windows Seven which was installed on a new computer.  I've been having the same issue with eml files and just spent the entire morning going through various fixes.  What has worked for me finally is that I saved the eml file to my desktop and then tried to open it.  Of course, I got the error message saying the file wouldn't open.  I also didn't have .eml as a file type in my list of file extensions.  I already had Incredimail installed on my computer, so I chose it from the programs I had installed to open that file.  It opened.  Then I went back into the list of extensions, and there magically was the .eml extension.  Hope someone else can use this solution that worked for me.
    mercoledì 20 luglio 2011 16:16
  • Worked PERFECT.  After the repair all .eml files opened.  Thanks!!!
    mercoledì 10 agosto 2011 18:51
  • The repair steps worked best and fast.  Check out kuprrr instructions.
    mercoledì 10 agosto 2011 18:53
  • I tried all the recommendations listed in this thread and none worked for me. I was however able to "forward as attachment" to myself and the email I got did nothing other than list the .eml file, but still would not open. What's weird is the original attachment that I was trying to access started working for me. I don't know if this has permanently resolved this issue yet, but at least it let me open the attachment. Also, I was able to go to mail.live.com sign in and open my attachment from there. Obviously my problem is limited to the software, which I repaired, uninstalled/reinstalled with no change.
    • Proposto come risposta ATeamJunkie giovedì 3 novembre 2011 19:52
    giovedì 3 novembre 2011 19:48
  •     Are you kidding me? Those of you who work on computers all day forget about those of us who grew up and were in school before there was such a thing as a home computer or the internet. We need a fix from you that is more simple.....granted , I realize this fix can be done by most four year olds , but I don't understand it...What I do understand is the amount of money I spent for the new laptop and new home computer with windows7 that will not open the exact same file it created and sent...pop3????...imap??????make sure my emails are located in my emails server??????? Are you saying I have to spend another $2,000 and have someone I don't even know or trust come into my home?????? I'm thinking I should have ponied up for the mac.
    • Modificato bahenson1 venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 00:54
    venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 00:49
  • I see organize...I see  Uninstall/Change......I see the word "repair" above...I do not see where to click Repair....Please help

Found it...Had to double click windows live mail...Clicked repair...error came up about sign in assistant...tried to open an .eml and it still did not work.....frustration
    • Modificato bahenson1 venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 01:16
    venerdì 24 febbraio 2012 01:08
  • Re-register Win Live Mail as the default mail program

with IE-11:  Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab>Set Programs button -> control panel>default programs will open>Set Program Access and Computer Defaults>'set live mail as the default handler'

VOIL,A all done

for some intermittent and unknown reason updates, security software, etc. 'breaks the default association' ~ also the 'send page' and send link' email link options under Page will be 'greyed out' ~ mail and explorer work together and are 'touchy' even when a-ok

venerdì 3 gennaio 2014 00:02