Printer Sharing between 64-bit and 32-bit Machines

질문

• I just tried to set up printer sharing between my Vista box (AMD 64) and my laptop (Intel Pentium 4 -- 32-bit) and received the message that the OneCare 2.0 Beta does not support printer sharing between these two processor architectures. 

Pourquoi?  This seems like a relatively common situation; I cannot be the only person who has a 64-bit machine sitting across the room from a 32-bit box.

Thank you.

Ed

2007년 9월 19일 수요일 오전 4:35

답변

• Hi Ed

You are correct that there are lots of people with mixed environment. Unfortunately for printer sharing to work we need to transfer the driver and it is hard to get it right across architecture

Thanks

Neeraj

2007년 9월 19일 수요일 오전 7:41

모든 응답

• Hi Ed

You are correct that there are lots of people with mixed environment. Unfortunately for printer sharing to work we need to transfer the driver and it is hard to get it right across architecture

Thanks

Neeraj

2007년 9월 19일 수요일 오전 7:41
  • Thanks, Neeraj.  That makes sense, but if you had the printer driver in both places -- the 64-bit version on the AMD box and the 32-bit version on the Intel machine -- would you then be able to transfer only the post-processed output file?  I realize it means the customer must maintain two drivers but that seems like a reasonable price to pay to be able to share printers effectively.

Ed

2007년 9월 19일 수요일 오후 4:08
  • Hi Ed,

if you maintain both the drivers, theoritically it is possible to setup printer sharing to work. However, our feature design wise we just avoid cross architecture as none of the customers in practice do that. The very rare ones who do do that, can also setup remote printer sharing as it is just one more step after that :-). We can send you instructions on how to set it up manually if you would like.

Thanks,

-Vikram.

Sr.Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare.

2007년 9월 24일 월요일 오후 12:33
  • Hello

i'm trying to print from a presario c500 (64-bit) to an older windows xp pc with printer sharing enabled. printing works but the characters print in reverse. is this a driver incompatibility on the two sides, any manual ways of fixing this?

thanks Venu

2007년 10월 6일 토요일 오후 8:21
  •  vincentvega wrote:

Hello

i'm trying to print from a presario c500 (64-bit) to an older windows xp pc with printer sharing enabled. printing works but the characters print in reverse. is this a driver incompatibility on the two sides, any manual ways of fixing this?

thanks Venu

Hello, Venu. If you are not using Windows Live OneCare beta 2.0 and this is a general printer sharing issue,  then you're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Windows newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx

-steve

2007년 10월 8일 월요일 오전 2:17
  •  

Has this issue been resolved in OneCare and/or Vista generally?
    2007년 11월 18일 일요일 오전 1:42
  •  Dyor wrote:

What problem are you referring to? If your printer has drivers that work on both 32 bit ad 64 bit and Vista and XP, you can share between them. OneCare automates sharing of printers on the same network for locally attached printers, but it cannot share a printer between x64 and 32 bit.

-steve

2007년 11월 19일 월요일 오전 2:46
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     Dyor wrote:

What problem are you referring to? If your printer has drivers that work on both 32 bit ad 64 bit and Vista and XP, you can share between them. OneCare automates sharing of printers on the same network for locally attached printers, but it cannot share a printer between x64 and 32 bit.

-steve

I all

I have the same issue, vista 64bit unable to install additional drive so that other PC whcih have 32 bit can use the printer is there any why this can be fixed

2008년 4월 10일 목요일 오전 5:03
  • Chris, if you are referring to the OneCare printer sharing feature, you will not be able to use it to share between 32 and 64 bit.

You will need to manually install and configure the printer driver to the machines based on the availability of drivers from the printer manufacturer and make sure that the printer is Shared by the host machine.

-steve

2008년 4월 10일 목요일 오후 12:44
  •  WLOC-Vikram wrote:

Hi Ed,

if you maintain both the drivers, theoritically it is possible to setup printer sharing to work. However, our feature design wise we just avoid cross architecture as none of the customers in practice do that. The very rare ones who do do that, can also setup remote printer sharing as it is just one more step after that :-). We can send you instructions on how to set it up manually if you would like.

Thanks,

-Vikram.

Sr.Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare.

Can you send the instructions to me. I have a laptop running 64 bit and a desktop running 32 bit. I would think there is a workaround that does not involve OneCare.

2008년 8월 22일 금요일 오전 7:43
  • Blayde, in a mixed environment, share the printer manually in Windows.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx

-steve

2008년 8월 22일 금요일 오후 1:10
  • I tried that however it did not work. I can not gain access.

I have printer sharing on and password removed. We are all in the same workgroup and I enabled all the printer sharing features in Windows Features.

Is there a way to post a screen shot on the forums?

Also is there a way to find the TCP/IP addres or hostname?

2008년 8월 22일 금요일 오후 4:33
  • Screenshots and other attachments aren't supported in the forums.

I assume that the printer is attached to one computer and you wish to share it with another one, but that PC cannot access the printer - either denied or just can't find the printer.

Try the following:

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

2008년 8월 22일 금요일 오후 5:26
  • The printer is connected and shows up on the network. I rechecked all the settings and I should be able to connect to it. I think this is more of a 32bit to 64bit issue. I have no problem with it otherwise.

I was reading about virtual servers.

My desktop which is where the printer is attached to is operating on viste 32bit home premium but I have the 64 bit available. I was thinking of attempting to use a virtual server that would be running 64 bit vista operating system. If I Did this would I be able to use one care to share printers across architectures?

Also I have never attempted this so before I even try I might as well see if this is even a possiblity.

My Desktop is a Quad Processor with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HardDrive with a 250 GB external. Space is not an issues and I think speed would be fine.

Any thoughts?

2008년 8월 22일 금요일 오후 6:56
  • If it shows up on the network, you would need to install drivers for it on the 64 bit machine to use it from the 32 bit machine - and you'd need to make sure that it was properly shared. There's an option within sharing for the printer about password protected sharing - uncheck that and see if it works.

-steve

2008년 8월 22일 금요일 오후 7:23
  • I have a similar situation, Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) on a network (6 stations) with a Kyocera FS-2020D attached to it attempting to share it with a client with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Everything shows up perfectly in "Devices and Printers" on Windows 7 (64 bit) machine and is set as default on this machine but will not print. All others on the network can print to this printer. Can you send instructions on setting it up manually. Thanks in advance,
    2011년 4월 2일 토요일 오후 12:23
  • I have a similar situation, Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) on a network (6 stations) with a Kyocera FS-2020D attached to it attempting to share it with a client with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Everything shows up perfectly in "Devices and Printers" on Windows 7 (64 bit) machine and is set as default on this machine but will not print. All others on the network can print to this printer. Can you send instructions on setting it up manually. Thanks in advance,

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare

Your question may be better posted to one of the forums linked below, if the above references don't help.

Windows 7: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7 

XP: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

-steve

Printer Sharing manually from Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/printers.mspx

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/ 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Share-a-printer

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    2011년 4월 4일 월요일 오후 3:25