There are so many threads on this topic, but nothing that I've read helps. Here's my situation:
- I created a work resource and set his max units to 50%
- I create a new task, fixed units, effort driven, estimated at 8 hrs
- I'm using the standard calendar for both my resource and project (8 working hours per day)... I never check the 'ignore resource calendars' checkbox
- I assign my resource to the task and level
- The task completes in 8 hrs
- The resource usage sheet shows my usage is only working 4 hrs (not overallocated)
- There's no deadline set, no constraint date, constraint type is ASAP
My understanding of what project should do is that it should extend the task to a duration of two days... But instead it happily says my resource can accomplish an 8-hour task in 4 hours. Go resource!
Things I've tried:
- Using Fixed Work, Fixed Duration, and Fixed Units, each with and without 'Effort Driven' checked. No dice.
- Explicitly assigning the standard calendar to the task (still not checking the 'ignore resource calendars'). Nope.
- Removing the resource and re-assigning him after each of the above combinations. Huh-uh.
- Unchecking the 'Estimated' box... grasping at straws now, so... no.
- Adding other resources with different max units - no.
- Clearing the leveling first - no.
- Setting Leveling options to hour by hour - no.
It's just not happening. >:o
I assumed at first that I just didn't understand how this is supposed to work, but everything I read makes me think it is... all I want to do is have an 8-hour task be assigned to someone who can work 4 hours a day, and have project understand it will take two days for him to finish it. So frustrated, and every time I work with project I get angry and my blood pressure goes through the roof.
I could probably do this by changing the resource calendar to say he's only working from 8:00 - 12:00... but that just seems like a shoddy answer.
Greatly appreciate any help with this... thank you in advance!
- 編集済み SngBrdB 2012年4月5日 22:06 spacing didn't match
I performed the first 3 of your steps from above:
- created a work resource and set his max units to 50%
- create a new task, fixed units, effort driven, estimated at 8 hrs (Mine was shown as a 1 day duration task with 8 hours of Work)
- assign the resource to the task (I did not level)
When I do that I get a task that is now 2 days in duration with the resource working 4 hours on each day.
I think what MIGHT be happening is that when you mention "8hours" you are talking about Duration. If I do the steps above but I do not enter 8 hours in Work but enter 8 hours in duration, then I get your result. the reason is that Project sees Duration as the span of time that the effort will occur within and Work as the 'person-hours' of effort to accomplish the task. Since it seems like you left Work blank and only entered duration, Project took that duration and the 50% max units of the resource and made it 4 hours of work accross that 1 day (8hours) of duration.
I believe Brian has hit root of your confusion. You want to be able to say there is 8 hours of work to be done and if I assign someone to the task who only works 4 hours per day (max units = 50%), you want that 8 hours of work to be spread over 2 days.
You have entered 8 hours in the duration field and without further input from you -- project calculates the work when you assign the resource.
Duration * units = Work
8 hours * 50% = 4 hours.
Try splitting your screen - View tab, uncheck "Timeline" and check "Details". This should show you the task form in the bottom. Don't worry about durations, but as you select the resource's name from the task form, enter in the 8 hours of work - Project will calculate the appropriate duration to get the amount of work you've entered accomplished by the resource given the max units.
I hope this helps.
2012年4月6日 13:38モデレータOT: congrats Brian. Nice to see you back in the "fold" :-)
That's it, thank you!!
By default, Project gives you the 'duration' column in the Gantt chart, not the 'work' column (which has never made sense to me). I knew this was an issue, but had forgotten about it. When you double-click on the task to bring up the edit dialog box, once again, there is no work field... only a 'duration' field.
To fix this, I simply added the work column to my Gantt chart view, and discarded the duration field. I would think something this simple, but critical, would be at the forefront of design thoughts; I can't believe how many hours I wasted on something so trivial to resolve. Hopefully your answers will help others, as well.
Thanks again to Brian and Julie, you've saved me a ton of frustration!
- 編集済み SngBrdB 2012年4月9日 13:36 Added the resolution
You're most welcome and thank you for the feedback.